VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vorehab

Rate this question

jmack

Question

I am 100p/t and receiving ssdi, been out of work for about 18 months. Am I dreaming to think maybe I could handle taking some college courses to actually feel like I have a purpose? I must admit that I feel a bit of anxiety coming on just thinking of it. But I would like to try. One of my SC disabilities is MDD.

Jmack

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

You may be able to try some online courses. There was a thread posted earlier about AMU. There was a link in that thread, you might try that!

I am 100p/t and receiving ssdi, been out of work for about 18 months. Am I dreaming to think maybe I could handle taking some college courses to actually feel like I have a purpose? I must admit that I feel a bit of anxiety coming on just thinking of it. But I would like to try. One of my SC disabilities is MDD.

Jmack

I to am 100% for ptsd and am starting college at AMU this month. I think there is not a problem as long as you do the college work on line and not go to college and sit in a classroom. And dont go telling your shrink about it keep it to yourself. I have to pay out of pocket its 700.00 a class at AMU. But like you its been 2 years since I got IU and I need something to do.

I to am 100% for ptsd and am starting college at AMU this month. I think there is not a problem as long as you do the college work on line and not go to college and sit in a classroom. And dont go telling your shrink about it keep it to yourself. I have to pay out of pocket its 700.00 a class at AMU. But like you its been 2 years since I got IU and I need something to do.

Cal,

So you didn't get the VA to foot the bill? Or did you think that it was too risky? Would like to know because that AMU sounds good especially if I can work on line. Thanks for the info.

Jmack

Guys Voc Rehab made some accomodations to my husband when he went to Corning College- he had to formally request these accomosations in writing but the college did help him-

He couldnt handle the large ticking clock they use for exams - it was suddenly a land mine set to go off in Vietnam (he had 30% PTSD then)

They allowed him to take exams alone in a separate room and knocked on the door quietly when the time was up.

The college handled that sort of stuff.

He also needed some tutoring in math course and VA Voc Rehab seemed to handle all that for him.

Also his truck transmission was going bad. We didnt use credit cards and didnt know yet how to fit this looming expense into our budget- he happened to mention it to the Voc Rehab counselor because he was afraid he might miss time from school if the car broke down and figured he should tell the VA.

The VA gave him a small loan via Voc Rehab and we got it fixed right away.

This was in the early 1990s-I dont know if Voc Rehab does this anymore-

I even wonder if any of you guys are eligible for Pell Grants in addition to Voc Rehab-I think NY even has a tuition assistance program for disabled vets.

VA made it as easy as possible for Rod to attend college-----

until after the first semester- the RO tried to drop him to 10% saying that one semester of college and a few months of part time VA job had made him a rocket scientist with a substanial and gainful income.

The VARO turned around fast when they got the NOD I prepared for him-

A Vietnam vet at the VA where he worked told him the VA wants to send out as few VA checks as possible and hates it when a vet gets a VA comp, the Voc Rehab stipend check, and then gets a paycheck in the mail from the VA too.

That vet was right.

I dont think you have to be concerned about that.It was easy to knock down the VA's proposed reduction.

Edited by Berta

The only thing I have to say about "American" "Military" "University" is that they weren't very accomodating to me when my SC anxiety/PTSD condition was truly manifesting itself in 2001 or so while I was still on active-duty, trying to make it to retirement and had trouble balancing active-duty commitment with course completion for one of their "free" degrees combining tuition assistance and they pay the rest.

After a semester of two Non-Complete courses, I was picked up by the scruff of my neck and shown the door like a common scoundrel. I even sent a lengthy letter to the "sergeant-at-arms" practically begging to get back in so I could continue a degree program, but I never so much as ever heard back from him. If I did, it was such an impersonable, generic response that I don't recall. Back then, I never even considered that the Americans with Disabilities Act could apply to me because, for one, I was still trying to "toe the line" and honor my final enlistment contract. If I'd known then what I know now, including a lot from here at hadit.com, I would have asked for some big guns to come in from on-high and give them a bit of education on how to treat people, themselves.

I'm sure a lot of you have had more positive experiences, to include graduation, but that wasn't the case for me. Now, I'm New 9/11 GI Bill-rich but have to pile further stress onto my recently awarded 100 percent schedular for Anxiety worrying about whether or not I should try again to qualify for voc rehab (VA said I have to be "stable" for three months) or GI Bill college because if I do the VA might treat me as crappy as AMU did or worse. I personally think AMU is a lot like the VA: Inflexible as the day is long, and as self-righteous as the moon. ;)