VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Any Last Minute Advice For Monday Mental C&p ?

Rate this question

dav_marine72

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi Everyone,

Going for a 2nd C&P exam at the VARO. The first was in 2005. They rated 30% secondary to my back. My back is 20% ortho and 10% neuro at U.S. court of appeals. Will be getting a remand hopefully based on BVA not considering to IMEs. Anyway first rating was based on depression, daily panic attacks, demotivation. I appealed and now I am back again. One of the problems I think I had with my back was I don't show pain or emotions to strangers well. Hence the low ratings for 3 levels of DDD with epidural scarring and sharp shooting leg, buttock, and testicle pain with numbness.

Anyway since this 2005 exam my back and mental conditions have gotten 200% worse. I take 4-5 oxys for the pain and still have 3-4 panic attacks a day. My ativan has been increased once and my buspar twice without any change. I have been on Zoloft 60mg since 2002. In addition I cry a couple of times a day for no reason and have suicidal thoughts. I have been in therapy since March (got private insurance again) and my therapist wrote a letter stating I have multiple panic attacks / anxiety a day. Stated that my mental condition has a severe impact on my professional and social life. I also had my wife write a notarized letter stating all of the above in addition to my irritability, violence against walls and other non-human objects, 8 jobs in less than 4 years, some fire and some I left because I couldn't get along with co-workers or boss, the fact I am always yelling at her and the kids for no reason, the stress the drugs have put on our marriage because I can't get it up or finish if I can, lack of wanting to also, witnessed me crying for no reason, the stress all my sc appointments put on the family, and the fact I'm a social outcast.

Given the my past experience of not being able to open up to my true symptoms in front of the examiner I think I have to try and let it all out this time. I don't want this thing going to the BVA and then maybe the court again. I don't want to wait 4 years for any money. I know the evidence show at least 50% here.

Anyone else have to do the same to show their true symptoms? Any adive would be appreciated. I am scared I'm going to get screwed again.

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

WARNING! tHIS IS NOT MENT TO BE TAKEN LITERALLY, THEN AGAIN?

If your on any psychiatric medications, stop taking them. NOT A GOOD IDEA, OR IS IT?

Stop all personal hygiene and grooming, Stop eating a regular diet, Drink high caffene drinks, If you can, ware the same clothes from today, those you plan to where to the C&P, maybe work up a sweat, Try not to sleep until after you C&P. All not very good ideas, but in some cases is already a norm.

I'm to proud and was taught to bath and change out my underclothes before visiting a Dr., which probably has cost me in the long run. It's hard for them to think of you as having problems when your seen at your best. I think Social Services should make home visits for people who have mental problems as part of any psych work up. You then get a more balanced understanding of the persons social and industrial adaptability.

I can tell you my home invironment is pretty much a 180 of my public appearance most of the time, but I can't help it, wanting people to look and act around me like I was a normal person when I know I am not. I've learned how to seperate my two faces over the past 35 years so well, it has become a part of my life to such a degree, it harms my ability to get the help I really need and should have. It's like a dislexic person or someone who can't read,they find ways to hide their problem and unless something drastic happens, they go on with life as if they are as normal as you and me, when in fact, they struggle each and every day just to survive and maintain their appearance of a normal person.

Fight this erg to look and act normal, think of your worst day and try to confer that idea to the C&P examiner if at all possible. Don't exagerate, but don't sugger cote it because you are imbarressed or ashamed at how you think he might think of you either.

If you have medical notation in your medical records that document any of the bad times, highlight them and show them to the Examiner, so he won't think you are telling a story. Personal letters from friends who see you on a regular basis and see you when you appear OK and when you are not. If their is a reason listed for why you are taking a particular psch med, make sure that is documented in your medical records and make sure it is noted that it is for the condition for which you are seeking SC for or for an increase.

Above all else, keep your answers simple, try not to go into a rage unless that is part of your problem, and above all else, refrain from eye contact as much as possible, take your time in your answers, think about the question first, ask a question if you do not understand the reason for the question. Another thing I have noted, if the phone should ring in the examiner's office during your exam, as far as I concerned, this is a ploy to see how you react to it, since their is no lagitament reason for such a call, they have not emergencies to respond to, they have no patients to attend to, so if they do get a phone call, I would respond by asking the examiner that maybe you should come back at a better time when he isn't so busy and can spend his undevided attention to you and your exam. You wouldn't want him to be distracted and imput something that would otherwise be interpreted in an unfavorable light due to such distractions. This is just me, because I am somewhat paranoid anyway.

Being paranoid, the list can go on and on, but I think from what others have said and my schude opinion, you have a lot to ponder between now and then.

Rockhound Rider ;)

So........ THATS where I failed (smacking self upside the head LOL) I went in like I was going to work, well groomed, even took a shower that day AND did my hair (beauty shop the weekend before) geesh, I always think that to do the opposite shows the 'real me'. That I dont look like this most days and I am NOT crazy and yes I can shower and I even brush my teeth. Then the voices tell me I am an idiot because I AM crazy just look good being that way.

See how well put together I am Mr. C&P examiner??? Im wondering if I put a kick me sign on my butt will someone just really KICK ME for being so stupid!!!! aaaaaaaaaarrrghhhh :P

Is there a such thing as a well groomed depressed person? Of course, its me. ;) Actually, if I look bad its makes me feel worse. So I have to put on the mask and make it work for me.

• HadIt.com Elder

halos said to tell them if you have to stop to vomit on the way to the exam. I would say wait til you get there and vomit on the doctor. Tell him you are sorry but you are just so nervous you could not help projectile vomiting all over him. Aim for the eyes.

• HadIt.com Elder

LOVE IT! I'll never forget that!

halos said to tell them if you have to stop to vomit on the way to the exam. I would say wait til you get there and vomit on the doctor. Tell him you are sorry but you are just so nervous you could not help projectile vomiting all over him. Aim for the eyes.