VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Upcoming C & P Exam

Rate this question

cbayless1984

Question

Just a little background first. I got out of the army after serving 3 years on a medical discharge for a back injury substained on a jump in germany for my foreign wings. The paper when I got out said 0% but i was told that didn't have much bearing on my VA claim. For some reason (no good one) I waited from july of 2005 till october of 2007 to file my original claim. I'm gonna go ahead and be upfront. I filed for (and have plenty of medical records documenting each condition) Chronic back pain, Advanced degenerative disc disease, herniated intvertabral disc(s), opiod addiction, anxiety, depression and insomnia. That was in October of 2007. I just recently, after sending a formal complaint, was called and told my file was personally carried somewhere and they were scheduling me for a c & p exam. About a week ago I recieved a letter, alot like the first one, stating

"We are amending your claim to include service-connected compensation for depression secondary to your back condition (also claimed as insomnia, anxiety, and opiod addiction)".

As of today, I haven't recieved a letter saying when my c & p exam but the guy said 10-15 bus. days. Basically, and I was told this on the phone from a supervisor, my claim has been sitting on someone's desk since march but there "on top of it now".

I'm telling everybody 1. to introduce myself 2. ask if anyone is familiar w/ the opiod addiction part (i've researched it as much as i can, I was given percocet after my injury, then sent to physical medicine at womack where they gave me more percocet, then morphine and percocet, then fentyl patches and percocet, then finally oxycontin 50mg twice a day and 4 percocet for breakthru, the oxycontin and percocet went on for about 8 months till i got out and my physical medicine doc told me to go to the va and they'll give em to me. yeah right. I was told they don't prescribe narcotics for my type of injuries) that's pretty much the only time I've went to the va. They went from prescribing me 60 40mg Oxycontin, 60 10mg Oxycontin, and 120 5mg percocet a month to zip. No taper, no anything, and I have all the prescription records showing it, everything was filled at womack, they had to special order the oxycontin. I got off subject but I wanted to shed some light on that issue. the 3rd reason is if that statement the second paragraph I have, the one the VA sent me about amending my claim, does that mean anything good for me, I was hoping someone could shed some light. The last reason I guess, I've been thru all the pointers for the C & P exam but if anyone has anything specific for my situtation i'll listen. Thanks for having me.

Chris

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Just to make it clear, what i'm saying is while i was on active duty, i was seen at the physical medicine clinic at womack and prescribed opiates for 2 years. I got out and made an appt w/ the VA, that's when they told me they don't prescribe narcotics for my injury. I've never been in any kinda pain program with the VA. The docs were at the physical medicine clinic at Womack while I was on active duty. Just wanted to clear that up, after reading my post, it sounded confusing.

• HadIt.com Elder

Chris:

Welcome to Hadit. From what you have written it looks like you have a Guardian Angel at the VA and for a change they are doing the right thing.

Good Luck

• HadIt.com Elder

Chris

The military and VA are responsible for your addiction. You were a compliant patient and now they have to fix you. You know I went to the VA and asked for Vioxx for my back and they prescribe morphine instead. They said Vioxx was too expensive. Then they tell me I have a problem!! I do not believe for one second your physical addiction is of your making. Mine was not either after I got hurt and started using the VA pain clinic. I have taken many drug tests and I never abused the drugs I got from VA. They are good at shifting blame. Also, pain clinics at the VA will blame you if you don't respond the way they want you to respond. You become a problem because you don't get better. If you complain then they want to get rid of you. Remember that every blood or urine test you take at VA is a drug screen, so don't have anything in your system you should not have, or not have something you should have. They get you both ways. The VA assumes you are a drug addict, and that if given a chance you will sell your drugs for cash.

• HadIt.com Elder

If I read your post correctly you said that the VA added you for depression and anxiety and they hardly ever add a claim or grant one that the Vet does not specifically ask for. I tried to go back and find it but did not so if I misread than I am sorry.

I buy my own pain meds civilian Dr prescribes...have for years. Herniated discs 3 for years...pain radiating down legs since 1969. Gets so much worse as the years progress.