VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

A Model Letter And An Urgent Request!

Rate this question

allan

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Thursday, September 04, 2008

A Model Letter and an Urgent Request!

Here is a sample letter written by one of our VASVW members and sent to Chairman Filner and Congressman Hall. We reproduce it here as an example of a finely crafted letter that can be used as a model for your own letter.

Honorable Congressman Bob Filner

Chairman House Committee on Veteran Affairs

335 Cannon House Office Building

Washington, DC 20515

Re: HR 6562

Dear Sir:

I am a Blue Water Vietnam Veteran serving my tour of duty with RVAH-1 attached to Carrier Air Group 3 onboard the USS Saratoga 1972-73. I come from a family of 6 boys and 2 girls. All six of us boys have served in the Armed Forces with me and an older brother serving in Vietnam. Him in the Army, me in the Navy. Out of the six my older brother and I myself suffer from Type II Diabetes. There is no history in my family of Type II Diabetes other than my brother and I. My brother receives a service connected disability for his Type II Diabetes, I don’t. The math is easy on this one!

Furthermore I am the single dad of a 12 year old son with a disability and struggle everyday with the hurdles life throws our way. I used to be a gung ho patriot and supporter of our Armed Forces but that seems to have diminished as I feel so forsaken by the Veterans Administration and my plight for benefits.

Each time I recall washing the green tree stains from the aircraft after low level strafing runs or put on a uniform and devoured substance that had been exposed to contaminated water I wonder why I served so proudly.

I write you in hopes of urging you to get HR 6562 passed this term and then float a new bill to cover everyone else. Sir I need this not for principle but a matter of survival.

Your utmost attention to this matter would be greatly appreciated.

signature

Cc: Congressman John H. Hall, NY

Folks, time is running out. Get those letters faxed to FIlner and Hall ASAP!

We will be in Washington next week banging on the doors of Congress. The bill has to come out of committee next week and go for a floor vote. Same in the Senate. It has to be introduced in the Senate yet, however.

This is very urgent!

Once again, please contact us using the "Email Me" link on the left sidebar with the name of the Representative or Senator that you contacted who pledged to co-sponsor HR 6562 in the House or the Senate. We do not need to waste time on those CongressCritters who will co-sponsor, we need to concentrate on those who have not! Please do this ASAP!

Thank you!

Remember to check out the VASVW at Yahoo Groups and join today. It is free! IT is not restricted to Navy, but includes Vets from Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, and Coast Guard, Fleet Marine, and Air Force Vietnam Veterans. Look for the Ship's Wheel logo on the left sidebar!

VNVets

”It is a stain on this nation's honor that the Department of Veterans Affairs has become a deadlier and more difficult adversary to the American veteran than any they have ever faced on a battlefield."-- VNVets

"The concept that Agent Orange, and its effects, stopped dead in its tracks at the shoreline is simply too illogical, and too ludicrous to accept. What does that say about the Bush Administration and his Department of Veterans Affairs?"--VNVets

"With malice toward none; with charity for all; with firmness in the right, as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in; to bind up the nation's wounds; to care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan--to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace, among ourselves, and with all nations." --President Abraham Lincoln

"It follows than as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious."--President George Washington

Copyright © 2005-2008: VNVets Blog; All Rights Reserved.

Posted by Novus Livy at 03:46

http://vnvets.blogspot.com/2008/09/model-letter-and-urgent-request.html

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

A sample letter...an example...says it all. Take what you want, use it as you may. This person was writing his views, but as it is written at the top of the page, prior to the heading of his letter, it is a sample letter...an example.

We may choose to learn from the essence of the writings, not always the correct use of grammatical or punctuation they may use. I hope those who have similar cases, as this topic with the VA, may gain in their process too. It is by sharing our trials and issues we can assist others, and help our fellow vets. :angry:

• HadIt.com Elder

My point is Jay,

if you make mentally disabled vets feel that their letters need to be finely crafted or it's a waste of time, there won't be any sent in. they plain won't bother.

A good many vets that were drafted didn't go to harvard and with mental disorders from the toxins the author may have done the best they can.

Maybe you could go to the Vietnam Vets web site and share your ideas on how to change the example letter. That may be a way to help many that choose to use it.

I did take your post some what out of context and apologize for that.

Let us know what you and southern bell come up with for an example letter. I'll pass it out to the other Vet boards.

Allan