VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dc 9205 Schizophrenia, Residual Type

Rate this question

Rockhound

Question

John999 on another forum page, brought up the question dealing with Schizophrenia, Residual Type. I've remembered others asking me or telling me or discussing this diagnosis, but up till now it never really sank in, that my original diagnosis of an "Acute Schizophrenic Episode, in remisson," had the DC of 2954, which was the diagnostic code from the DSM manual of DC 9205. This DC of 9205 is the current DC for Schizophrenia, Residual Type.This is the Diagnosis for which I was medically discharged from the Navy and also the diagnosis that the VA later implied was made in error, when they denied my original claim, saying instead I had a Personality Disorder, Inadequate Type, associated with an inadequate educational experience.Although a statement intered into my medical records, this past year, doesn't reference that the past diagnosis of the personality disorder was made in error, it does state that in this psychiatrists opinion, this person does not meet any requirements of any personality disorders as set down in the DSM IV.IMHO, since I do not represent any of the criteria in the DSM IV for a personality disorder and since a personality disorder is thought to be a life long disorder, Then how can both of these opinions be correct. One must be wrong and how do I go about getting a determination as to which one is incorrect, preferably the one used as the basis for which I was denied SC for the diagnosis of an Acute Schizophrenic Episode, in remission, now refered as Schizophrenia, residual type, DSM IV, DC 9205?Since looking over my medical history, I am at a loss as to why I haven't been given a current diagnosis of schizophrenia, residual type. My only idea as to why not, is that the VA is making a conserted attempt at keeping me from getting SC for this, since it would demonstrate a clear and unmistakable error in their prior decision and cost them 35 plus years of retroactive payment for disability benefits. This only reinforces my paranoia towards the VA system, making it necessary for me to self medicate myself with a higher dosage of my psych medication,(approved by Dr.) so that these intrusive thoughts, in my opinion, leads to another psychotic brake, possibly as severe as the one that I had in the service and for which I was medically discharged.I hate working this part of my claim, It scares the hell out of me, that if I do not see a favorable resolution to this soon, I may give up trying to keep myself in check, since I will feel there is no further reason to do so. Either way, the government will end up taking care of me, or it will be suicide by VA logic. Going postal is not limited to postal worker. Chill pill time and another day spent recuperating from its effect. Just have to make sure my Cats food dispenser and water bowl are both full.I wonder why sometimes, "why do I try so hard to stay sane?"Rockhound Rider.

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Rock

You can have both schizophrenia residual type and a PD. My first diagnosis was pseudopsychopathic schizophrenia. This means I have sort of mixed traits of a PD, but am truly schizophrenic. I did get a PD diagnosis and a schizophrenic diagnosis in my initial rating. Maybe this is what you should have gotten. The VA doctor knew what he was doing. He screwed you to save the goverment money. How exactly to fix that I don't know since the decision became final. I think you need a lawyer to take up your claim. Either the military should have given you a disability or the VA should have. You were medically boarded out with no pension or rating? See, the military and the VA take advantage of the mentally ill to screw them when they are down especially in that day and time.

John999: The Military/Navy did give me a disability, but rated it at 0%, I think because at the time I was in remission. However the residuals of said disability were never rated. i.e. moderate impairment to social and industrial adaptability, but severely impaired for further service in the Navy. Stating the condition was probably permanent.

Had the VA also SC me, I could then have reopened my claim as an increase in severity. Instead the VA slaps a lable of the PD on me, implying it was the cause of my psychotic behavior and a correction of the diagnosis made by the Navy.

On my page listed as "Physical Evaluation Board-Proceedings and Findings," they list my diagnosis as Acute schizophrenia episode in remission with an ICDA code or 2854 and under disability rating, VA Codes and percent of DC 9205 at 0%. on this same page it says "this party is unfit because of physical disability". It doesn't say anyware that I am disabled or unfit for duty because of a PD.

Rockhound Rider :lol: