VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd-mst

Rate this question

rway

Question

Has anyone gone through In-Patient PTSD-MST Counseling? I know everyone will react differently. But, I would like to know what your experience was. Did it Help at all. Not sure if I can make that step right now. I do not want to give up my alcohol at this time it helps me. I would be going to Bay Pines, VA in Florida.

Thanks for any info.

rway

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I have not done in patient at Bay Pines but I do continue doing out patient.

My opinion -- ha,ha,ha,ha,ha - for me it's a joke.

Living in the moment, warm baths, yoga and soothing music, cotton balls,

candy and rubber bands, have not lowered my PTSD symptoms from MST.

People do react differently to things -- I'm sure the

programs has helped some people to practice more effective

copeing skills, I'm just happen not to be one of them but I

have stayed as out patient because I only live about 15 minutes from Bay Pines.

You may find some help there, good luck.

jmho,

carlie

Holistic approaches may help some but I have yet to find any. The theory sounds good but actually the practice of the rituals and so called calming mantras have not accomplished anything with me. Have the facilities ever utalized a MST victim to head such programs?

Are there any MST victims who went on to receive their PhD's and practice these methods of treatments? Have any yet to counsel with a therapist who CAN truly understand the feelings of a MST victim without experiencing it?

Anyone can read articles on therapeutic ways to deal, focus, handle, live with the issues but until you have experienced it is just rhetoric. You can be open and receptive to all different treatment options, but finding the one or the one therapist to help you may be difficult.

My VAMC has a turnover rate that is ridiculous.

I will continue to HOPE there is something out there in the universe that can help me to tolerate all of the obstacles that continually stand in my way...there has to be something out there, somewhere, which can work.

Good luck to all, and if you find something that works for you be it medication, yoga, mantras, groups, whatever, more power to you.

I am open to all, but have found little with some. The best has gotta be yet to come. :blink:

I've been dealing with MST PTSD for over 10 years and so far haven't found anything (or should I say the VA hasn't found anything) that helps.

The VA keeps wanting to send me to the 7-week in-pt program but I'm a single parent with absolutely no family support...so that is a no-go for me.

I have spoken with one women who did the 7-week program, immediately after the program she was great! She was happy, feeling great, etc, etc. Now a few months later, she is back to square one. I'm sure this may not be what happens to everyone, but just one instance.

I'm not a believer in a "quick fix"...which is what the VA is pushing now.

Good luck...hope everyone finds something to help.

Thanks for everyones insight. I was not sure what types of things they did at in-pt besides a group therapy. It sounds just like the in-pt alchohol program I went through. Which didn't help. (A lot of B.S....Meditating, etc.)

I agree, the therapist means a lot!! I just have not found one yet. I have finally ventured out from the VA and I am trying to find one in our community. I have not been able to even look at the 3 therapists that I've had. I am not sure why, but I believe it is because I know they're judging me. Even though I want to talk, I only say one to three word answers. They have gotten no where with me. I am better on the computer, where no one knows me. I need a Computer Therapist.LOL

Thanks again all,

rway