VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Als (lou Gehrig's Disease)

Rate this question

vmo

Question

Amyotropic lateral sclerosis. VA Secretary cites association between military service and later development of "ALS" News release: Sept. 23, 2008. **Does any one know or have you heard anything on dates/time limits, etc.? Does it only pertain to Gulf War vets or any vet?? Widows, etc.? I have a friend who passed away with ALS in 2005 with two years active duty Army back in the 50's, widow could sure use VA DIC if available.

I'll refer her to file DIC application, regardless. **Would appreciate any help or input/update.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

From What I have read, ALS is a presumptive condition not restricted by any time limitations after discharge.

If a person needs to file a DIC claim now is the time to file.

It is very sad but there will be several DIC claims filed.

J

Edited by jbasser

• HadIt.com Elder

That is one claim I hope I never have to make, but it would be devestating to a spouse and I am glad the VA is taking responsibility. This is based on statistical data? If the VA used statistical data for AO in an honest manner the presumptive list would be as long as your arm. Dioxin is one of the deadliest chemicals in the world. I remember the guy who drank it to prove it was harmless. I believe he died of stomach cancer.

AL Amyloidisis- is now presumptive to Agent Orange exposure-this is a disease from abnormal protein deposits

ALS -Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis- is what the new regs are about and they cover ALL veterans-but you have to carefully read the actual regs they wtore for these claims-

AlS (lou Gehrigs Disease) is a progressive neurogenic disease.

The widow should file the claim ASAP -I believe she will only get retro to the date of her claim or the effective date regs- which is Sept 2008.

This is not a AO Nehmer situation so no other retro as far as I can tell from the actual ALS regs would be due her-

If ALS caused or contributed to her husband's death and is on death certificate or autopsy as contributing or causing, she should definitely file for DIC.

They forgot us again- the regs make no clear provision for DIC claims- therefore I think widows can only expect an EED for DIC that falls after the reg publication date.

I think all vets or widows with denials for ALS SC or death might have to file CUE claims- but even that might not work as to obtaining more retro because of the way this new reg limited the regs to "new" claims.

Thanks for input. Talked to widow earlier today. She is going Monday morning to County Vets Office to telephone in "informal claim" to establish date of claim as Sept. 29. Original DIC application to soon follow. Vet had 3 years peacetime service 1959-61. Died of ALS-Lou Gehrig's Disease in 1993 (not '05). How time fly's. I sure hope this claim floats as the widow's only income is Soc.Security.