VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Interesting Reply

Rate this question

SouthernBelle

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Okay, so here's what I did: I sent the Appeals department a copy of my power bill last week. It was supposed to be cut off so my Congressional contact suggested I tell them that, "you never know" was his rationale. So, I did, and I asked him to find out if it was properly associated with the C-File. This is the response I got:

I received this reply from my Congressional Liaison at the VA Regional Office in Decatur:

"Re Brian ALEWINE:

I have given the fax and file to the supervisor of appeals. There is a possibility of Mr Alewine receiving a loan from the Vocational Rehablitation and Employment Program that he is under. For further information on the loan he can call his counselor Steve at 912 555-5555"

I hope that this will assure you that the documentation has been received and associated with his file.

Take care,

Here's the thing: We didn't ask for a loan, in fact, we didn't ask for anything! I just did what the fella said to do! I just sent the copy with the cut off date, but we didn't ask for anything. What are they doing? We do NOT want a loan, we can't pay it back! Any ideas?!

Edited by SouthernBelle

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

The loan was the VA's idea trying to help you out and keep you from getting your power shut off.

The request will not speed up an appeal or a claim but these folks are showing a little bit of humanity by offering the loan. Belle, I have seen Veterans have to take Bankruptcy, lose their homes, lose everything.

I have seen them go from being suicidal to being on top of the world in a days time.

This game is without a doubt the most stressful event you will ever encounter.

J

• HadIt.com Elder

I know the game is stressful. We lost our house last year. If we take their offer of a loan, how are we supposed to pay it back? They know our financial situation, we don't even makes ends meet, how can we pay back a loan? You know, that just doesn't make sense to me: Take a loan to make ends meet, but have no way of paying it back because without the loan the ends wouldn't meet. So they have a little bit of humanity. Just not enough to adjudicate all the claims sitting on their desks. Makes me wonder...

The loan was the VA's idea trying to help you out and keep you from getting your power shut off.

The request will not speed up an appeal or a claim but these folks are showing a little bit of humanity by offering the loan. Belle, I have seen Veterans have to take Bankruptcy, lose their homes, lose everything.

I have seen them go from being suicidal to being on top of the world in a days time.

This game is without a doubt the most stressful event you will ever encounter.

J

• HadIt.com Elder
I know the game is stressful. We lost our house last year. If we take their offer of a loan, how are we supposed to pay it back? They know our financial situation, we don't even makes ends meet, how can we pay back a loan? You know, that just doesn't make sense to me: Take a loan to make ends meet, but have no way of paying it back because without the loan the ends wouldn't meet. So they have a little bit of humanity. Just not enough to adjudicate all the claims sitting on their desks. Makes me wonder...

Find out the terms of the loan, you could ask that the loan be deferred until your claims are adjudicated.

Accepting the loan will reinforce their knowledge of husband's disability.

My 2 cents. ~Wings

I agree with Wings-they could start deducting payments from the comp or Voc Rehab check-dont know-

Belle- does your county have a HEAP program?

I think that stands for Home Energy Assistance Program.

It depends on total income and number of family members.

Years ago a neighbor up the road had a financial catastrophe-and he was eligible for HEAP which paid his electric bills and even gave him two tanks of heating oil.

He told me they provide any sorts of help with heating needs -to include wood if the family only has wood stove for heat.

I dont know if your county has this or if you would be eligible-but maybe they would at least pay the electric bill for you.

• HadIt.com Elder

Berta, I haven't heard anything about HEAP, but this area has a number called 211. You call it and they are a central phone number for all the local programs. They are a very valuable resource. They didn't have anything for us at this time, because it is cooling off and the heat or cold "isn't much of a problem" except for the fact that I have a child on a nebulizer that requires POWER. Anyways, that's just what they told me. I'll ask some more questions about this, though. When I get to the phone at my parent's house.

I agree with Wings-they could start deducting payments from the comp or Voc Rehab check-dont know-

Belle- does your county have a HEAP program?

I think that stands for Home Energy Assistance Program.

It depends on total income and number of family members.

Years ago a neighbor up the road had a financial catastrophe-and he was eligible for HEAP which paid his electric bills and even gave him two tanks of heating oil.

He told me they provide any sorts of help with heating needs -to include wood if the family only has wood stove for heat.

I dont know if your county has this or if you would be eligible-but maybe they would at least pay the electric bill for you.