VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Prostate Cancer

Rate this question

cuchi

Question

I have been receiving 100 % temporary compensation since last July. My father past away this July and I sought the V.A."s help by seeing a psychiatrist. I have not slept well since May when He went into the hospital. I like the psychiatrist because she actually listens to me. I have only seen her for one hour but I am taking 100mg of Zoloft. My father's death put me in a PTSD when I him dead in his bed. He was getting better and we were getting ready to being him home. He had a blot clot in his left arm and they were not suppose to take blood from that arm but I believe they did. They called me at 6:30 in the morning saying we took blood at 6 and we came back in and he was dead. This has been driving me crazy and I feel I am losing control over my mind. The psychiatrist said I will probably dropped down to 20 % soon since my psa in indeterminable. But that is only because I am on hormonal therapy and it has taken a year to get the psa. There is no cure for my agressive cancer , why would they want to reduce it so low since I need to use the V.A. for my health care but afraid at 20% I would not get much.

Cuchi

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Cuchi,

I am sorry to hear of the loss of your father. It sounds like you are going through a time of great emotional strain. Maybe I can shed some light on your prostate situation, as I too had prostate cancer and I can share with you how it was handled. Has your cancer spread from the prostate to somewhere else? If the cancer is limited to your prostate, depending on your age, fitness etc. and the amount of cancer that is in the prostate, the doctor may speak with you about removing the prostate. Otherwise, the doctor may suggest radiation, chemotherpy, or the procedure that places radioactive pins in your prostate to try to terminate the cancer.

It sounds like you`ve been on 100% temporary comp during treatment for your prostate issues. If so, after that the VA should call you in for a C&P exam to determine the extent of residuals from the treatment. The VA will re-rate you based on things like the frequency of urination, number of pads you use and the severity of any incontinence. After the exam, the VA will give you a new rating based on the results of your residual effects. The rating could be 10% or more.

It sounds like you have a good psychiatrist. You mentioned you have PTSD. Have you filed a claim through VA for this? Perhaps your psychiatrist could help you with that. Someone who could help you with the forms may be located at your county government, VFW or DAV. I can't emphasize enough to seek advice from a veterans counselor.

In the meantime try to find a friend or family member to stay close with. You have a lot on your plate and you may find this is a good time to have someone near.

Good Luck,

Jon

Cuchi-I always assume you mean the tunnels-by that- but maybe I am wrong- By all means apply for PTSD comp-if you have a formal PTSD diagnosis-

The comp depends on the diagnosis of PTSD and an inservice stressor that your recent loss certainly could have excerbated.

I am so sorry to hear this.

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I was diagnosed with Prostate cancer in June 2007. I've gone through 32 weeks of radiation treatment ending December 2007 including raditation directly placed in the affected areas of my Prostate twice during that 32 weeks with 4 needles(brachytheaphy procedure)sp??. I just found out last week(Oct. 2008) that I would get some type of disability for being in Vietnam. I filed a claim last week with a VSO. The VSO said that I would be entitled to anywhere between 40% to 100% of disability.

I have not been scheduled for a C&P exam yet. Is the VSO correct? Even if the treatment ended 10 months ago and my PSA test has gone down from 4.48 to .7?

Appreciate any help.

Yes-he is correct-

Prostate cancer is rated as to the residuals- as explained within this BVA case:

http://www.va.gov/vetapp06/files3/0617649.txt

Do you get SSA disability for anything possibly service related?

Now is the time veteran to get any disability you have filed as a potential service connected claim- if you feel thatr it is due to your service.

Do you have diabetes mellitus or PTSD or any other disability that could have stemmed from service of from AO?

If this disability causes you erectile dysfunction (you dont have to answer here) make sure you ask them for the SMC K award too.

I sure hope so- this is the Temp Convalescence criteria- make sure this is formally requested in a claim if you meet the criteria:

Temporary Total Rating

A temporary total disability rating will be assigned

following hospital discharge or outpatient release effective

from the date of hospital admission or outpatient release and

continuing for a period of 1, 2, or 3 months from the first

day of the month following such hospital discharge or

outpatient release, if treatment of a service-connected

disability resulted in

(1) Surgery necessitating at least one month of

convalescence.

(2) Surgery with severe postoperative residuals such as

incompletely healed surgical wounds, stumps of recent

amputation, therapeutic immobilization of one major joint

or more, application of a body cast, or the necessity for

continued use of a wheelchair or crutches (regular weight

bearing prohibited).

(3) Immobilization by cast, without surgery, of one major

joint or more.

(1) Extensions of periods of 1, 2, or 3 months beyond the

initial 3 months may be made under subparagraphs (1), (2)

or (3). In addition, approval may be obtained for

extensions of 1 or more months up to 6 months beyond the

initial 6-month period, under subparagraph (2) or (3).

38 C.F.R.§ 4.30 (2002).