VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Lower Intelligence May Be Risk Factor For Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (ptsd)

Rate this question

frosty69

Question

I wonder who paid for this study, 3 guesses and the first 2 don't count.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1998/...80327073956.htm

http://www.sciencedaily.com/search/?keywor...&sort=relevance

Edited by frosty69

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Interesting thread!

I blew away the ASVAB, more than qualified in every vocational category, signed on delayed entry then still had most of my senior year of high school ahead of me.

When I got to basic, I was sent with 2 others for a battery of tests to evaluate us for USMAPS (prep to get into West Point). I had the highest GT score they'd seen at 153. The other 2 didn't do well enough on the tests and were dropped. I sailed through. I eventually got a "Dear John" letter from them - my high school transcripts were weak.

I had not taken homework home since 4th grade, partly because home was subject to change without warning. Messy divorce, Father in a band, Mother liked to change the scenery like a channel surfer does with a remote - bailed on a lot of bills! 42 school transfers - Good thing I liked new places and new people - had friends all over the country (I just don't have any now).

I kept it somewhat together long enough to get a teaching degree with 11 of my 16 sessions on the honor roll and blew away the National Teachers Exam on my only try - 95th percentile!

Here I am middle aged, laboring at the post office at entry level, freshly diagnosed with 70% PTSD. I can relate to the problems with memory and concentration. Sometimes I just go far away wherever I'm at. The numb and void experience is a big part of my PTSD.

I hope I'm not saying anything dangerous, but I've known a few suicides myself, and on more than one occassion noted that they were all intelligent, creative, interesting people. I've wondered if they just "thought too much". Has anyone else had similar or contrasting observations?

Always such a sad waste!

Does sound like propaganda to me, also! What's next? Will they say "sexually inadequate men most always the ones who show PTSD symptoms"? LOL!

Gary

• HadIt.com Elder
Don't know about the low intelligence part, seeings how my abstract thinking is in the "superior" range and my reading comprehension equals twenty-eight years of school.

Poor judgement, insight and being young, dumb and full of c*m when I enlisted in the "Crotch" (that's the USMC for all you dumbasses) at the age of seventeen might have something to do with it. I never stopped to think about whether or not Vietnam was the right thing to do. All that brainwashing in bootcamp - well hell I just had to get me some! WAR ummm good, good for me, good for you!!

If I had gone to the prom instead of the "nam" maybe that extra time would have made me a peace activist or hippie or something. Oh well too late now I'm a certifiable wacko from Vietnam and I can't be a hippie because I'm a veteran.

GUESS I'LL JUST GO DOWN INTO MY BASEMENT BUNKER AND SUCK ON THE BARREL OF MY.45. GODDAMN IT I WANTED TO BE A DIRTBAG HIPPIE SO EFFIN' BAD.

I don't think I got my PTSD from low intelligence. No I got it at KMart. It was a Bluelight Special! Got it thirty plus years ago. Man what a good product. It is still as strong as the day I got it! I purchase mine at the store in my signature line.

#2 #10 dien cai dau

Daer Nam Marine, I would rather you be a "DIRTBAG HIPPIE" than you do your 45cal (Colt, I'm guessing) LOL . . . . . . .

It's never too late to live! Keep living, it's the honest thing to do! Talk to people about it! Let them know how you feel. You are not alone!!

I APPLAUD your struggle to live - - each and every day - - when it rains, it pours.!

I might even understand how you feel. I'm human too.

You are HAUNTED by the Nam, and PLEASE know you do have brothers and sisters who care that you suffer -- for real.

I don't know where these DUMBASS "DOCTORS" and DUMBASS "ADMINISTRATORS" dream up these ASININE studies and reports. Sometimes they are really beneath humanity.

OOO-RAH !!

Silver Wings

• HadIt.com Elder

I think the study is flawed, in that the researchers failed to consider that those of higher intelligence, with PTSD, are usually doing a better job of coping, than those of lesser intelligence.

In my experience, any body can suffer from PTSD, if the traumatic experiences are severe enough, or frequent enough. My PTSD is not SC, it has nothing to do with my service in USAF, but with a GAF of 51 I have a mild case. Some is from WWII, some is from my time in the British Army, and some is from too many natural disasters.

I have friends with PTSD, who are highly intelligent too, and they both have 100% for PTSD, but have coping strategies that keep them functioning at reasonable levels. I know others who are less intelligent, with 50% or 70% PTSD, who struggle with self-destructive thoughts frequently, and who have failed to develop effective coping strategies.

This study shows evidence of pre-conceived ideas being validated, because of inadequate thought being given to the measurement techniques, and a lack of understanding of the psychological stresses experienced.

I truly believe that those of higher intelligence are MORE susceptible to the stresses of PTSD, because they have more cognitive ability, and are thus better able to visualize the possible consequences of the stressful events they are experiencing.

I know that during WWII and the Blitz, the smarter kids were always more affected by the bombs than the dumber ones; but in time, they learned coping strategies that enabled them to become mentally tougher, and better able to cope.

I would guess that most of the 100% PTSD awardees on this board are of above average intelligence, as it requires a certain level of coping ability to be able to fight the VA, and to use this board effectively.

Just my opinion.