VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

30% Sc And Ssi

Rate this question

gp747

Question

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

you probably mean you are getting social security disability not SSI since that is Supplemental Security Income (welfare) if you were getting VA pension and SSD and now you are 30% SC it will not affect your SSD payments either

i was on ssi disability because of mental disability . and i was getting pension because i was on ssi. so now i am service connected ,not getting pension but still on ssi. i am asking if sercice connected disability counts against ssi as far as reducing payments like pension did . when i was on pension my ssi payments went down .

• HadIt.com Elder

I WAS ON PENSION AND SSI , NOW AM ON 30% SC DISABILITY AND SSI

DOES SC DISABILITY COUNT AGAINST SSI AS FAR AS DEDUCTING FOR

INCOME HOW DOES THIS WORK?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hello Skunk,

SSI is a federal needs bases program like VA Pension. Since you can only draw one needs program at a time, they deduct dollar for dollar.

So yes, they will deduct your SSI payment the amount you recieve from your 30% award.

The VA SC 30% is an earned benefit like SSDI. You can draw both at the same time without a deduction on your monthly awards.

There are no taxes on VA 30% SC benefits.

Hope this clears it up for you.

Allan

Edited by allan

WHAT I MEAN IS WILL MY SSI PAYMENTS GO UP OR DOWN ACCORDING TO HOW MUCH

SC DISABILITY I DRAW. WILL MY SSI PAYMENTS BE AFFECTED BY MY SERVICE CONNECTED 30% RATING . WHEN I WAS ON PENSION THEY REDUCED SSI BY AMOUNT OF PENSION I AWS GETTING , REALLY MAKING IT ALMOST THE SAME AS IF I WAS JUST ON SSI. SO I REALLY DIDNT GAIN BY BEING ON PENSION. I AM ASKING IF SC CONDITION IS EXEMPT FROM COUNTING AGAINST MY SSI AS INCOME OR HOW DOES IT WORK? TOTALLY CONFUSED

• HadIt.com Elder

I AM ASKING IF SC CONDITION IS EXEMPT FROM COUNTING AGAINST MY SSI AS INCOME OR HOW DOES IT WORK? TOTALLY CONFUSED

NO! Your SC is not exempt from counting against your SSI and they will take away every dollar you get on your 30% award, from your SSI monthly check.

Been there done that with my 30% SC & SSI.

OK ANOTHER STUPID QUESTION ON MY PART. WILL VA NOTIFY SSI OF SERVICE CONNECTED CHANGE OR WILL THEY DRAG ASS AND CAUSE OVERPAYMENT BY SSI.

I KNOW PENSION NOTIIED THEM EVERY TIME THERE WAS A CHANGE.