VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Prescrbed Meds And Disability Ratings.

Rate this topic

One time I asked my Mental Health provider if she

could RX a magic pill for me, she responded by saying,

"I can't prescribe cocaine".

That was Dr. Lori Shriner, then at Bay Pines VAMC.

carlie

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone very close to me, died last year from an accidental overdose of his VA scrips. He mentioned to someone that he wasnt feeling well a couple of days after he started taking them (in additon to his other meds he was already taking). When this person told him to call his doctor, he aid he would 'wait' until his appointment early the next week to mention it to his doctor. Said the side effects mentioned what he was feeling. That was on Saturday. They found him dead on Monday morning. It was ruled that he died late Saturday night or early Sunday morning.

I was always afraid of taking my pain meds, they only help me sleep, the pain never goes away. Now Im terrified..........

One thing he told me during my fight with the VA was to 'never give up'. In his honor, I wont.

Hello,

If ever you are prescribed a script and do not want to take it, just tell the doctor. Same as if you ever wanted to change doctors, do that. You not wanting to take a certain medication does not mean that you are not in compliance with your medication regime. The provider can state that the patient refused the certain medication but with that information, they must state why. I have refused many medications and medical procedures AND have even changed a provider because I lost confidence in them. With that said, I have had no complications with my compensation claim or treatment given by the VA.

Maybe I am one of the lucky ones but, I actually have confidence in the treatment the VA is providing me. As for the cost of medications, my total medication bill comes up to over $7,000 a month,,, all paid by the VA. Many of those drugs had to be approved and every single one that needed approval, got the approval.

Funny thing, you hear a lot of complaints about the VA. My experience with the VA has been wonderful. The VA has saved my life,,, a few times. I can recall using my civilian insurance and went from doctor to doctor and my health continued to decline. Then,,, eventually ended up at the VA and,,, HERE I AM!!! ---smile---

So, if you do not want to take a med, tell the provider. Remember, if you accept the medication and do not take it,,, it becomes a waste of medication,,, a waste of money,,, and well, that is not really fair to other Vets and tax payers. If you do not feel comfortable with a provider,,, change the provider because your health is what is important. Lastly, if you come across a medication and you want the provider to look into that medication,,, please bring that information up to them.

Good luck,

Tayo

• HadIt.com Elder

ha,ha, Pete that is the truth. I got in trouble because I did not want to take the cheap morphine or methadone. The first pain doctor said I should get fentenol patches but they were not in the formulary (too expensive). I was bounced back to me Primary and then back to the Pain Management and then cut off all narcotics after 5 years. That was my payback for speaking up about side effects. I am glad you trust the VA, Tayo, but I feel they place cost above all other concerns. Also, they were trying to jam me into an in-patient pain management program and I did not want that so I got paid back for being independent. They want me to spend 19 days in a four person room to get healed. I have to be off all narcotics to participate. Even the out-patient program they are cooking up demands you be off narcotics. Maybe they got it into their heads I wanted to be in these programs even though I told them "NO" over and over again. I would not let the VA operate on my pet frog.

• HadIt.com Elder

This is good discussion and yes, I'll decide to take a prescibed medicine or not. If I fill the script, I'll use it or say why not, just my way.

Been on new meds and told to take another 'new' power med asap?

Just got a 60% rating correction.

Put in eed claim for the lost decade (I'm mad ,really mad...years of lost care, compensation, etc. !!)

IF power med helps alot, Halleleujah, for me and family!

But if I'm better, the rating may change. yikes. well ok.

My concern,

If the newly achieved corrected rating changes; could this affect the EED claim?

thanks for reading my worries and gripes,

cg'up!

Edited by cowgirl

• HadIt.com Elder

cowgirl

You can get better just don't tell the VA. As far as they are concerned you are getting worse or staying the same.