VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vso Time Spent On Vets Claim With Definite Diagnosis

Rate this question

halos2

Question

Does anyone have any idea how much time a VSO would/could/should/does work on a vets claim with clear evidence of +PTSD? (war related with clear medal validations and reports/citations)

How about when the vet does all the work of writing out all forms, submitting them, writing out rebuttals, NOD, DeNovo requests, requesting new C&P, compiling all evidence, retrieving all medical records, obtaining all buddy letters, and family letters, making appointments at VAMC...forwarding all documents to VARO...

Exactaly what is the job duties of that VSO when the vet has completed all the above? How do they "represent" them? In what manner? What do they do at this stage of the claim as the vet has completed all the evidentiary information?

Edited by halos2

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Does anyone have any idea how much time a VSO would/could/should/does work on a vets claim with clear evidence of +PTSD? (war related with clear medal validations and reports/citations)

How about when the vet does all the work of writing out all forms, submitting them, writing out rebuttals, NOD, DeNovo requests, requesting new C&P, compiling all evidence, retrieving all medical records, obtaining all buddy letters, and family letters, making appointments at VAMC...forwarding all documents to VARO...

Exactaly what is the job duties of that VSO when the vet has completed all the above? How do they "represent" them? In what manner? What do they do at this stage of the claim as the vet has completed all the evidentiary information?

Normaly as a VSO I do a claim from start to finish. Problem is I think I do it personally because I get personally involved. First I file the original claim on what the issues are. If you do not have all the evidence available as is mostly the case I then have a year to submit the evidence. I request the 201 file from St. Louis, and awards (about thirty forty days), I submit those. I have the vet get all the medical evidence to support his claim from the VAMC. We review his C file from the VA for SMR (service medical records) takes a day or two depending on the severity. We then research his units and assignments. Then I research VA Appeal claims like his. over all I put a good three to six months into the case depending how complicated it is. Radiation case I currently have is a bear, and I have been on it about two years and we are still struggling. It does not look good. We have been denied once. We reopened, etc.

If you claim PTSD and you have the stressor, a CIB, CAR, awards, or citations for bravery under fire then it should be cut and dry IF you have a diagnosis from the VAMC. Then the VA sets you up for a rating exam that is within three months to six. If you are Iraqi war you have get a quick decision, if not hang tough, they will get to you eventually Good luck....................Q

Edited by bobbyq

bobby, you wrote

"If you are Iraqi war you have get a quick decision, if not hang tough, they will get to you eventually Good luck....................Q "

Wow.....that statement speaks volumes!!! Truly confirms what we all already know and just fuels my anger (and I'm not even affected by it!) :unsure::lol::lol: :( :angry::angry::angry::angry:

Thanks bobby. This is not for me but a male I know who I have helped along the way. Between us we have done everything you said in your response, which I wrote in this initial topic. Filed and vet got lowballed 48% with PTSD with gaf48...did NOD with DRO and DE Novo review and had another C&P with gaf 40. This is over 2 yr process. VN vet with Bronze star"V". His vso gets hyper when he calls or emails a question as to approximate date something may happen. He has spoken with this person a total of 3 times in 2 yrs, and emailed him 7 times and the guy says he is doing all he can to help him but has a couple of thousands vets to work with and can't answer all emails.

So I find it strange considering the vet and I have written all/everything. What is it he is doing? What is he doing to represent him? Is there something different then what we have done that he does or says?

Curious.

Purple doesn't that really bite!! Those who suffered for years and can't take it anymore come forth for help and are pushed to the back of the line again. No one has ever appreciated the VN vets, when they came home, and still now!

Why is it not date approval rather than war approval? Interesting, isn't it?

bobby, you wrote

"If you are Iraqi war you have get a quick decision, if not hang tough, they will get to you eventually Good luck....................Q "

Wow.....that statement speaks volumes!!! Truly confirms what we all already know and just fuels my anger (and I'm not even affected by it!) :unsure::lol::lol: :( :angry::angry::angry::angry:

halos2,

if you and this other vet have already done all of the work, submitted the claim, etc....then you don't need the vso! this person is only a middleman. i'm sure there are some vso's out there who do good work...but there are equal amounts who don't.

i'm all for vets filing their own claims. i mean, it's their medical info, their personal business and eventually their money and benefits....why not handle it themselves? it's worked for me and for several other vets i know. just my 2 cents worth.

take care,

• HadIt.com Elder

I think it depends on how many claims a VSO has on their desk. The VARO does 5-6 claims a day and makes a decision. If a VSO has 300 active claims how can they do the work they need to do to win a claim that is more complicated than what a 5th grader could understand? I vote for an educated veteran, or just hire a lawyer to do it. No offense but the VSO's I have encountered should be pushing a broom.