VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sinusitis

Rate this question

yelloownumber5

Question

I was denied in 2006 for sinusitis.

"Service conneciton is denied.

You were seen multiple time for sinus infections while you were on active duty, primarily as a result of the allergic rhinitis. A CT Scan conducted in Nov 02, did not show chronic sinusitis was the cause of the sinus infections. The main cause of the sinusitis was the deviated septum.

The current medical evidence shows you still have recurrent sinus infections, but again, there is no evidence that this is cause by sinusitis. Service connection for sinusitis is denied because of the medical evidence of record fail to show that this disability has been clinically diagnosed."

The C&P examiner in 2005 said "septum is midline". Isn't a diagnosis of sinusitis good enough for this claim?

Thanks,

Yelloow

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Or do I claim sinusitis secondary to allergic rhinitis?

Alergice Rhinitis has to have like 50 to 100 nostral obstruction to be ratable....but with my sinusitis and headaches it doesn't seem right. I thought maybe the VA just didn't get my diagnosis of sinusitis but really confused.

I have been on antibotics twice while on active duty for this when diagnoses but since learned to live with it.

Thanks again.

Edited by yelloownumber5

Boy the VA sure paresed the evidence in that one.

Did you formally claim the sinusitus as secondary to the

allergic Rhinitus?

The decision seems to fully support this as the nexus- allergic rhinitus-

http://www.va.gov/vetapp08/files3/0820329.txt

this is one of many claims at the BVA -regarding similiar problems-

the award was for allergic rhinitus but it is more than likely that the sinusitus in your case came from the insercvice rhinitus-

I am not a doctor so my medical opinion wont help you- it just makes sense however-

How did they rate the allergic rhinitus-

how did they rule that out as the etiology for the sinusitis?

Go to the BVA and search these conditions and you will get clues as to what I mean here-

Berta,

"Boy the VA sure paresed the evidence in that one."

"Did you formally claim the sinusitus as secondary to the

allergic Rhinitus?"

No Ma'am, after reading this 100 times I thought maybe that is what I should do. I know the rating isn't much but thought it would help if needed with my sleep apnea claim

The decision seems to fully support this as the nexus- allergic rhinitus-

http://www.va.gov/vetapp08/files3/0820329.txt

this is one of many claims at the BVA -regarding similiar problems-

the award was for allergic rhinitus but it is more than likely that the sinusitus in your case came from the insercvice rhinitus-

"I am not a doctor so my medical opinion wont help you- it just makes sense however-"

"How did they rate the allergic rhinitus-"

Persistant nasal congestion (cysts) and diagnosis made, rated the allergic rhinitis at 0%.

"how did they rule that out as the etiology for the sinusitis?"

On the same award letter they denied deviated septum and said CT scan showed you had a small retention cyst in the left maxillary (CT also says partial opacity of the r sphenoid sinus), which was more than likely the cause of your recurrent sinus infections.

Strangely on the award letter number 10 says "the main cause of sinusitis was the deviated septum" and number 7 says examiner "septum is midline". Now CT was 2002, C&P was 2004, they also note "current medical evidence shows you feel there has been no significant relief for the septoplast

Deviated septum denied

Deviated septum cause sinusitis

Go to the BVA and search these conditions and you will get clues as to what I mean here-

It could possibly be the CAUSE of the sleep apnea -as possible secondary-SC if not direct SC.

Do you have a vet rep helping you?

Sometimes a vet has to find the main nexus or best inservice evidence for one condition and then consider if other conditions could be secondary to it-

I would think that these allergy and sinus problems could definitely cause a form of apnea- then again I am no doctor- otherwise I would try to get you all SCed properly-

Edited by Berta

It took me seconds to find some abstracts and articles that show the potential cause of sleep apnea as due to the obstructive nature of allergies and /or sinus problems-

I suggest that you get some good web site print outs that support this- go to eMedicine, Mayo Clinic, Merck, the good sites and use this as evidence to support your claim for sleep apnea.(unless you have nexus f documented in your inservice SMRs for the apnea).

We have to connect the medical dots on claims like yours. The VA wont do that for us.They will overlook an obvius associted condition- it saves them money-if the vet fails to claim it specifically.

Berta,

Yes I do have a VSO to file my paperwork....he doesn't do much more than that - this is how he has been since I started with him which is what landed me here for stupid questions. I spoke with DAV on the phone but they just said if you have it in your record then submit for it and they asked if I wanted to put in a complaint against my VSO.

I assume I need to get a doctor to say the sinusitis is due to allergic rhinitis........is that correct? I see my military PCM in a few weeks and need another ENT referral. I do not have one thing in my SMR that says sinusitis due to deviated septum......just my dx of sinusitis and rhinitius. The VA said the deviated septum was the cause when they seen the CT Scan which was pre septoplasy (deviated septum surgery) and their post surgery C&P exam said "midline septum".

Does it matter when you get or submit an IMO? If I submit one after my claim is denied it that not such a good thing?