VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Iu Form

Rate this question

Old 5311

Question

I started filling out the form today. My MH doc has been urging me to go IU for 3 yrs. Now that I see the Form, and all it asks, I wonder if it is possible to get schedular at all. It seems intimidating. I'm 90% and 65 yrs old. My Civil Service job has been a stressor for years but I hung in there. I will retire with 28 yrs service. My VSO has told me to be sure to put a statement on the retirement form that I am retiring due to service connected disabilities. Jan. 2 2008 is my last day. Maybe my doc will attach a statement. I'll ask him.

Hoping this will help others in the same situation.

Does anyone have helpful information regarding this Form? If so please send it.

Thanks, Old 5311

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Pete is right- and the fact that the TDIU is DUE to your service is the requirement for TDIU award.

If you have any personnel statements in your employee file that show time off due to SC or any other problems due to SC this too would help you.

The problem with Civil Service and fed employers is that they are often so afraid of the ADA (Americans with Disabiliies Act) that they might give a disabled vet plenty of hell on the job (or vice versa) due to a vet's disability)but they dont want to document this type of problem because they are afraid of the EEOC and of being sued.

I think your doctor could write a supporting IMO- following th IMO criteria here at hadit- and this would be the best way to support TDIU in your case.

I have posted other advise on the TDIU form and it is all in the separate TDIU forum here at hadit.

The IMO criteria is here too under that forum.

Thanks to both of you. It has been foremost on my mind. After my post I concluded I would need another C&P to try to get another 10% =100%. Am I wrong? I will follow your advice. This is a major life event, retirement and the need for TDIU. Without it I will have a grim retirement, unable to stay in my houme and it is impossible to sell nowdays. The timing is another concern. I have a total knee replacement comming up soon. Retirement on Jan. 2 may have to be delayed. How long does it take to get TDIU and what is the process? Berta, I'll study your TDIU posts.

Thanks in advance.

• HadIt.com Elder

I was a civil service employee and I took disability retirement after 20 years. Then there was no question about the reason for retirement. It converts to regular retirement anyway. Can you take disability retirement for your SC condition? This would solve your problem. I know that not many can survive on civil service retirement alone. I couln't. I was under FERS. What a joke. 30% of my base pay plus SSA, and my 401-K which is much reduced now. I missed out on many years of contributing to my 401-K since I had to retire, so without TDIU I would be up the creek. You must be CSRS but even that is not much when you consider you don't get SSA except maybe a few bucks.

Yep, CSRS. Retirement looks grim without 100% schedular. How to make it happen? Ask for a C&P or just a VA Dr. statement with my TDIU Form 21-8940. Hope that is the right form.

Thanks

• HadIt.com Elder

What you have to do is show the VA you retired due to disability, and that you are now too disabled to continue to work. A doctors's report along with the TDIU form might be all you need. The report must say that you are totally disabled due soley to your SC condition. Everything goes up when you retire. Your insurance gets expensive and, of course, your pension is fully taxed. You are supposed to make it on a 40% pay cut, or get another job if you are able. I wasn't able and I would have starved to death.