VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Zomig Caution

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I was prescribed Zomig by VA Neurology. I am also Sc for Heart Disease and HTN.

I started to take one and I glanced at the Box. It said do not take if you have heart disease or Severe HTN.

I looked it up and it has been known to cause fatal MI's.

Why would they prescribe this med to someone with the risk factors?

J

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Because they are stupid and don't read your charts, or they got you mixed up with another vet. You know your Primary has about 10 minutes with each patient and some have 20-30 meds. Do you think they check all these drugs to see the interactions? Your widow could sue them, of course. Mabye they were trying to kill you!!!! These doctors at the VA are dangerous, and some of the private ones are not so keen either. That is the main thing they are supposed to do is check for side effects and interactions of drugs they prescribe to you.

• 5 months later...

J

wow, thanks for the caution. I am on high blood pressure meds and zomig and when I take these meds my heart race, I gets cold sweats and I feel like I am going to pass out. I have an upcoming appt. with neurology. I will check with them

Pete992

Its the drug of the month. Some durg representive is getting a kickback, so, thats the medicine you get this month. If you do have a MI,and live, file an 1151 claim.

Yes, the VA docs and pharmacists are idiots. I can't count the times they've made me sick on bad drug interactions!!!

Here is the website I use to check all of my own drug interactions:

http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html

I *highly* recommend everyone check all of their meds they take both from the VA and any other meds you take. There are several of these web-sites available.

We have to be our own advocates here because the VA isn't going to do anything for us.

• HadIt.com Elder

Yep! You have to watch, what your being prescribed, by your docs. I have taken, zomig, imitrex, etc.. They made me real jittery, nervous, hypersensitive, etc.. I used to get real bad headaches, for years and I thought it was from allergies, or something, but they used to be, like rhino, scary, headaches. I think what gave the final relief was a regime of singulair (montkluset) and nasal spray. But have to be real concious of enviromental things that have an effect on my person. I am a paranoid, non-getting sick person :rolleyes: .