VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

My Gaf

Rate this question

CorCor

Question

I would like an opinion on my situation...I am confused with what is going on. I had seperate C&P exams....got rated 10% for my BP and 10 for Tinitus. All the other claims were shot down...I will be appealing. The kicker...my PTSD and depression were defereed and I was sent paperwork to fill out. They want a statement and letters or statements form others to prove that it(the incident..yrs of harrasement) happend (not in my SMR's).

From the C&P exam the Doc rated me at Axis V GAF : 45 (current) 48 ...is this number in my favor? Is it normal to have to prove or give statements..then combine them with the GAF to get my rating? I have been seperated since 06....I know this is a short amount of time to have to wait, but it is like rubbing salt in a would writing about the crap and having to get statements.....could it take years?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

CorCor

• Answers 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

If you claim PTSD you have to verify it beyond just having the diagnosis. You have to have a stressor letter. You need proof in the form of combat awards, buddy statements, or some proof that the stressor took place. For depression all you need is proof in your medical records that you were diagnosed with in it service or within a year of service. Probably if all the symptoms of depression are in your SMR's a psychiatrist could review them and make a diagnosis. Sometimes events that are verifiable can be connected to show you experienced something that could cause PTSD. This is beyond the capacity of most VSO's. This is where an expert would be helpful if you go for PTSD that is not combat related and with a very obvious cause.

• HadIt.com Elder

Are you able to work? Do you get Social Security?

Do you have a PTSD diagnosis from your service. Since you mentioned Depression that can sometimes be a much easier way to get rated by VA.

Good Luck

A 45 - 48 GAF could mean 100% TDIU if you are not able top work.

As another aside many put far to much into the GAF is merely an assessment by the professional at the particular point in time.

I would like an opinion on my situation...I am confused with what is going on. I had seperate C&P exams....got rated 10% for my BP and 10 for Tinitus. All the other claims were shot down...I will be appealing. The kicker...my PTSD and depression were defereed and I was sent paperwork to fill out. They want a statement and letters or statements form others to prove that it(the incident..yrs of harrasement) happend (not in my SMR's).

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

CorCor

Yes, you have to write a statement in detail about the stressor, if you don't they will deny it outright. You need to write the unit address complete with city and state. You also need to name personnel in each office. They will confirm this info. Then you need to write in detail what you are claiming as a stressor and who the person was that caused the stress. If you saw anyone for the stress which could be complaints of depression in service, headaches, anxiety did you see anyone for anything that could relate to depression.

You need letters from people/person this can be from people in the service who witnessed the harrassment which is the best or letters from people since you got out that knew you before saying that you are different then what you were when you went in. Did your proficency and conducts marks go down, were you transferred to another unit.

It took me a minimum of 8 months to write mine but I also had other issues. Keep it as short as possible and factual only, no he said she said.

Thank you for the info. Actually I was harrassed(physically & mentally) by the indidivdual for years..he was NCOIC in my shop and I was a new target. I finally got sick of it...literally and reported to one of my supervisiors. Eventually he was removed..put in another section. No repremand..nothing..I chose not to press charges, I was afraid....I kick myself in the ass. Anyway, the statements I get from others, do they need to be notorized? Oh and I do not work...I have not since I got out, never claimed SS or unemployment, did not know I could.

• HadIt.com Elder

Okay, first of all I've found that I have to pre-face anything I say here on hadit with a disclaimer, so here's mine:

I have absolutely no idea what I am talking about. I am not advising you to do anything.

Okay, now that that is out of the way:

From what little that I understand about PTSD, it has to be (almost has to be) strictly related to Trauma, either suffered from or experienced by or witnessed by, the veteran claiming PTSD. This occurence(s) must be documented, either in your service records, service medical records, unit daily logs, fellow veterans that were there (and probably deserving of a PTSD award themselves), etc.

What you are discribing is harassment, physical/mental and, if I understand PTSD claims/awards, does not "rise to the level" of a PTSD claim/award.

Please do not think for a moment that I am belittling your "experiences", it's just not gonna win ya a PTSD award and your efforts would be much better spent (not to mention tying up hours of VA time, etc.) focusing upon a claim that you could just possibly "win".

Now, whether THAT claim would be for "depression" "dysthimia" "bi-polar depression/mania" or another of the pshychological disorders that stress, fear, discouragement, etc., can cause, is beyond my one night's stay in a Holiday Inn Express.

But, like I say......I'll wait for someone who is much more cognizant of these things than am I.