VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

21-526

Rate this question

DblTap1

Question

Hello again,

I have been working on my 21-526 for a few weeks now. I feel like I have ADHD! I have about 13 different issues that are going on my 21-526. Many of them I have been seen by multiple doctors and treatment dates are unclear as I am still seeing some of them.

Example: I have a hip problems that I go through my PCM to a ortho for labral surgery and pain management doctor because it is deeper than the ortho doc wants to operate(psoas/illiopsoas and pyriformis syndrome). How should it be listed?

Another example: I have been seen by VA for plantar faciitis, again in Iraq during deployment, again on demob at Ft. Lewis, and again by my PCM, and finally by a podiatrist. The podiatrist finally "officially" Dx'd me with Posterior Tibial Tendinitis, bilateral (Adult Acquired Flat Feet).

Do I list all of them?

Just for detail... VA said nothing about flat feet in '96, MTF in BFE or BFI B) '03 said flat feet, Ft. Lewis '04 said flat feet, PCM '08 said "ummm... I'll refer you", podiatrist '08 says "your dogs are just worn out from over use. Dx- Posterior Tibial Tendinitis, bilateral"

21-526

109th Treatment Information

Disability name Posterior Tibial Tendinitis, bilateral

Date disability occurred 09/2003

Treatment beginning date 09/2008

Treatment ending date

Name of doctor Dr. Neuman

Name of hospital

Address of Doctor/Hospital 123 Main St., Yourtown, USA

Thanks for reading!

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

If you are filing a formal claim for COMPENSATION AN PENSION,you should use form 21-526,The first part of 21-526 is for COMPENSATION,which is about 19 pages but you only have about 9 pages to fillout,the second part is for PENSION,you have about 8 or 9 pages to fillout.FORM 21-527 is a INCOME NET WORTH and EMPLOYMENT STATEMENT.

On your 21-526 you put the disabilities that you thank is service connected and remember that this is a formal claim, later on you are going have to submit more evidence,that the disabilities you are applying for happen when you was in service or aggravated by service.

mobie

Edited by mobie16r

Thank you all for the informative responses. I am happy to hear of this in advance before filiing. Is dealing with a misinformed rep something that a vet should just get used to? I have heard that having a rep is the best way to go however, if a vet has to second guess and double check everything...

When I give this 526 back to the rep with Dx's listed instead of general listings should I expect a problem in our relationship from that point forward?

• HadIt.com Elder

I would keep a power of attorney active, but I wouldn't file anything through a rep. I have heard too many horror stories about reps never submitting claims and other documentation. You have more than enough time to learn the VA's system. If I were you, when the time cae to submit this form, I would do it myself. All you have to do is address it to the VARO that you will be using, and send it in via registered mail, return receipt requested. It will make your claim go by even faster if you send a copy of your SMR's and any other medical records that you have in with it.

Thanks RentalGuy.

How do you feel about using the VOAPP system to submit?

Also, I have a bankers box full of med records. Should I submit only the documents that contain the Dx's and wait for the appt to bring in the rest?

• HadIt.com Elder

I have never used the VOAPP system. I pay all my bills online, and I will send IRIS inquiries to the VARO, but I am too leery of sending a claim via the internet. Whenever you deal with anything claim related, you always want a paper trail. The registered mail, return receipt requested method gives you a time and date that it was received at the VARO. It is supposed to get you a actual signature, too. I have never gotten a signature, though. It's always just a stamp, but it still proves that it was received. The hands down best method of delivery is to hand carry your documents to the VARO along with a copy of everything and get each page date-stamped while there. Several members here have done this. If you live 100 miles away, however, I could understand not wanting to do this. I live about 250 miles away from my VARO, so I use either UPS, or USPS, depending on the size of the document that I am sending in.

For your medical records, only send in those that pertain to your claims. If you send in records where you went for a head cold it will only confuse them :o . They will send you a VCAA "Duty to Assist" letter after you have filed your claim. If you have sent them all of your documentation, then check the box that says you have no more information to send, and please decide my claim as soon as possible. This will also speed things up a little bit. You will be surprised how fast it is going to move for you when you retire. Don't get used to this, though. It only works that way for the guys-n-gals who are getting out of the military. If you file for a increase five years later, you'll be playing the waiting game with the rest of us. That is unless the president elect and the new congress are able to do things that have rarely ever been done in the past.

I would really like to file soon. I know I will be sent to the MEB within the next few months. I keep reading about vets who are still active but have a VA rating, but others are saying I have to wait until I am out. I am not after the money, just the piece of mind knowing it's settled.

It seems that it would be safer to go to the MEB with a solid VA rating.