VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sinusitis

Rate this question

yelloownumber5

Question

I was denied in 2006 for sinusitis.

"Service conneciton is denied.

You were seen multiple time for sinus infections while you were on active duty, primarily as a result of the allergic rhinitis. A CT Scan conducted in Nov 02, did not show chronic sinusitis was the cause of the sinus infections. The main cause of the sinusitis was the deviated septum.

The current medical evidence shows you still have recurrent sinus infections, but again, there is no evidence that this is cause by sinusitis. Service connection for sinusitis is denied because of the medical evidence of record fail to show that this disability has been clinically diagnosed."

The C&P examiner in 2005 said "septum is midline". Isn't a diagnosis of sinusitis good enough for this claim?

Thanks,

Yelloow

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I would submit an IMO ASAP- dont know actual status of your claim-

And make sure the VA acknowledges it- and send a copy of it with copy of cover letter submitting it to VA- to your Vet rep as well.He should prepare a 21-4138 as well and send that to the VA showing his support for it.

I am not a doctor- but I see this will need a doctor's association of something in your SMRS or on your discharge physical to support the claim and all other secondary conditions-

I dont know what your SMRs would reveal to a IMO doctor-

it can take plenty of time to find stuff in SMRs (which are often brief and almost illegible)

I spent a whole week- meaning a few hours a day for a week - on a local vet's SMrs once-blowing up copies and even using a mirror to read them-

My daughter -a cryptology Vietnamese linquist (Intell USAF)- also helped me defycer my own husband's most crucial med rec he had-

Symbols and abbreviations in SMRS and med recs can lead to the award!

This was the case in my past awards and how I got 3 good IMOs for my present claim.

There is no guarantee what a doctor will find in SMRS and med recs for an IMO- but it will be by far more detailed and accurate than some VA C & P docs assessment.

The IMO criteria that a IMO doctor must use is here in the IMO forum.

Edited by Berta

have an ENT determine if your septumn is deviated, most are if its more then 50 you are rateable, you can have a doctor say you have sinuisitus but what matters is that nose. Go to an ENT most peoples noses are deviated anyway you might be like me and have a large deviation. Mine was at 85

Okay a few things.

Octdevildog,

the ENT said my septum is "The nasal septum was straight, turbinates were boggy and sthe sinuses were a little tender". Dated 27 Sept 2005.

Berta,

Not sure exactly what the CUE is and I thought it was more a date thing. But if the VA examiner says "septum midline" and the reason the VA denied my sinusitis claim was because of a deviated septum, what can I do? The Va first looked at films that were taken prior to my C&P exam. I have this ENT report on 27 Sept 2005 stating "nasal septum was straight". However, the sleep study doctor in 2006 said it was deviated.....and I plan on submitting that claim soon. My sinusitis claim is closed. My sleep apnea claim is open by an informal letter.

I'm just confused and mad......I know I didn't lose a leg but feel like hurting someone. My original claim most items came back denied.........I NOD'd and submitted the same info, highlited and with cover sheet them most were approved less my sinusitis and deviated septum because my PCM said it was still deviated......but now this ENT said it's not. Can these cysts make my septum deviated and I know I need a doctor to write that.......but I should get another referral for an ENT soon because the sphenoid sinusitis is kicking my TAIL....that deep eye pain.

Thank you much,

Yelloow

yellow,

where were you stationed when you had the sinus infections? i ask because when i was stationed in Germany i had severe, constant sinus infections (i.e. sinusitis)....but it stopped when i came back to the states. they figured it was the close exposure to jet fumes.

so it was strictly situational.

Okay a few things.

Octdevildog,

the ENT said my septum is "The nasal septum was straight, turbinates were boggy and sthe sinuses were a little tender". Dated 27 Sept 2005.

Berta,

Not sure exactly what the CUE is and I thought it was more a date thing. But if the VA examiner says "septum midline" and the reason the VA denied my sinusitis claim was because of a deviated septum, what can I do? The Va first looked at films that were taken prior to my C&P exam. I have this ENT report on 27 Sept 2005 stating "nasal septum was straight". However, the sleep study doctor in 2006 said it was deviated.....and I plan on submitting that claim soon. My sinusitis claim is closed. My sleep apnea claim is open by an informal letter.

I'm just confused and mad......I know I didn't lose a leg but feel like hurting someone. My original claim most items came back denied.........I NOD'd and submitted the same info, highlited and with cover sheet them most were approved less my sinusitis and deviated septum because my PCM said it was still deviated......but now this ENT said it's not. Can these cysts make my septum deviated and I know I need a doctor to write that.......but I should get another referral for an ENT soon because the sphenoid sinusitis is kicking my TAIL....that deep eye pain.

Thank you much,

Yelloow

If your septumn was deviated then you get it but since it is probably related to your location you probably will not be compensated. with a deviated septumn at least there proof of a breathing condition.

Purple,

I'm in Charleston, SC where I was dx and live after separation. The question I brought up is how can the VA on the same C&P claim, however you say it...............Deny a deviated septum claim because C&P examiner said "midline septum" for item 7 then for same claim same C&P say sinusitis is denied.........and the wording is below in my post but denied because the deviated septum is the cause of sinus infections............

yellow,

where were you stationed when you had the sinus infections? i ask because when i was stationed in Germany i had severe, constant sinus infections (i.e. sinusitis)....but it stopped when i came back to the states. they figured it was the close exposure to jet fumes.

so it was strictly situational.