VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Letter From Psychiatrist

Rate this question

SouthernBelle

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Okay, FINALLY we are getting the doctor to write a letter, not just progress notes, about my husband's current condition. The doctor says he doesn't know what to say. He wants me to tell him. I've gone over the rating schedule for 70%, and I plan to give him that so he can compare it to my husband, and then he can..... do what? Copy it and apply it to my husband with examples? I'll post the sample letter I've drafted for him, and you tell me what you think. Please help, this has taken almost a year to get the doctor to do this, so we need it to be accurate and in VA lingo! Thanks for all replies!

To Whom It May Concern:

• Answers 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

• HadIt.com Elder

Betty, I've been telling every Vet I've come across about this site. It is 100% a Godsend. They've told me more about the VA in the last few months than I've been able to find out in the last five years! When we win, it will also be a group win.

Southern,

Being that he is already SC'd at 50% for PTSD and this claim is for an increase

the doc doesn't need to supply a nexus to active duty, that was already covered.

Just try to stay specific by meeting the requirements for a higher rating by going

with the Schedule of Rating Disabilities.

Try to stay away from as much lay evidence as

you can (he said - she said stuff) as they a decision maker can't give much

weight to it and at times it could be used to help deny some claims.

Is the goal to get to at least 70% and from there IU ?

Does he get SSA yet ? If yes, is it for PTSD ?

JMHO,

carlie

Southern,

Can you go into your profile section here at Hadit

and change the portion that pertains to the SC'd disability --

to reflect the current percentage. That will be helpful for

people to see when they are answering the posts.

Thanks,

carlie

• HadIt.com Elder

I didn't put any SC'ed info because it isn't me, it is my husband who's the Vet, I'm just the wife... His doctor is the one who's writing the letter, so it won't be any he said/she said stuff, it will be his doctor's opinion, he just doesn't know what to say, so we're trying to give him some examples of what has helped others obtain a higher rating. The VA has ignored the doctor's progress notes, which is why he's finally willing to write the letter. Their evidence list includes the progress notes, but no reference to them is made in the explanation. The only reference in the explanation is the C & P exam, which we have made clear through the chief of medicine at the facility that we disagree with because he wasn't thorough enough about CURRENT symptoms, only past symptoms. Am I making sense?

Southern,

Being that he is already SC'd at 50% for PTSD and this claim is for an increase

the doc doesn't need to supply a nexus to active duty, that was already covered.

Just try to stay specific by meeting the requirements for a higher rating by going

with the Schedule of Rating Disabilities.

Try to stay away from as much lay evidence as

you can (he said - she said stuff) as they a decision maker can't give much

weight to it and at times it could be used to help deny some claims.

Is the goal to get to at least 70% and from there IU ?

Does he get SSA yet ? If yes, is it for PTSD ?

JMHO,

carlie

Southern,

Thanks for changing that from none to 50, so we know what we are working

with. When I posted, no he said - she said here's what I'm referring to in your draft:

" Mr. XXXXXXX has difficulty in maintaining relationships, including his wife. He has often told her to find someone better, tells her she shouldn't waste her time, and that even though he needs her, she shouldn't stay around because of that".

The underlined is he said she said type of lay evidence and remember this is only my opinion.

I feel a better way of presenting this type of evidence is something like,

Mr. XXX continues to exhibit marked feelings of being unworthy of having healthy relationships and is only a burden to others as evidenced in therapy session dated XX-XX-XXXX where he states to this clinician, his wife and family would be better off without him in their life due to his increased failures and medical problems".

See, what I'm trying to show here is presenting this as Medical Evidence versus Lay Evidence.

It may seem trivial to some but the way the Evidence is presented equals in a strange way-

the amount of Weight, the Regulations instruct the decision maker to apply that particular

Evidence.

Hope this makes sense and as always,

hope this helps a vet.

carlie