VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd-mst

Rate this question

rway

Question

Has anyone gone through In-Patient PTSD-MST Counseling? I know everyone will react differently. But, I would like to know what your experience was. Did it Help at all. Not sure if I can make that step right now. I do not want to give up my alcohol at this time it helps me. I would be going to Bay Pines, VA in Florida.

Thanks for any info.

rway

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

rway:

Sorry that you feel that your therapists are judging you but if they are any good they are evaluating you and trying to put together a treatment plan.

It took me a long time but I don't really care what someone who is not family or friend think of me anymore. I also learned it does not help me to Judge others either.

My motto is to take what a person says on face value and if they prove to be lying or wrong I have not lost anything but perhaps gained some insight.

I hope that you find someone to help and there are other ways than just showing up at VA. We all need help at one time or another.

I don't usually comment about this but if I were trying to find a therapist I doubt that I would open up a lot till the Doc earned some trust. Most of the therapy at my VA is done by amateurs or they call them Residents. Getting better is a process but it can be done once you reach the point that you are willing to do what it takes to get better. Just my opinion.

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA in Tampa has been trying to get me into an in-patient pain management program. What it is is that I think the VA has these in-patient programs and no one wants to participate, so they are trying like hell to get vets into these programs to justify they jobs. I don't want to sit in a VA hospital for 19 days, four vets to a room. I have been in the VA in-patient for mental condition and I did not sleep for days due to medication screw-ups and hostile attitude from doctors telling me I should be in jail. If for some reason I ever did go into an in-patient program I would be so sure that my medications would not be suddenly stopped by some idiot. This happened to me. If I really thought the programs would significantly help I would consider it, but I don't believe that.

• HadIt.com Elder

I did a 1 month in patient deal and never again will I be a patient overnight in a VA Hospital unless I have a heart attack or something while I am there. But never if I can help it.

Has anyone gone through In-Patient PTSD-MST Counseling? I know everyone will react differently. But, I would like to know what your experience was. Did it Help at all. Not sure if I can make that step right now. I do not want to give up my alcohol at this time it helps me. I would be going to Bay Pines, VA in Florida.

Thanks for any info.

rway

I haven't tried nor would I for my own reason an in-patient program. I do know someone who went to the Bay Pines program and said it was good and it helped them. They are still dysfunctional but they say they are better than they were.

By dysfunctional, I am saying they still don't have good coping skills but they are able to function better then before. Based on what I am told she believes the Vet Center has helped her too. She goes there 5 days a week from 9-4, they go places, take classes, and they are not allowed to discuss thier issues.

I know that being retired being alone is the worst thing for me, so I am trying to keep busy out of my home the other days.

• HadIt.com Elder

Pete

Ha,ha I would like to hear what they did to you while you were in the VA? I was convinced never to stay overnight when the just cut off my hydrocodone suddenly. I went into withdrawl,of course. No amount of talking or resoning with them would help. I was in the nuthouse so you know the louder you get the more they are likely to put the straps on you and tie you down. So I had to just suffer in silence wide awake until my wife could get me out via health care POA. It was a close thing because they were not going to let me out, or medicate me even though I went in on a voluntary basis.

• HadIt.com Elder

THIS is why my husband will NEVER EVER EVER under any circumstances go in-patient at the VA.

Pete

Ha,ha I would like to hear what they did to you while you were in the VA? I was convinced never to stay overnight when the just cut off my hydrocodone suddenly. I went into withdrawl,of course. No amount of talking or resoning with them would help. I was in the nuthouse so you know the louder you get the more they are likely to put the straps on you and tie you down. So I had to just suffer in silence wide awake until my wife could get me out via health care POA. It was a close thing because they were not going to let me out, or medicate me even though I went in on a voluntary basis.