VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Pain Management At The Va

Rate this question

john999

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I went to pain management appointment today at the VAMC here in Tampa. The upshot is that they decided they are stopping my narcotic medications. The head nurse(not a doctor) just decided that narcotics were inappropriate for my conditions and what I really need is intestinal fortitude and PT. She was a complete blockhead and it was no use pointing out to her over and over that I had been on narcotic meds for years and that giving me 4 weeks to get off them without consulting my primary care doctor or anyone else is fascistic. I told the blockhead that just yesterday I could hardly walk due to the pain in my feet....no response. I already called a private pain management doctor and set up an appointment, but I am burning up with anger at being treated like scum on the VA's shoe. Where else do pain doctors just cut you off your medications without discussion or taking your opinion into account? The VA is trying to push all the pain patients into some kind of pain mangage program either in-patient(hell no) or out-patient. I don't want to participate in anything like that with those clowns. What can I do to just get my pain meds as I did before. I complained about being given only a choice of morphine or methadone, so they cut me off everything. I am pissed, but making plans. I may just stop using the VA system all together. I am sick of being treated like a charity case by these jerks. I have good insurance and I don't need them at all except to document my disabilities. I am P&T so do I even need that?

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Pete 53 you are so right. People who have severe chronic pain should not have to suffer. Especially if they have suffered for years and finally found some prescriptive medication that may take the edge off of their pain. No dopers or pill pushers here. Just broken down vets with chronic painful conditions. Thank goodness for real doctors(civilian in my case) who care enough for their patients and do not allow their suffering.

Edited by halos2

• HadIt.com Elder

If you say the word "oxycontin" in Florida you may be arrested on the spot. The war on drugs is a war on sick people. The VA presribed me oxycodone for years even though it was inadequate because they consider oxycontin( a long acting version of oxycodone) a drug that could be abused. From what I have read chronic pain is the most undertreated disease in the USA. I am service connected for chronic pain and yet the VA cuts off my meds. Can you believe that? If I had no other insurance I would be going through a long withdrawl.

How many times have you seen a news report of someone who takes heavy duty be able to function and have a decent life?

I am just sick of how the VA treats Veterans. We deserve better.

I DID MY LAST TWO YEARS OF ACTIVE DUTY TAKING OXYCONTIN AND TYLOX FOR BREAK THROUGH. I FUNCTIONED AND DID MY JOB AND NOBODY WAS THE WISER