VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Disgruntled Vet Placed On Watch List

Rate this question

ROMAD

Question

I have a fellow vet student that was having difficulty at our local V.A. hospital. He went in for some surgery on his elbow and was prescribed some over the counter pain reliver.

He was concerned with being given tylenol after surgery and though he should have something stronger. Well they did not agree with him and told him tylenol would be fine. Well he told them that this was another example of getting poor service and he was going out in the hallway and let everyone know how "piss poor" his service was.

Well he did approach the advocate office to explain his displeasure and was told that he could and would be placed on a "national watch list" because of his behavior.

Now my question is do we have to bend over and take it or is there such a watch list and what effect does it have. He is stressed out about this and is drafting a four page letter to explain his point of view.

He is working on his bachelors degree in a V.A. program and is concerned about trying to get a position in the federal government. So can anyone shed some light on this? What should he do? Is an appology in order from either him or the VA? :blink:

ROMAD

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I went to the VA pain clinic and asked them for celebrex or vioxx. They gave me morphine instead. What does that make me? Am I an anti-inflammatory seeker. What they told me last time was that narcotics they prescribe for me aggravates my SC mental conditions. The pain is SC and the mental is SC so I must be on all lists. I am a controlled drug seeker by default or accident. The VA does assume every vet who gets narcotics as a drug addict and potential drug dealer. That is why you get the urine tests and blood tests. They want to make sure the drugs get in your system and that you are not selling them.

My records are "flagged" as I've been labeled a trouble maker because I file complaints against the VA. I told them simply if the did their job(s) correctly I wouldn't have to file so many complaints!!!

..............and I just filed another one via IRIS this evening!!!! LOL!! ask me if i care!!

• HadIt.com Elder

They hand Narcotics out to Vets like Crazy in some places, and others it takes an act of congress to get it.

If the Vet has Spine, Nerve, Migraine Issues, then there should be no reason to not get the meds needed to function. I know drugs are a bad problem anywhere in the US but If you need it to function, you need it.

The Government is treating Docs like Drug Lords and they are afraid to prescribe the meds.

You also get flagged if your spouse works at the VA.

It is a good system if we lived in Russia.

J

Edited by jbasser

Interesting Article that Carlie posted.

I just hope and pray that no Vet who is really in need of care is denied or delayed that care because of a vindictive health care practioner.

So much for confidentiality and privacy with the cashier clerk having access to this data! :lol:

And the battle rages on with the VA...

Thanks Carlie that was interesting to say the least and I am going to find out if I have been blacklisted by the Pain Clinic and if I have--fun time for me.

Not only will I file complaints with the IG,AHCA,JCAHO, I will call the papers (AP) and scream they are violating my right to privacy. Plus send an email to all senators and congressmen. Then I will get an attorney and file a federal tort claim if that's possible.

The VA would have a hard time selling to anyone I am drug seeking or a addict.

The VA really only responds if you get the papers involved.

Freedom of Information Act.

I use this to get a copy of all of my doctors notes, every so often. They don't want you to see them, and when you ask for them, they say "no."

My Opinion: The clerks working in the ROI Office don't try to stop claimants from getting

copies of their records, they have no stake in the claims process what so ever.

To think otherwise just takes energy away from working on your claims.

However if you show up with a copy of the "Freedom of Information Act" and request your records, they have to give you everything they have on you. Use this to see if you are on the watch list, or have been flagged.

1) Claimants don't need to take a copy of the FOIA to ROI with them, they already have

plenty of copies there.

2) ROI does not have to provide copies of everything to a claimant when requested.

Many times MH records will not be released to the claimant until the MH provider gives an OK for ROI to provide copies of these records. This is also the procedure for the private sector.

3) When a claimant gets copies of their records the records will not show or state if the claimant is on a watch list or if they and/or their file has been flagged. The only way this might show up in the records is if a medical service provider has stated such somewhere in the progress notes

or a similar area of notes.

It is retarded, but by law, you may not see some of the records they have on you. For example doctors notes from a CMP (compensation and pension examination), when you request to see them, they will tell you "no." Walk in with a copy of the "Freedom of Information Act," and they can print them out on the spot for you.

1) Copies of C&P examinations are readily available in ROI, you may need to wait a wek or two after the C&P to get the copies from ROI.

2) Copies of newer records can be printed out on the spot for the claimant but usually

if it's a couple of hundred pages or so then ROI will mail them to you.

Hope this helps a vet.

jmho,

carlie