Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

I Won & Lost On .... A & A ?

Rate this topic

Magoo_Mr.

• HadIt.com Elder

It has been a while since I have been here, but some of you "old timers" will remember me.

I won my A&A SMC claim with the VA ... HOWEVER ... because they gave me A&A ... the VA has already started proceedings to possibly consider me "INCOMPETENT". ..... YIKES .....

This is the weirdest thing that I have ever seen.

For those of you who do not know me ... I will share the following.

100% P&T, PTSD (combat in RVN)

40% Back Injury (compression fractures) (combat in RVN)

10% Other (combat in RVN)

All Above Ratings are Schedular.

I do have a GIANT ANXIETY problem (PTSD based anxiety) in dealing with any governmental institution (ie. DVA & SSA)and the VA has labeled that as possibly being ... "INCOMPETENTCY".

I have looked everywhere for the exact ... "VA Defination of Incompetency" ... and cannot find it anywhere. I have found court cases ... but no ... "EXACT DEFINATION of INCOMPETENCY AS DEFINED BY DVA".

I have helped many veterans with their claims and have never run into this "INCOMPETENCY" issue before.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue or know the DVAs defination of incompetency ?????

Magoo aka Bill

PS ... They hinted that I could not get A&A without being incompetent .... this cannot be true ??

Edited by Magoo_Mr.

<b>... Magoo ... </b>

<b>... At this very moment ... many in the U.S. Military are in ... "HARM'S WAY" ... please, let us NOT forget them ...</b>

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi Magoo ;-) Good to see you here ;-)

Did the VA schedule a new C&P Exam for the proposed incompetency? Seems to me, the VA has been playing that card a lot these past couple of years. I don't have any hard core, cut and dry answers today, but I would think an IME from your treating shrink type person would be in your best interest. If your A&A award rested upon your mental disorder, did the evidence of record suggest a cognative impairment? Do you have a history of not being able to manage your financial or legal affairs? What's your GAF Score been of late? Hope others will contribute more, we have your back.

~Wings

USAF 1980-1986, 70% SC PTSD, 100% TDIU (P&T)

Hi Magoo,

Great to see you post and also the grant of A&A is wonderful.

This is some good info I borrowed from elsewhere, hope it's helpful.

"If there is no court determined incompetency, VA must make a formal finding of incompetency before any action can be taken to appoint a fiduciary. VA cannot do this until it has been determined that the person is actually entitled to monetary benefits. After benefit entitlement has been found to exist, VA must "propose" incompetency. In other words, they must write a letter to the person deemed to be incompetent and notify him/her of this proposed action. This is the part that VA doesn't have to do in the case of a prior court finding of incompetency since due process would have already been given by the court. Otherwise, the law requires that VA undertake this step.After complying with this due process VA can then make a formal finding of incompetency, after which they can go about the business of appointing a fiduciary. While this may seem like something that should be relatively simple to you, it isn't. The laws and regulations are very strict in matters such as this, and violations of due process are considered to be very serious. "

ALSO:

§ 3.353 Determinations of incompetency and competency.

(a) Definition of mental incompetency. A mentally incompetent person is one who because of injury or disease lacks the mental capacity to contract or to manage his or her own affairs, including disbursement of funds without limitation.

(b) Authority.

(1) Rating agencies have sole authority to make official determinations of competency and incompetency for purposes of: insurance (38 U.S.C. 1922), and, subject to §13.56 of this chapter, disbursement of benefits. Such determinations are final and binding on field stations for these purposes.

(2) Where the beneficiary is rated incompetent, the Veterans Service Center Manager will develop information as to the beneficiary's social, economic and industrial adjustment; appoint (or recommend appointment of) a fiduciary as provided in §13.55 of this chapter; select a method of disbursing payment as provided in §13.56 of this chapter, or in the case of a married beneficiary, appoint the beneficiary's spouse to receive payments as provided in §13.57 of this chapter; and authorize disbursement of the benefit.

(3) If in the course of fulfilling the responsibilities assigned in paragraph (b)(2) the Veterans Service Center Manager develops evidence indicating that the beneficiary may be capable of administering the funds payable without limitation, he or she will refer that evidence to the rating agency with a statement as to his or her findings. The rating agency will consider this evidence, together with all other evidence of record, to determine whether its prior determination of incompetency should remain in effect. Reexamination may be requested as provided in §3.327(a) if necessary to properly evaluate the beneficiary's mental capacity to contract or manage his or her own affairs.

© Medical opinion. Unless the medical evidence is clear, convincing and leaves no doubt as to the person's incompetency, the rating agency will make no determination of incompetency without a definite expression regarding the question by the responsible medical authorities. Considerations of medical opinions will be in accordance with the principles in paragraph (a) of this section. Determinations relative to incompetency should be based upon all evidence of record and there should be a consistent relationship between the percentage of disability, facts relating to commitment or hospitalization and the holding of incompetency.

(d) Presumption in favor of competency. Where reasonable doubt arises regarding a beneficiary's mental capacity to contract or to manage his or her own affairs, including the disbursement of funds without limitation, such doubt will be resolved in favor of competency (see §3.102 on reasonable doubt).

(e) Due process. Whenever it is proposed to make an incompetency determination, the beneficiary will be notified of the proposed action and of the right to a hearing as provided in §3.103. Such notice is not necessary if the beneficiary has been declared incompetent by a court of competent jurisdiction or if a guardian has been appointed for the beneficiary based upon a court finding of incompetency. If a hearing is requested it must be held prior to a rating decision of incompetency. Failure or refusal of the beneficiary after proper notice to request or cooperate in such a hearing will not preclude a rating decision based on the evidence of record.

(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 501(a))

[36 FR 19020, Sept. 25, 1971, and 40 FR 1241, Jan. 7, 1975, as amended at 42 FR 2069, Jan. 10, 1977; 58 FR 37856, July 14, 1993; 60 FR 55792, Nov. 3, 1995; 66 FR 48560, Sept. 21, 2001; 67 FR 46868, July 17, 2002; 68 FR 34542, June 10, 2003]

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

Bill- Welcome back here and Congrats!!!!

You can fight any proposed incompetency idea on VA's part-

Do you have any private doctor (shrink) who can give you a statement that you are competent?

Do you have a personal lawyer who has had dealings with you and might be able to do this?

Do you have a budget and keep all of the proof that you pay your bills-taxes and utilities on time?

Do you have any money in savings or investments?

Do you get SSA for disability and has SSA considered you competent enough not to make you get a SSA payee?

I dont know exactly what they letter said -did it give you right to a hearing? Would it be feasible for you to travel to a hearing or even an informal conference?

Is this a DRO proposal?

Incompetency for VA purposes is a protection for any vetr who really needs a payee to handle their funds.

I dont see how anyone who travels the long road of VA Bull crap, legalise, and the claims process can really be incompetent-in most cases-

but if we dont have PTSD when we start out the VA might give it to us.

Apparently they owe you quite a bit of retro- and this incompetency stuff will hold up release of that.

"I do have a GIANT ANXIETY problem (PTSD based anxiety) in dealing with any governmental institution (ie. DVA & SSA)and the VA has labeled that as possibly being ... "INCOMPETENTCY""

Where are Our rights to declare VA federal GS 12-18 employees as incompetent!

The backlog of remands reflects that many of them simply cannot even read.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

x

x

x

I'm going to e-mail this post back to Magoo. He may have lost his post, and didn't know where to find it. Hadit forums are a very busy place! ~Wings

USAF 1980-1986, 70% SC PTSD, 100% TDIU (P&T)

• In Memoriam

Good to see you Magoo. Congrats on A&A. Seems that my C&P said I was competent to pay bills. Could this statement be in you original C&P?

Stretch

Just readin the mail

Excerpt from the 'Declaration of Independence'

We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which, would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity

• Tell a friend

Love HadIt.com’s VA Disability Community Vets helping Vets since 1997? Tell a friend!
  • Recent Achievements

• Lebro earned a badge
      First Post
    • stuart55 earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • stuart55 earned a badge
      One Month Later
    • Lebro earned a badge
      Conversation Starter
    • Sparklinger earned a badge
      First Post
  • Our picks

• Caluza Triangle defines what is necessary for service connection
      Caluza Triangle – Caluza vs Brown defined what is necessary for service connection. See COVA– CALUZA V. BROWN–TOTAL RECALL

This has to be MEDICALLY Documented in your records:

Current Diagnosis.   (No diagnosis, no Service Connection.)

In-Service Event or Aggravation.
      Nexus (link- cause and effect- connection) or Doctor’s Statement close to: “The Veteran’s (current diagnosis) is at least as likely due to x Event in military service”
      • 0 replies
    • Do the sct codes help or hurt my disability rating 
    • VA has gotten away with (mis) interpreting their  ambigious, , vague regulations, then enforcing them willy nilly never in Veterans favor.  

They justify all this to congress by calling themselves a "pro claimant Veteran friendly organization" who grants the benefit of the doubt to Veterans.  

This is not true, 

Proof:  

About 80-90 percent of Veterans are initially denied by VA, pushing us into a massive backlog of appeals, or worse, sending impoverished Veterans "to the homeless streets" because  when they cant work, they can not keep their home.  I was one of those Veterans who they denied for a bogus reason:  "Its been too long since military service".  This is bogus because its not one of the criteria for service connection, but simply made up by VA.  And, I was a homeless Vet, albeit a short time,  mostly due to the kindness of strangers and friends. 

Hadit would not be necessary if, indeed, VA gave Veterans the benefit of the doubt, and processed our claims efficiently and paid us promptly.  The VA is broken. 

A huge percentage (nearly 100 percent) of Veterans who do get 100 percent, do so only after lengthy appeals.  I have answered questions for thousands of Veterans, and can only name ONE person who got their benefits correct on the first Regional Office decision.  All of the rest of us pretty much had lengthy frustrating appeals, mostly having to appeal multiple multiple times like I did. 

I wish I know how VA gets away with lying to congress about how "VA is a claimant friendly system, where the Veteran is given the benefit of the doubt".   Then how come so many Veterans are homeless, and how come 22 Veterans take their life each day?  Va likes to blame the Veterans, not their system.   
    • Welcome to hadit!  

There are certain rules about community care reimbursement, and I have no idea if you met them or not.  Try reading this:

https://www.va.gov/resources/getting-emergency-care-at-non-va-facilities/

However, (and I have no idea of knowing whether or not you would likely succeed) Im unsure of why you seem to be so adamant against getting an increase in disability compensation.  

When I buy stuff, say at Kroger, or pay bills, I have never had anyone say, "Wait!  Is this money from disability compensation, or did you earn it working at a regular job?"  Not once.  Thus, if you did get an increase, likely you would have no trouble paying this with the increase compensation.  

However, there are many false rumors out there that suggest if you apply for an increase, the VA will reduce your benefits instead.  

That rumor is false but I do hear people tell Veterans that a lot.  There are strict rules VA has to reduce you and, NOT ONE of those rules have anything to do with applying for an increase.  

Yes, the VA can reduce your benefits, but generally only when your condition has "actually improved" under ordinary conditions of life.  

Unless you contacted the VA within 72 hours of your medical treatment, you may not be eligible for reimbursement, or at least that is how I read the link, I posted above. Here are SOME of the rules the VA must comply with in order to reduce your compensation benefits:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/3.344

• Good question.   

Maybe I can clear it up.  

The spouse is eligible for DIC if you die of a SC condition OR any condition if you are P and T for 10 years or more.  (my paraphrase).  

More here:

Source:

https://www.va.gov/disability/dependency-indemnity-compensation/

NOTE:   TO PROVE CAUSE OF DEATH WILL LIKELY REQUIRE AN AUTOPSY.  This means if you die of a SC condtion, your spouse would need to do an autopsy to prove cause of death to be from a SC condtiond.    If you were P and T for 10 full years, then the cause of death may not matter so much. 

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use