VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

A Couple Of Questions For The Experts

Rate this question

ZenArcher

Question

First a question concerning the process for presumptive conditions. Is the following sequence correct after the application is received:

1. Verify diagnosis and eligibility
  2. C&P to determine level of disability (i.e. percentage)
  3. To Rater
  4. Notification of decision
The reason I ask is that vets with ALS are being told that it is going to take 6 to 12 months before they are service connected even though ALS has been added as presumptive.

Secondly, is there any type of expedited process in place for terminal conditions? Social Security has certain criteria which will flag an application for expedited process. The average lifespan for ALS is 18 months to 5 years following diagnosis, waiting a year for the VA might be too long for many.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

You are absolutely right that ALS is terminal and these vets should get expeditious treatment-the problem with that is there are thousands and thousands of remands -all set for expeditiopus treatment too-

Unfortunately -even with the evidence at hand- these vets ARE getting expeditious treatment if there claims go as fast as 6 to 12 months.

Perehaps a medical statement of the vet's critical situation would get them a faster award-

or even a Congressman or womans intervention-

But the reality is plenty of vets die during the claims process-and they too should have had expeditious treatment.

As you know the VA in Detroit and NY has been found to have mishandled claims-claims and evidence were in a shredder bin-in Detroit VARO- of course no one knows what claims actually were shredded-

Who gave you the 6 -12 month estimate?

Many here heard in H VAC hearing of how the claims process is about 6 months beginning to end- from the VA clowns at the hearings-

Say what?

I protested this with letters to the committee- this is NOT true-

unless you count the fast denials right from the git go-

where the vets VCAA rights were violated or- as with the 2005 IOG report- their claims went to employees whio didnt have the time to even read the claim and evidence- so they denied it-

in those cases the claim took 6 months or less from beginning to end-

VA has manipulated their stats on suicides, malpractice cases, and on the actual time line of the claims procedure-

just as they have juggled the books every time they deliberately make a retro error and hope the vet doesnt find out.

ALS claims have to be filed Immediately and with a medical statement of terminal illness they SHOULD be handled fast-

but I dont know who can guarantee that will happen.

• HadIt.com Elder

ZenArcher,

I would contact my senator and explain the situation, One telephone call from his office, in my case, got the R.O off their behind and schedule a C&P and pay me my money, all in less than 3 month, from beginning to end. The C&P was scheduled two weeks after his office staff placed the telephone call.

Always,

Betty

Berta - Several people have been told 6 - 12 months myself included from both the VA and PVA.

Josephine - I initially opened my claim in May 07. Since then there have been inquiries on my case by 2 senators, 4 congressmen, the staff of the VA subcommittee of Disability Assistance and Memorial Affairs and the White House to no avail.

I would like to get things rolling so I can get my house modified but my biggest concern was for those who are cursed with fast progression. I have met people who were diagnosed after me who are no longer with us. My fear is that in the years to come more of our returning vets will be diagnosed. I understand how the VA has "calculated" their 6 month response time and I also made sure that the subcommittee was well aware of my experience to the contrary when I testified before them in June. I suppose the next fight then is to fix what they term as expedited application for presumptive and terminally ill patients.