VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

My Gaf

Rate this question

CorCor

Question

I would like an opinion on my situation...I am confused with what is going on. I had seperate C&P exams....got rated 10% for my BP and 10 for Tinitus. All the other claims were shot down...I will be appealing. The kicker...my PTSD and depression were defereed and I was sent paperwork to fill out. They want a statement and letters or statements form others to prove that it(the incident..yrs of harrasement) happend (not in my SMR's).

From the C&P exam the Doc rated me at Axis V GAF : 45 (current) 48 ...is this number in my favor? Is it normal to have to prove or give statements..then combine them with the GAF to get my rating? I have been seperated since 06....I know this is a short amount of time to have to wait, but it is like rubbing salt in a would writing about the crap and having to get statements.....could it take years?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

CorCor

• Answers 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I think Larry is correct. I would not doubt that you had it, but raising it to the level that they will find in your favor is tough. If you can get them to service connect for Depression that might be an easier route. Read the BVA cases on the link on the front page, it can give you an idea of what the VA is looking for on either scenario. Also since they only pay for one mental illness it might get you your benefit faster with the depression if you have been diagnosed with it. I have both diagnoses, and am waiting to see what the BVA will do as I am currently with the rater.

Well, called my regional VA today regarding my deferred, C and P for PTSD. I will say that sometimes you get a representative that actually will help you and sometimes you don't. This time I got one. She pretty much went thru my entire file with me. Apparently the VA requested a c and p for PTSD as of Dec 16. unfortunately to date has not been set as if yet. hopefully it will happen sooner then later as I want it to just be done. This process has almost brought me to the brink of losing my confidence int he system once again.

Matt

I think Larry is correct. I would not doubt that you had it, but raising it to the level that they will find in your favor is tough. If you can get them to service connect for Depression that might be an easier route. Read the BVA cases on the link on the front page, it can give you an idea of what the VA is looking for on either scenario. Also since they only pay for one mental illness it might get you your benefit faster with the depression if you have been diagnosed with it. I have both diagnoses, and am waiting to see what the BVA will do as I am currently with the rater.

• HadIt.com Elder

Matt:

Sorry that you were laid off but glad you were treated well by last VA Rep. Hang in there once you have the C&P the Train starts picking up speed.

Tip:

When you take the C&P ask the clerk who checks you in if they have a form that will say that once the C&P is in that you want them to rate with the evidence that they have. Before you do this make sure your ducks are linned up in a row.

Good Luck

Now the question that needs an answer is can you go back to work or are you unemployable due to PTSD.

Pete,

Well unfortunately, I was lucky to work this long. I have been riding the coattails of a manager that knows my story. Was my manager prior to my previous deployment. However, I was transferred from under their authority back in Aug, and transferred to another part of the city. My whole dept got the axe. Presently, if I were interviewing potential candidates, I certainly wouldn't choose me as after talking to me, you can tell that I am damaged goods. Which is sad, but I am honest. Trust me I do not want to think about not working, I can't imagine what I will fill my time with.

I am just trying to make it day by day. There is a Hire Vets First Job fair in my town the 3rd week of march. they may have some jobs, just want to stay busy. Thanks for the advice....Also, yesterday i saw my family physician regarding being denied SC for my DDD for my back. He is writing a IMO for me. He did one of his residency's with the VA so he says he knows how to word it..

Matt

Matt:

Sorry that you were laid off but glad you were treated well by last VA Rep. Hang in there once you have the C&P the Train starts picking up speed.

Tip:

When you take the C&P ask the clerk who checks you in if they have a form that will say that once the C&P is in that you want them to rate with the evidence that they have. Before you do this make sure your ducks are linned up in a row.

Good Luck

Now the question that needs an answer is can you go back to work or are you unemployable due to PTSD.

• HadIt.com Elder

Matt:

Its very confusing and the VA does not really make it easy but from what you have said I would hazard a guess that you will be granted PTSD between 30% and 50%. If you have PTSD and can't work you should be compensated. No one that I know of would not rather be able to work and I think that you have to now travel the road to see if you can or not. A partial grant say 30% is a small check each month that you can count on and also be treated by VAMC for no copays on meds or treatment if it is for the diagnosed service connection. If you are 50% the VA will take care of all things medical and no copays for meds or treatment.

I wish you the best on your job quest. By the way you would also qualify for SSD and you have to be careful cause there is a time limit that you can apply for it.

As far as having things to do when you are retired you may find that your boat is loaded. I am plenty busy but you can find out about that if it happens.

You earned benefits for your service don't look back or worry if you have to ask for them.

Pete