VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

21-526

Rate this question

DblTap1

Question

Hello again,

I have been working on my 21-526 for a few weeks now. I feel like I have ADHD! I have about 13 different issues that are going on my 21-526. Many of them I have been seen by multiple doctors and treatment dates are unclear as I am still seeing some of them.

Example: I have a hip problems that I go through my PCM to a ortho for labral surgery and pain management doctor because it is deeper than the ortho doc wants to operate(psoas/illiopsoas and pyriformis syndrome). How should it be listed?

Another example: I have been seen by VA for plantar faciitis, again in Iraq during deployment, again on demob at Ft. Lewis, and again by my PCM, and finally by a podiatrist. The podiatrist finally "officially" Dx'd me with Posterior Tibial Tendinitis, bilateral (Adult Acquired Flat Feet).

Do I list all of them?

Just for detail... VA said nothing about flat feet in '96, MTF in BFE or BFI B) '03 said flat feet, Ft. Lewis '04 said flat feet, PCM '08 said "ummm... I'll refer you", podiatrist '08 says "your dogs are just worn out from over use. Dx- Posterior Tibial Tendinitis, bilateral"

21-526

109th Treatment Information

Disability name Posterior Tibial Tendinitis, bilateral

Date disability occurred 09/2003

Treatment beginning date 09/2008

Treatment ending date

Name of doctor Dr. Neuman

Name of hospital

Address of Doctor/Hospital 123 Main St., Yourtown, USA

Thanks for reading!

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

21-526 Veteran's Application for Compensation and/or Pension is what I was given in hard copy and directed to on VONAPP. Could you tell me what form I need?

Dbl,

The form 21-526 is to be considered by VA as both a form for Compensation and Pension.

VA mainly accepts form 21-526 as an application for COMPENSATION and many times don't even consider it as a application for Pension as they are supposed to.

From reading your post in this thread I feel you indeed are applying for Compensation.

The 21-526 form is the first (ever ) claim filed by a veteran seeking benefits for service

connection of disabilities, so I hope this is in fact the first time you have filed a claim.

On form 21-526 you want to list separetly each and every disability, injury and/or illness you feel that you have medical evidence to support a claim for to include secondary conditions.

Example:

Diagnosis - Concussion - (closed head injury)

Treatment received for:

Seizures: places - dates - tests - medications - (any side effects)

Headaches: places- dates - tests - medications - (any side effects) - traction

Hearing loss - places - dates - tests - (Audiologist)

Tinnitus - reported to Dr. XXXXX (Audiologist)

The point I'm trying to show you above as an example is that the Concussion

can result in several residual disabilities, as such - each has to be documented and

claimed separetly - each will also need a nexus to military service by a medical professional.

Also the nexus for some specific disabilities must be opinioned by specific medical professionals

such as, Hearing loss must be supported by an Audiologist.

Hope this helps a vet.

carlie

• In Memoriam

Both forms, 21-526 and 21-527 are in our pension forum. The 21-527 is much shorter, and I have been told that it, 21-527, was for veteran that has already filed for Service Connected Disability.

21-526 is here:

http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?act=...post&id=725

21-527 is here:

http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20177

It is worth reading the two forms, as they explain about the different situations on the first page of each.

Use VA Form 21-527 to apply for disability pension if you have previously filed a claim for compensation and/or pension. If you have not filed a claim for compensation or pension previously, you must use VA Form 21-526, Veteran's Application for Compensation and/or Pension.

Sorry, that I don't know about your conditions. Which ever are service related or secondary service related need to be filed for if you have not done so already. A Veterans Service Officer could help you if you have not tried one. Most of us here have had difficulties with VSO's though. If you need help finding a VSO, just ask.

Edited by Stretch

It's all good! Thank you all for the insight. I will go to the local VA office (cubicle) tomorrow and get my five DD214s certified. I have Dx's for:

Posterior Tibial Tendinitis, bilateral (Adult Acquired Flat Feet) - Local DPM

Planter Faciitis -VA

Illiopsoas tendinitis - Loma Linda Med Ctr Ortho

Pyriformis Syndrome - Loma Linda Med Ctr Ortho

Hip Labral tear - Loma Linda Med Ctr Ortho

Muscle and nerve damage to thigh - PCM

Hypertension >160/100 >3x per week - VA & PCM

Biceps tear - Local MTF & ortho

Elbow tendinitis - Local MTF & ortho

Allergic Rhinitis - VA & PCM

Sinusitis - VA & PCM

DDD - Loma Linda Med Ctr Ortho

Wrist fracture, Plate in, Plate out, Arthroscopic reformation of carpal bones/tendons, neurectomy - Loma Linda Ortho

And about four others that I am still working on clear Dx's for.

Any guestimates on what %?

As Carlie occasionally says, here's my two-cents worth.

Before I filed my VA Claim for Compensation, I was told by many vets that I should list every malady I had and "make" the VA approve or deny each one. That was the worst advice I ever had.

I am not speaking of your claim specifically, but if a veteran claims things that he/she has absolutely no chance of proving or showing a service-connected nexus, then all that is going to do is delay the decision on your claim.

For example, I included tinnitus on my claim. I do have it, but I worked in an office most of my time in the Army and was not around loud noises except for my first sergeant. More importantly, nothing about tinnitus was in my service medical records nor my medical records from the first 12 months after discharge. Claiming this was a waste of time and a delay in getting my claim out of the development area at the VARO.

Anyway...good luck on your claims.

Ron