VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I Got A Gaf Of 38. Is That Good?

Rate this question

Ruben

Question

I just finally got my decicion on my increase for ptsd and was approved it went from 30% to 70% and schedule from 50% to 80% and I got an GAF of 38,,,first of all what is the GAF and is this a good score?

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

91-100 Superior functioning in a wide range of activities, life's problems never seem to get out of hand, is sought out by others because of his or her many qualities. No symptoms.

81-90 Absent or minimal symptoms, good functioning in all areas, interested and involved in a wide range of activities, socially effective, generally satisfied with life, no more than everyday problems or concerns.

71-80 If symptoms are present they are transient and expectable reactions to psychosocial stresses; no more than slight impairment in social, occupational, or school functioning.

61-70 Some mild symptoms OR some difficulty in social, occupational, or school functioning, but generally functioning pretty well, has some meaningful interpersonal relationships.

51-60 Moderate symptoms OR any moderate difficulty in social, occupational, or school functioning.

41-50 Serious symptoms OR any serious impairment in social, occupational, or school functioning.

31-40 Some impairment in reality testing or communication OR major impairment in several areas, such as work or school, family relations, judgment, thinking, or mood.

21-30 Behavior is considerably influenced by delusions or hallucinations OR serious impairment in communications or judgment OR inability to function in all areas.

11-20 Some danger of hurting self or others OR occasionally fails to maintain minimal personal hygiene OR gross impairment in communication.

1-10 Persistent danger of severely hurting self or others OR persistent inability to maintain minimum personal hygiene OR serious suicidal act with clear expectation of death.

0 Not enough information available to provide GAF.

Pete53:

I have been working with voc rehab and they are sending me to school next year so I believe the schooling alone will disqualify for SSD, now, would it disqualify me for TDIU?

GuaymasJim:

Ok, I found a 21-8940 online and I'm almost done completing it and I'm wondering if there is anything I need to know in regard to how to fill this document? specially since my major disability is PTSD and the times that I worked I really didn't miss any days because of it, what should I input where it ask how many days I missed?

Ruben,

First, a GAF 38 as defined by the scale provided by yoggie could not be considered "good" for any reason.

The expressed reason for voc rehab is to overcome your disability to a point where your condition would be described as GAF 70-100.

You can receive TDUI and SSDI compensation while you are in voc rehab. I did. Without financial support, voc rehab would be a great waste of time and resources.

Take pete's advice, and good luck with your efforts.