VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sinusitis

Rate this question

yelloownumber5

Question

I was denied in 2006 for sinusitis.

"Service conneciton is denied.

You were seen multiple time for sinus infections while you were on active duty, primarily as a result of the allergic rhinitis. A CT Scan conducted in Nov 02, did not show chronic sinusitis was the cause of the sinus infections. The main cause of the sinusitis was the deviated septum.

The current medical evidence shows you still have recurrent sinus infections, but again, there is no evidence that this is cause by sinusitis. Service connection for sinusitis is denied because of the medical evidence of record fail to show that this disability has been clinically diagnosed."

The C&P examiner in 2005 said "septum is midline". Isn't a diagnosis of sinusitis good enough for this claim?

Thanks,

Yelloow

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Purple,

I appreciate it...just kind of not understanding at all. The people thay have to an exam that is looking at my noise says it is midline..someone that is reviewing his report and looking at old ct's prior to having septoplasty surgery says it's deviated.

Also I seen Bera put the conditions that ptsd cause........what about service connect conditions causeing depression such as gerd (not able to sleep), sleep apnea, high blood pressure.... and if you get this ptsd or depression rating do they say well you had sleep apnea and rated 50% we will award you ptsd @50% secondary to service connected conditions........so does the ptsd get cancelled out by the other ratings? I never understood if something is secondary when you add the percentages does it get added just like a single rating or do they have a formula for this. My VA doctor already put me on depression meds (zoloft) help to me deal also sleeping pills (ambein) because of this crap but need appt with physc.

Thanks all for help.

Edited by yelloownumber5

YellowNumber5,

Your denial says the same as my letter that granted service connection except I have sinus infections about 6 times a year. My infections started while stationed in Germany, resolved when I returned to the NE US, then returned when I got to Texas, where I retired. Maybe it's easier to get service connected when stationed here because of the high incidents of allergens in the area that cause infections, so the ROs are so used to seeing it claimed and better trained on it? :P

Doesn't make any sense at all to me that you were denied. Regardless of why the infections occur, if they didn't start until active duty and continue after separation, it seems that the original cause would be immaterial.

I thought you were supposed to be rated based on the residuals of the injury or disease instead of the cause.?

Berta or one of the other guru's here will probably know for sure though.

Oh, I was awarded 10 percent. They said I would have to have more than 6 infections a year to qualify for a higher percentage.

Edited by Angela

Angela,

Thanks. I get sinus infections about 2 x a month. I have cysts in my (2) maxillary, sphenoid (which took me to the ER with bad eye pain) and one somewhere else.

I'm confused........and it's a small thing but I want it connected. I was denied from my NOD in 2006 but sadly looked at the paperwork again and got really upset.

I just don't know what I should do now. when it came back denied the county VSO told me it was denied because it went

Same claim - original claim before I got out of military and prior to septoplasty surgery.

- First Deviated Septum no trauma so denied - I did have surgery to fix this and still have infections and C&P examiner said

"septum midline"

- Second Sinusitis denied because they are "due to deviated septum."

- Thrid Allergic Rhinitus rated but at 0 %

I was going to ask this to be reopened and submit the C&P exam that the exmainer said "septum midline" as evidence and my ENT in Sep 2005 saying "nasal septum straight" as new evidence but I want the original date because they had the C&P Examiner notes, however my ENT would be new evidence.

I'm not sure if I should do it like this or not.

YellowNumber5,

Your denial says the same as my letter that granted service connection except I have sinus infections about 6 times a year. My infections started while stationed in Germany, resolved when I returned to the NE US, then returned when I got to Texas, where I retired. Maybe it's easier to get service connected when stationed here because of the high incidents of allergens in the area that cause infections, so the ROs are so used to seeing it claimed and better trained on it? :P

Doesn't make any sense at all to me that you were denied. Regardless of why the infections occur, if they didn't start until active duty and continue after separation, it seems that the original cause would be immaterial.

I thought you were supposed to be rated based on the residuals of the injury or disease instead of the cause.?

Berta or one of the other guru's here will probably know for sure though.

Oh, I was awarded 10 percent. They said I would have to have more than 6 infections a year to qualify for a higher percentage.

• HadIt.com Elder

"which was more than likely the cause of your recurrent sinus infections."

The above sounds like a rater giving weight to a medical determination the rater is not qualified to determine. You need to identify the exact conditions your are trying to get service connected and get a doctor to address the etiology of that condition(s).

The denial is not that the evidence was against the claim they basically said the C&P did not provide evidence to support the claim. However, it does not appear the C&P doctor specifically addressed the etiology of any condition. Thus, the rater decided that the etiology could not be determined.

Some VA doctors will get involved and some won't. A private doctor costs money. Sometimes if you appeal they can remand for an opinion addressing the specific issue of etiology. Do it all. Get more medical evidence and appeal saying that they need to get an opinion that specifiecally addresses etiology