VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Advice On Hyp As Sec. To Dm-ii - Berta/pete/peers?

Rate this question

bob_abad

Question

Here's my situation:

1. NOD - My HYP claim as exposed to AO was originally denied. I responded w/ NOD and it did not go nowhere. VA also stated that the IOM report has not been approved within VA as of yet.

> I called 1-800 for advice.

> I cancelled/closed my Appeal/NOD Claim.

2. Reopen Claim filing - Filled for HYP as secondary to DM-II. I received a letter few days ago, stating that I was already denied for HYP as sec. to DM-II. This is not correct as my original claim of HYP from AO was the one denied. They also stated that if I am reopening HYP sec to DM-II, I should provide "additional" documents or evidence. I have had this HYP w/ DM-II for more than 10 years+ now. I am taking(from VA) 3 medicines to control my HYP. All my HYP related records are in the VA system w/c also included copies from my outside primary care for many years. Other than this, I do not have additional or new evidence to justify Reopen Claim

** I have been doing the claims by myself, and worked directly w/ Oakland RGO in the past.

Needed advice or hints how I should proceed. Will consult w/ DAV or county VSO as last resort.

Hear from you soon. Thanks in advance!

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

"Reopen Claim filing - Filled for HYP as secondary to DM-II. I received a letter few days ago, stating that I was already denied for HYP as sec. to DM-II"--

Did they send you a SOC or SSOC detailing why they denied HYP as sec. to DM-II"

This may make a difference in which way to go.

The IOM report was not considered "sufficient evidence" for HYP by the present VA Sec, likely because of the cost. It is interesting to note that the same report placed HYP and Lou Gerig's disease in the same category, and the VA approved it for presumption.

Here's my situation:

1. NOD - My HYP claim as exposed to AO was originally denied. I responded w/ NOD and it did not go nowhere. VA also stated that the IOM report has not been approved within VA as of yet.

> I called 1-800 for advice.

> I cancelled/closed my Appeal/NOD Claim.

2. Reopen Claim filing - Filled for HYP as secondary to DM-II. I received a letter few days ago, stating that I was already denied for HYP as sec. to DM-II. This is not correct as my original claim of HYP from AO was the one denied. They also stated that if I am reopening HYP sec to DM-II, I should provide "additional" documents or evidence. I have had this HYP w/ DM-II for more than 10 years+ now. I am taking(from VA) 3 medicines to control my HYP. All my HYP related records are in the VA system w/c also included copies from my outside primary care for many years. Other than this, I do not have additional or new evidence to justify Reopen Claim

** I have been doing the claims by myself, and worked directly w/ Oakland RGO in the past.

Needed advice or hints how I should proceed. Will consult w/ DAV or county VSO as last resort.

Hear from you soon. Thanks in advance!

Hi Chuck,

They sent me an SOC(from the NOD) if I wanted to continue on w/ HYP AO exposure which I knew was a losing battle. This is why I closed/cancelled the NOD claim, and concentrated on the Reopen claim(HYP, sec. to DM-II).

• HadIt.com Elder

Bob, do you have a IMO stating that your HTN is (at least as likely as not related to your SC diabetes)

If you dont, you will need one. A Medical Nexus or opinion to put your HTN into relative equipose or 50/50 rule. That should kick in the Benefit of the Doubt Rule in your case.

Be advised that the VA often does counter exams with leading questions to the Examiner.

ALso, do you have heart disease? Many folks with DMII and HTN do.

J