VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ao Korea 1968

Rate this question

Dick

Question

This is my 1st post since joining so i hope my question will come across and make sense to the reader. I was in Korea from Dec 1968 til Jan 1970 and was with the 2nd Batallion 72nd Armor 2nd ID. During that time I had duty on the DMZ though i don't remember the dates. I was also at Camp Casey for NCO school starting July 29 til Aug 29. I have completed the AOR and completed my C&P's as required. I have posted on other forums and have gotten positive answers to most of my questions. I got an e-mail from an individual who says he works with a former engineering Cpt Stewart who works through congressmen and Senators to get all the cards out on regarding AO exposure for all troops stationed there during the AO use. He told me to get a tight grip and hang on for a long ride because my claim will be denied. This goes contrary to what i have been told up to his e-mail. My unit is one of the units presumed to have been exposed during the time frame and i have been dz with DM11 and my Dr. in July put in writing that i am 100% disabled and may never work again. This was a shock to my system and it is a result of problems with my DM11. Now i have to fight SS & the VA. I haven't been able to find a web site where veterans that have been awarded their claim and the process they had to go through to get approved. I meet the 3 requirement listed so i was wondering the reason that i could be denied? Any help or info would be greatly appreciated. I just learned in March 2008 that AO was even used in Korea. Dealing with the VA is new to me though to-date they have been what i consider fast and fair with my claim .

Thanks

Dick

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Thanks for your service Dick-

I am involved with a group that is asking Congressman Filner to make sure ALL vets exposed to AO anywhere at all get proper compensation for their presumptive

disabilities.

This is for the Agent Orange Equity Act, HR 6965.

The main leader of the push for inclusion of ALL ao vets is a Thailand AO vet who recently proved his claim and got sensitive Mil documents that reveal AO was used at many US installations in Thailand.

Many AO Korea vets also have been awarded AO comp-at the BVA web site (we dont knowe how many at RO level were awarded) and recently the AMC even awarded a AO vet due to his exposure to AO-in Alaska!

MY AO Korean unit list says-2nd Brigade,2nd ID ,1-72 Armor.

Units exposed were near the southern edge of the DMZ north of the civilian control line between April-August 1968 and between May to July of 1969.

Did you get a VCAA letter from the VA yet? Also did they send you an Election response form?

Here at hadit under a search is some of the claims to include AO Korea vet claims that have been awarded via the BVA for exposure outside of Vietnam.

Here are two of them-you might have to copy and paste the links into the browser if the links dont work:

http://www.va.gov/vetapp07/files5/0739875.txt

http://www.va.gov/vetapp07/files4/0729785.txt

You filed in March 2008?

One thing is for sure- there is a tremendous backlog of claims these days at the ROS and the BVA-no claim is going to get a fast award.

Many many claims are denied too in spite of excellent evcidence-

and then finally awarded after a tedious appeal scenario.

I suggest you go to the BVA web site :

http://www.index.va.gov/search/va/bva.html

and search by year Agent Orange Korea

Right away you will see how the VA is strickly adhering to the date criteria as well as to the unit list-

Agent Orange has been the most compelling veterans issue I ever have dealt with- my husband was in the original AO Settlement fund-the Dow lawsuit-and I have seen not only the list of presumptives grow but also the list of confirmed exposures to include Korea units and dates above.

A veteran with bonafide proof of exposure and a presumptive AO disability CAN get SC no matter where or when they served by direct SC regs.

You seem to me to definitely fit the bill for the presumptive regs.

Do you have copies of your inservice personnel records and SMRs?

"I got an e-mail from an individual who says he works with a former engineering Cpt Stewart who works through congressmen and Senators to get all the cards out on regarding AO exposure for all troops stationed there during the AO use."

Does he have a web site or is he with any internet vet org?

Thanks for your service Dick-

I am involved with a group that is asking Congressman Filner to make sure ALL vets exposed to AO anywhere at all get proper compensation for their presumptive

disabilities.

This is for the Agent Orange Equity Act, HR 6965.

The main leader of the push for inclusion of ALL ao vets is a Thailand AO vet who recently proved his claim and got sensitive Mil documents that reveal AO was used at many US installations in Thailand.

Many AO Korea vets also have been awarded AO comp-at the BVA web site (we dont knowe how many at RO level were awarded) and recently the AMC even awarded a AO vet due to his exposure to AO-in Alaska!

MY AO Korean unit list says-2nd Brigade,2nd ID ,1-72 Armor.

Units exposed were near the southern edge of the DMZ north of the civilian control line between April-August 1968 and between May to July of 1969.

Did you get a VCAA letter from the VA yet? Also did they send you an Election response form?

Here at hadit under a search is some of the claims to include AO Korea vet claims that have been awarded via the BVA for exposure outside of Vietnam.

Here are two of them-you might have to copy and paste the links into the browser if the links dont work:

http://www.va.gov/vetapp07/files5/0739875.txt

http://www.va.gov/vetapp07/files4/0729785.txt

You filed in March 2008?

One thing is for sure- there is a tremendous backlog of claims these days at the ROS and the BVA-no claim is going to get a fast award.

Many many claims are denied too in spite of excellent evcidence-

and then finally awarded after a tedious appeal scenario.

I suggest you go to the BVA web site :

http://www.index.va.gov/search/va/bva.html

and search by year Agent Orange Korea

Right away you will see how the VA is strickly adhering to the date criteria as well as to the unit list-

Agent Orange has been the most compelling veterans issue I ever have dealt with- my husband was in the original AO Settlement fund-the Dow lawsuit-and I have seen not only the list of presumptives grow but also the list of confirmed exposures to include Korea units and dates above.

A veteran with bonafide proof of exposure and a presumptive AO disability CAN get SC no matter where or when they served by direct SC regs.

You seem to me to definitely fit the bill for the presumptive regs.

Do you have copies of your inservice personnel records and SMRs?

"I got an e-mail from an individual who says he works with a former engineering Cpt Stewart who works through congressmen and Senators to get all the cards out on regarding AO exposure for all troops stationed there during the AO use."

Does he have a web site or is he with any internet vet org?

Thanks to evryone who has replied to my post. The ex Cpt's name is Phil Stewart and the individual i got the e-mail from address is "hawkvets@gmail.com . I know Cpt Phil and his group of people have been working tirelessly for years on this AO situation in Korea. I believe in my soul they will prove it was used in Korea later than July 1968. I guess my only concern for the time frame April 1968 to July 1969 is i may not have been on the DMZ in that time period. I may have been there in the later part of 69. It's a shame the old brain is failing me now . I can visualize the post i was assigned to while on the Z. I have pictures but have no dates on them. Go figure. I was at Camp Casey the last 3 days of July 69 and there was a Vet awarded his claim and his BVA case said nothing about him being on the Z but only that he was stationed at Camp Casey. I was with the 2nd Batallion 72nd Armor and they too have presumption. The word i got was if i met the 3 criteria for presumption i didn't have to prove i was even on the DMZ. [1] in country during April68 til July 69 [2]assigned to a listed unit during the same time frame [3] one of the presumptive ailments listed. I meet all 3 requirements but i don't know if it also includes being on the Z during the same time frame. When i was first Dx with DM11 my mother done a family background check and the was no record or history going back 150 years on either side. My family Dr. wrote a letter to the VA stating this and the fact that i have none of the risks for diabetes so a more likely than not cause was the exposure to the AO. With the problems i am having with my health today i may not live long enough to see this thing through. Sorry to sound so unsure of myself but this is my first go-around with anything like this with the VA. I always felt so hurt when i would read about our Viet Nam vets and all the hurt they were going thru because of AO and now to find myself in the same situation really brings the problem home. It was almost 40 years after i left Korea before i was aware of the AO situation. How many of our brothers are dieing or have died without knowing? What a SHAME. Thanks again for all your help. Dick