VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Psyc Meds

Rate this topic

Hello,

I am service connected for a mental condition.The problem is that I have tried a lot of different medication such as Risperdal,Zypreza,Seroquel,Haldol and Abilify. The problem is that these medications caused me side effects that I can't tolerate such as tremors,confusion,agitation and inability to stand still. What I am worry about is that they will decreased my compensation because I refuse to take these medications and my pdoc is very frustrated with me. I go to all my appointments but I am worried they will take my compensation away for not wanting to take those nasty meds. Can anyone please tell me if this is possible? Thanks!!!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

You asked some questions that are not easy to answer. Some of the meds you identified are in the news for not being as effective and having worse side affects than some of the older ones.

You have the right at any percent to have an input into your treatment. You are actually part of the team. Its my opinion but I think that you would have a low risk of being changed unless you get a lot better.

So that said I think that you better do some good research and come up with something you might be willing to take. I think that you are well within your rights to ask for more talk therapy and less meds.

Good Luck

xbor,

If the side effects are such as you say you are certainly within

your rights to refuse to consume the medications.

To be truthful you don't ever have to take any medications you

do not want to take - and you really don't HAVE to provide a reason.

There are many people with health problems be it either mental or

physical - that simply do not want to load their bodies up with a bunch

of chemicals.

Even if your doctor is frustrated with you just keep going to your appointments,

you can try to get a different doctor if you want.

What is your percentage of VA Disability ?

How long have you had this percentage ?

Keep your symptoms on daily life documented.

jmho,

carlie

• HadIt.com Elder
I am 100% service connected since march 2008

Is this 100% Permanent and Total, is it "schedular", is it all 100% due to psych problems?

Mo InFo?

More specifically - What KIND of "psych problems" (that's a pretty broad range of possible problems, ya know.).

My MDD (major depression) has responded somewhat to years of taking Welbutrin.

I still have suicidal thoughts - but I realize that that is part of my "psych problems".

I do have to be very careful though, and keep constant reins on my feelings/thoughts/emotions or I'll go off on a "manic episode" and then "crash". It's when I'm between cycles that I am most dangerous. The Welbutrin keeps me depressed (but, believe it or not, that's GOOD...'cause before that I'd want to do "bad things").

Am I cured.....NO!

Will I ever be cured....NO!

Does the VA ever believe I'll be cured...NO!

So, I don't, at least, have to worry about "losing" my 100%......am I living la vida loco...NOT!