VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Gaf

Rate this question

DeeDee

Question

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I really am not trying to waste anyones time. I am a DS veteran who was injured in the line of duty. I am currently 20% for my injury. I am in pain constantly. I never thought of filing for a mental disorder until I tested positive for PTSD at the VA. I don't beleive I have PTSD, I do beleive I have anxiety/depression and panic attacks. For the past 2 years I have been on pain medication and 2 anti-depressants. I have panic attacks and sleep loss (due to the pain). I am working but it is hard. I have a 4 yr old son and I can't quit. I know little old for a pre-schooler, but that is how God intended it for me and he is my life. I don't know what I would do if it weren't for him. I retired from the NG 12/1 but as you all know, no benfits till age 60. My family doctor says my anxiety & panic disorder is due to the chronic pain. The C&P examiner said the anxiety disorder is more likely than not related to the chronic pain from my sc injury. I am not looking for a free ride, I am trying to take the best care I can of my son. This has been a very bad start, but thanks to you guys. The only other info I know to give is the DSM on my report:

ax I - 1. anxiety disorder NOS with some intrusive generalized anxiety disorder

2. panic disorder

ax II - none

ax III - per medical

ax IV- chronic pain

ax V - GAF 55

Dee Dee-if the VA is saying you have PTSD -file a claim on that-

and also file for an increased rating on the anxiety/depression/ panic attacks as secondary.

Make sure the VA knows in your claim, of the affect not only of the pain but also of how any side affects of their meds hinder your ability to work.

Keep your treatments current -the VA just loves paper and it is paper that helps win a claim- documentation of therapy, meds , etc----

The inservice injury- at 20%- you didnt tell us much about that-

would the PTSD be directly from that event or from an additional matter?

One of my vets would not accept his PTSD (well I know a few more than dont too)

Finally he listened to his SO, went thru the PTSD shrink stuff and got 50% for PTSD-

and it finally put him into a treatment situation where he felt comfortable to begin to tell his story-

among other vets- he needed that-

There is no shame to having PTSD at all- if you feel your peers and family will not understand-

dont even share it with them- the VA understands it and we do too----

Welcome aboard Dee Dee- and Thank You for your service!

by the way- did you file a claim within your first year after discharge and-if so- did they pay you retro back to day after your discharge?

• HadIt.com Elder
I really am not trying to waste anyones time. I am a DS veteran who was injured in the line of duty. I am currently 20% for my injury. I am in pain constantly. I never thought of filing for a mental disorder until I tested positive for PTSD at the VA. I don't beleive I have PTSD, I do beleive I have anxiety/depression and panic attacks. For the past 2 years I have been on pain medication and 2 anti-depressants. I have panic attacks and sleep loss (due to the pain). I am working but it is hard. I have a 4 yr old son and I can't quit. I know little old for a pre-schooler, but that is how God intended it for me and he is my life. I don't know what I would do if it weren't for him. I retired from the NG 12/1 but as you all know, no benfits till age 60. My family doctor says my anxiety & panic disorder is due to the chronic pain. The C&P examiner said the anxiety disorder is more likely than not related to the chronic pain from my sc injury. I am not looking for a free ride, I am trying to take the best care I can of my son. This has been a very bad start, but thanks to you guys. The only other info I know to give is the DSM on my report:

ax I - 1. anxiety disorder NOS with some intrusive generalized anxiety disorder

2. panic disorder

ax II - none

ax III - per medical

ax IV- chronic pain

ax V - GAF 55

DeeDee, I have anxiety and panic attacks too and they ain't no fun! There are times when I am agorophobic (can't leave the house) ... So, I totally understand trying to SC the condition. If two doctors have suggested SC your anxiety - secondary to chronic pain then you should be! I don't see where the C&P Examiner evaluated your Depresion, did you claim your depression too??? No doubt, some days are worse than others. I would suggest keeping a journal at home, and log in your symptoms. Whenever you discuss your condition with the VA, use your journal to describe your overall current funtioning - and not just your GAF for the single day you were examined. Hang in there and do what YOU think is best. Take care of yourself and your son. When you get to 30%, you will be eligible for voc rehab! P.S. GAF link below. ~Wings

GAF Rating Form http://www.avapl.org/gaf/GAFSheet.html#Global

• HadIt.com Elder

Jim S

Did I miss something here?

I have no idea what your second point is all about, as I have seen no thread here that is criticizing the original question????

• HadIt.com Elder
Jim S

Did I miss something here?

I have no idea what your second point is all about, as I have seen no thread here that is criticizing the original question????

Wally, The negative post was deleted. ~Wings