VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Disgruntled Vet Placed On Watch List

Rate this question

ROMAD

Question

I have a fellow vet student that was having difficulty at our local V.A. hospital. He went in for some surgery on his elbow and was prescribed some over the counter pain reliver.

He was concerned with being given tylenol after surgery and though he should have something stronger. Well they did not agree with him and told him tylenol would be fine. Well he told them that this was another example of getting poor service and he was going out in the hallway and let everyone know how "piss poor" his service was.

Well he did approach the advocate office to explain his displeasure and was told that he could and would be placed on a "national watch list" because of his behavior.

Now my question is do we have to bend over and take it or is there such a watch list and what effect does it have. He is stressed out about this and is drafting a four page letter to explain his point of view.

He is working on his bachelors degree in a V.A. program and is concerned about trying to get a position in the federal government. So can anyone shed some light on this? What should he do? Is an appology in order from either him or the VA? :blink:

ROMAD

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I've never heard of a watch list, but that doesn't mean one doesn't exist. My husband pitched a gawd awful hissy fit at the Pharmacy in the Charleston VA Medical Center and a watch list was never mentioned. And he really pitched a fit. His hissy fit involved screaming and banging on the window. Although, it was the girl behind the window's fault. She ignored him, which provoked him.

• HadIt.com Elder

I think they are bluffing unless the vet was so violent that they are in fear of their lives. If a vet went to a VA facility with a gun and put it up to the doctor's head then I think he would be banned. Otherwise, I don't think they can do it. They must provide healthcare to vets who are eligible.

I was on a homeland security watchlist just because of my name which is common. I went through 6 months of appeals and BS to get it off since they would neither confirm nor deny there was a list. They could not get the marbles out of their mouths when talking to me. I had my congressman involved and that is what I would do if the VA put me on any list.

ROMAD,

I would say what they have done is flag your friends file and

information.

Anytime a vet gets flagged what happens is

eachtime a VAMC employee checks the veteran into a Module or Clinic

or a doctor accesses your information to say put in a progress note,

they see the flag at the top right and this alerts them that problems

may occur.

We have discussed this at Hadit before, try our search feature and

you may find that information.

Hope this helps a vet,

carlie

UPDATE Well further info has been received.

He was told he would be placed on a watchlist as a controlled drug seeker. Since he wanted something other than tylenol. Does this change anything?

ROMAD

I have a fellow vet student that was having difficulty at our local V.A. hospital. He went in for some surgery on his elbow and was prescribed some over the counter pain reliver.

He was concerned with being given tylenol after surgery and though he should have something stronger. Well they did not agree with him and told him tylenol would be fine. Well he told them that this was another example of getting poor service and he was going out in the hallway and let everyone know how "piss poor" his service was.

Well he did approach the advocate office to explain his displeasure and was told that he could and would be placed on a "national watch list" because of his behavior.

Now my question is do we have to bend over and take it or is there such a watch list and what effect does it have. He is stressed out about this and is drafting a four page letter to explain his point of view.

He is working on his bachelors degree in a V.A. program and is concerned about trying to get a position in the federal government. So can anyone shed some light on this? What should he do? Is an appology in order from either him or the VA? :blink:

ROMAD