VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Any Last Minute Advice For Monday Mental C&p ?

Rate this question

dav_marine72

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi Everyone,

Going for a 2nd C&P exam at the VARO. The first was in 2005. They rated 30% secondary to my back. My back is 20% ortho and 10% neuro at U.S. court of appeals. Will be getting a remand hopefully based on BVA not considering to IMEs. Anyway first rating was based on depression, daily panic attacks, demotivation. I appealed and now I am back again. One of the problems I think I had with my back was I don't show pain or emotions to strangers well. Hence the low ratings for 3 levels of DDD with epidural scarring and sharp shooting leg, buttock, and testicle pain with numbness.

Anyway since this 2005 exam my back and mental conditions have gotten 200% worse. I take 4-5 oxys for the pain and still have 3-4 panic attacks a day. My ativan has been increased once and my buspar twice without any change. I have been on Zoloft 60mg since 2002. In addition I cry a couple of times a day for no reason and have suicidal thoughts. I have been in therapy since March (got private insurance again) and my therapist wrote a letter stating I have multiple panic attacks / anxiety a day. Stated that my mental condition has a severe impact on my professional and social life. I also had my wife write a notarized letter stating all of the above in addition to my irritability, violence against walls and other non-human objects, 8 jobs in less than 4 years, some fire and some I left because I couldn't get along with co-workers or boss, the fact I am always yelling at her and the kids for no reason, the stress the drugs have put on our marriage because I can't get it up or finish if I can, lack of wanting to also, witnessed me crying for no reason, the stress all my sc appointments put on the family, and the fact I'm a social outcast.

Given the my past experience of not being able to open up to my true symptoms in front of the examiner I think I have to try and let it all out this time. I don't want this thing going to the BVA and then maybe the court again. I don't want to wait 4 years for any money. I know the evidence show at least 50% here.

Anyone else have to do the same to show their true symptoms? Any adive would be appreciated. I am scared I'm going to get screwed again.

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

This might sound silly, but it has helped me....never answer "I don't know" to any question...always a "yes" or a "no"...the "I don't know" answer leaves the door wide open for the C&P doc to fill in the blank with whatever answer he/she wants.

Take yourself out for a treat of some sort after the exam.....a nice lunch or dinner out; you deserve it! take care,

• HadIt.com Elder

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for all the great advice. I am as ready I can be. I'll report back tomorrow the fun details.

Berta:

I don't know how I missed your post. Especially since you were the first. I must have been post sleeping. Anyway you suggested an awesome idea. I'm going to deliver the IMEs to the examiner along with the other evidence. This isn't for TDIU yet just for a mental increase. By giving the examiner the IME's although they are for back, testicle pain, and high blood pressure this may get the VARO to acknowledge them. I'll just tell him I thought he should see them since the mental is secondary to the back. Show him my back is worse making the mental worse. Either way if it gets the IMEs in it's worth it. I owe you girl I didn't think of that one! Thanks.

• HadIt.com Elder

Just had a thought after you posted that you are giving IMEs and other evidence. If there's time think about doing a cover letter addressed to the VA and list by number the attachments, what you are submitting by title, subject date author for cya. Date your cover letter too. Once had doc return copy of info to me before I left the office, but I wanted it included.

Best to ya,

Cg

name='dav_marine72' date='Sep 28 2008, 06:22 PM' post='107950']

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for all the great advice. I am as ready I can be. I'll report back tomorrow the fun details.

Berta:

I don't know how I missed your post. Especially since you were the first. I must have been post sleeping. Anyway you suggested an awesome idea. I'm going to deliver the IMEs to the examiner along with the other evidence. This isn't for TDIU yet just for a mental increase. By giving the examiner the IME's although they are for back, testicle pain, and high blood pressure this may get the VARO to acknowledge them. I'll just tell him I thought he should see them since the mental is secondary to the back. Show him my back is worse making the mental worse. Either way if it gets the IMEs in it's worth it. I owe you girl I didn't think of that one! Thanks.

Don't be alarmed as he new mental health exam is like 14-16 pages...you will be in there for a long time. Be honest and tell them like you thought if you told them all of your symptoms prior they would admit you, and you just can't stand the mental anguish and mental pain and really need the help no matter what...

As so many have said dress down. Hair not well groomed either. I don't think you need to have an odor about you but no perfume/cologne use. Don't be afraid to be emotional, and use their tissues.

Let it all out...your true feelings and hang ups, and irrational behavior, and manic episodes, and sleeplessness...fights with others, hate crowds...

Also if you had to stop and vomit along the way, let them know how apprehensive you are with any new situations, and avoidance of people, places, things. No relationships with family or friends. Have no one to confide in. Feel someone is out to get you (like VA, but don't tell them who). Paranoid. Depressed, suicidal...Tell them everything. DO NOT SMILE OR LAUGH OR TELL ANYTHING HUMOROUS. You are sad, look the part. Good luck and you will do fine with honest statements.

• Founder

this is worth a read before you go again http://www.hadit.com/vaclaimslibrary/compe...todoatcandp.htm

Hi Everyone,

Going for a 2nd C&P exam at the VARO. The first was in 2005. They rated 30% secondary to my back. My back is 20% ortho and 10% neuro at U.S. court of appeals. Will be getting a remand hopefully based on BVA not considering to IMEs. Anyway first rating was based on depression, daily panic attacks, demotivation. I appealed and now I am back again. One of the problems I think I had with my back was I don't show pain or emotions to strangers well. Hence the low ratings for 3 levels of DDD with epidural scarring and sharp shooting leg, buttock, and testicle pain with numbness.

Anyway since this 2005 exam my back and mental conditions have gotten 200% worse. I take 4-5 oxys for the pain and still have 3-4 panic attacks a day. My ativan has been increased once and my buspar twice without any change. I have been on Zoloft 60mg since 2002. In addition I cry a couple of times a day for no reason and have suicidal thoughts. I have been in therapy since March (got private insurance again) and my therapist wrote a letter stating I have multiple panic attacks / anxiety a day. Stated that my mental condition has a severe impact on my professional and social life. I also had my wife write a notarized letter stating all of the above in addition to my irritability, violence against walls and other non-human objects, 8 jobs in less than 4 years, some fire and some I left because I couldn't get along with co-workers or boss, the fact I am always yelling at her and the kids for no reason, the stress the drugs have put on our marriage because I can't get it up or finish if I can, lack of wanting to also, witnessed me crying for no reason, the stress all my sc appointments put on the family, and the fact I'm a social outcast.

Given the my past experience of not being able to open up to my true symptoms in front of the examiner I think I have to try and let it all out this time. I don't want this thing going to the BVA and then maybe the court again. I don't want to wait 4 years for any money. I know the evidence show at least 50% here.

Anyone else have to do the same to show their true symptoms? Any adive would be appreciated. I am scared I'm going to get screwed again.

DAV Marine-I don't know how receptive a C & P doc will be to reading your IMEs-

BUT it will show him that you have supportive medical evidence already-

In the second opinion my IMO doctor prepared he specifically stated that the VA examiner did not have the benefit of his initial opinion when she opined for the VA.

The BVA has taken note of what Dr. BAsh said in their recent remand to me,and has disregarded her opinion completely by ordering a new one instead-

This shows me that you have every right to let the C & P doc know of any IMO you have before some rater can read their opinion,parse it into a SOC, and then disregard yours-