Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×

Nose Job-septorhinoplasty And Reiduals

Alb
This thread is over 365 days old and has been closed.

Please post your question as a New Topic by clicking this link and choosing which forum to post in.

For almost everything you are going to want to post in VA Claims Research.

If this is your first time posting. Take a moment and read our Guidelines. It will inform you of what is and isn't acceptable and tips on getting your questions answered. 

Remember, everyone who comes here is a volunteer. At one point, they went to the forums looking for information. They liked it here and decided to stay and help other veterans. They share their personal experience, providing links to the law and reference materials and support because working on your claim can be exhausting and beyond frustrating. 

This thread may still provide value to you and is worth at least skimming through the responses to see if any of them answer your question. Knowledge Is Power, and there is a lot of knowledge in older threads.

spacer.png

Question

Had two Septorhinoplasty done in service because of deviated septum of the nose. The first one ended up getting an infection in the nose, so they have to go back in and take cartilage from the back of my ear to fill in the gap on the bridge of my nose. My question to you is can I get SC for scar on my ear, scar on the bridge of my nose, disfigurement (because the nostrils are not uniform-would that fall under the bi-lateral benefit rule). Went to the ENT doctor at the VA and they want to do another revision septorhinoplasty because the septum is still slightly deveated to the right high and I am having trouble with breathing, crusting, swelling, heahaches and dry blood. The doctor stated from a functional standpoint surgery would likely not change these complaints. They put me on nasal steroids and daily saline irrigations and follow with the surgenon in two months. Tried to get serice connected for sisusitis to to septoplast back in 2001 but was denied. I guess I did not put in for the right thing. With all the symptoms, two operations, scars, nostrols not beining uniform ( due to surgery),residuals, pain and cannot breath through my nose. (have to use my mouth sometimes) What can I Claim!! I want to do it right this time. Do I ask the VA to take pictures of the nose, or do they do that at a C&P or just use my medical records. No mention in records of scars or nostrals not being uniform. I am not even service connected for septorhinoplasty yet. Do I put in a claim for secondardys to setorhinoplasty or do I have to have this SC first? Please Help. I have put Eight claims in and five have been sc 0% and three denied. I am doing something wrong here. Have a service rep. that does nothing for me. We have not won a case yet. He keeps making the same statment- If youe can get someone to say AS MOST LIKELY AS NOT.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

I gave you a fairly detailed response to your initial post here in another forum-

are you the vet with GERD too?forget

You have to find the disability that is surely the easiest to service connect- such as one noted in your SMRs and then follow through on adding any potentially secondary conditions-

What your rep means is that you need a strong medical opinion-

did you have allergies or rhinitus noted in your SMRs?

If not --any sinus condition noted?

You have to find the etiology (cause, reason) for your present problems and then find how they are due to your service- that is the nexus factor almost every claim needs-

If you can prove the Septum problem is service connected they will have to rate the scars too and any other residuals-

Good idea- a Picture is always worth a thousand words and you can send them a photo as evidence of the scaring and any disfigurement to your nose-

Still the reason for all that is what you have to get service connected-

Is any of this noted on your Discharge Physical from the Mil?

Did you NOD the SC "0" claims?

I dont know where the post was I made and maybe I added more there to help you-

VA doesnt connect the dots -we have to do that-

I gave you a fairly detailed response to your initial post here in another forum-

are you the vet with GERD too?forget

You have to find the disability that is surely the easiest to service connect- such as one noted in your SMRs and then follow through on adding any potentially secondary conditions-

What your rep means is that you need a strong medical opinion-

did you have allergies or rhinitus noted in your SMRs?

If not --any sinus condition noted?

You have to find the etiology (cause, reason) for your present problems and then find how they are due to your service- that is the nexus factor almost every claim needs-

If you can prove the Septum problem is service connected they will have to rate the scars too and any other residuals-

Good idea- a Picture is always worth a thousand words and you can send them a photo as evidence of the scaring and any disfigurement to your nose-

Still the reason for all that is what you have to get service connected-

Is any of this noted on your Discharge Physical from the Mil?

Did you NOD the SC "0" claims?

I dont know where the post was I made and maybe I added more there to help you-

VA doesnt connect the dots -we have to do that-

I did not have a discharge P.E. I got out due to pregnancy. I do have medical records that shows the surgery done in service. Went to sick call for sinus infection but the va threw that out stating it was a one time event. Have been to the VA within the last year and given meds. for rhinitis by PCP The zero percent I did not fine a NOD in time. That was back in 2001. Did not know I could back then. Went in blind-folded. Had no help. I am not the vet with GERD? What is that? So what your saying is that the septum has to be from an injury, and not an operation to fix the deveation? What about them having to go back in a second time, because they did not prevent infection enough through preventive medication post surgery. Now they are syaing that a third operation will not help. So how do I service connected for this! Failed surgery? Can I get service connected for spetorhinoplasty post surgical complications. Or rhinitis like my PCP at the va says I have. It was noted that I had allergies on my last C&P and was still denined.

You need a Nexus to your service-

by this term--the VA means you need a proven inservice injury,event, reason or cause for your present disability.

It does seem to me that you do have the nexus-as you got surgery-but maybe you have-per the VA-no ratable residuals.

"Can I get service connected for spetorhinoplasty post surgical complications. Or rhinitis like my PCP at the va says I have. It was noted that I had allergies on my last C&P and was still denined"

I feel that you should get SC for any residuals of the Spetorhinoplasy and the other conditions you mentioned could be claimed as secondary or claimed as aggravated by the inservice condition that required the surgery.

You rep is telling you that you need a medical opinion to connect all of this.

You can also access good internet print outs that show medically that there is association for all of these conditions but still the VA will need strong medical evidence.

The claim has to build off of the most likely service connected condition-the one that has a nexus to your service- which should be the reason that you had the surgery.

The residuals, scarring, any facial disfigurement and any other condition claimed as due to the inservice condition can be rated by the VA.

"Can I get service connected for spetorhinoplasty post surgical complications" yes- that is what I meant by residuals-

but I cannot determine how the VA would rate them or if it will take an independent medical opinion.

• veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• Advertisemnt

• question-001.jpegLooking for Answers? Here are tips for finding the answers you seek.

All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. To post, you must register. Registration is free. You can register for a free account here.

You can read the forums without registering.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question.
    2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.
    3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading to:

Post straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    • I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
        • I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed.
    • This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines

<——>