VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Do I Need Conformation By Neurologist?

Rate this question

Rockhound

Question

Below is a couple of excerps from the Summery & Recommendations of a Neuropsychiatric test I took and wonder if I need conformation from a Neurologist that their is brain damage consistant with these test results? That is, his findings are consistant with the test results and that the TBI I sustained while in the service is more likely than not or as likely as not the cause for my current problems listed in the stated excerps

1. "Mr. XXXX 's attention and memory abilities are basically intact. Test scores show significant executive dysfunction.

2. "Given the course of history, it is possible that the deficits found represent the sequaelae of the brain injury he sustained during the military service. Changes in mood and personality functioning may represent an Organic Personality Disorder stemming from the brain injury. Military records show that his performance prior to the injury was satisfactory.

Also, would I need I a, "as likely as not" or better statement from this neurologist, that the Personality disorder, inadequate type, that was used to deny my original claim for a psychiatric disorder were one and the same and had no relationship to the psychiatric disorder, since it developt from the TBI as a organic personality disorder, and not as the VA Examiner opinioned it to be nor how the VA Rater later used it as his basis to deny my original claim?

I'm just trying to get input so I can reopen my claim so that I can, first get my TBI SC and then possibly later, get my psychological problems from service also SC.

Rockhound Rider :P

p.s. sorry for the spelling errors. LoL :P

Edited by Rockhound

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Below are excerpts from the Summary & Recommendations of a Neuropsychiatric test. I wonder if I need conformation from a Neurologist that there is brain damage consistant with these test results? That is, his findings are consistant with the test results, and that the TBI I sustained while in the service is more likely than not or as likely as not the cause for my current problems listed in the stated excerpts . . .

PART I

1. "Mr. XXXX 's attention and memory abilities are basically intact. Test scores show significant executive dysfunction. Defined as cognative deficits.

2. "Given the course of history, it is possible that the deficits found represent the sequaelae of the brain injury he sustained during the military service. Changes in mood and personality functioning may represent an Organic Personality Disorder stemming from the brain injury. Military records show that his performance prior to the injury was satisfactory.

PART II

As likely as not, Organic Personality Disorder (cite DSM diagnosis) developed as a consequence of in-service traumatic brain injury, and does not represent Personality Disorder as defined by CFR ____.

Comments:

PART I. On it's face, the Summary is good evidence in support of claim. The weight of evidence would increase with an "as likely as not" standard, for VA purposes.

PART II. I re-wrote for conciseness. A statement similar to this effect by a Neurologist would probably seal the deal. ~Wings

• HadIt.com Elder

x

x

x

Axis I and II Psychiatric Disorders After Traumatic Brain Injury: A 30-Year Follow-Up Study http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/conten...ract/159/8/1315

This article has been cited by other articles:

S. Paradiso, J. Vaidya, D. Tranel, T. Kosier, and R. G. Robinson

Nondysphoric Depression Following Stroke

J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci, February 1, 2008; 20(1): 52 - 61.

[Abstract] [Full Text] [PDF]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

J.-K. Chen, K. M. Johnston, M. Petrides, and A. Ptito

Neural Substrates of Symptoms of Depression Following Concussion in Male Athletes With Persisting Postconcussion Symptoms

Arch Gen Psychiatry, January 1, 2008; 65(1): 81 - 89.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

E. Kim, E. C. Lauterbach, A. Reeve, D. B. Arciniegas, K. L. Coburn, M. F. Mendez, T. A. Rummans, and E. C. Coffey

Neuropsychiatric Complications of Traumatic Brain Injury: A Critical Review of the Literature (A Report by the ANPA Committee on Research)

J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci, May 1, 2007; 19(2): 106 - 127.

A. C. Ruocco and T. Swirsky-Sacchetti

Personality Disorder Symptomatology and Neuropsychological Functioning in Closed Head Injury

J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci, February 1, 2007; 19(1): 27 - 35.

H. Isoniemi, T. Kurki, O. Tenovuo, V. Kairisto, and R. Portin

Hippocampal volume, brain atrophy, and APOE genotype after traumatic brain injury.

Neurology, September 12, 2006; 67(5): 756 - 760.

H M Tiesman, C Peek-Asa, P Whitten, N L Sprince, A Stromquist, and C Zwerling

Depressive symptoms as a risk factor for unintentional injury: a cohort study in a rural county.

Inj. Prev., June 1, 2006; 12(3): 172 - 177.

A.-L. Siren, K. Radyushkin, S. Boretius, D. Kammer, C.-C. Riechers, O. Natt, D. Sargin, T. Watanabe, S. Sperling, T. Michaelis, et al.

Global brain atrophy after unilateral parietal lesion and its prevention by erythropoietin

Brain, February 1, 2006; 129(2): 480 - 489.

J. S. Paulsen, C. Nehl, K. F. Hoth, J. E. Kanz, M. Benjamin, R. Conybeare, B. McDowell, and B. Turner

Depression and Stages of Huntington's Disease

J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci, November 1, 2005; 17(4): 496 - 502.

S. Koponen, T. Taiminen, K. Honkalampi, M. Joukamaa, H. Viinamaki, T. Kurki, R. Portin, L. Himanen, H. Isoniemi, S. Hinkka, et al.

Alexithymia After Traumatic Brain Injury: Its Relation to Magnetic Resonance Imaging Findings and Psychiatric Disorders

Psychosom Med, September 1, 2005; 67(5): 807 - 812.

H. S. Levin, S. R. McCauley, C. P. Josic, C. Boake, S. A. Brown, H. S. Goodman, S. G. Merritt, and S. I. Brundage

Predicting Depression Following Mild Traumatic Brain Injury

Arch Gen Psychiatry, May 1, 2005; 62(5): 523 - 528.

S. Koponen, T. Taiminen, V. Kairisto, R. Portin, H. Isoniemi, S. Hinkka, and O. Tenovuo

APOE-{epsilon}4 predicts dementia but not other psychiatric disorders after traumatic brain injury

Neurology, August 24, 2004; 63(4): 749 - 750.

R. E. Jorge, R. G. Robinson, D. Moser, A. Tateno, B. Crespo-Facorro, and S. Arndt

Major Depression Following Traumatic Brain Injury

Arch Gen Psychiatry, January 1, 2004; 61(1): 42 - 50.

J. R. Fann, B. Burington, A. Leonetti, K. Jaffe, W. J. Katon, and R. S. Thompson

Psychiatric Illness Following Traumatic Brain Injury in an Adult Health Maintenance Organization Population

Arch Gen Psychiatry, January 1, 2004; 61(1): 53 - 61.

S. Deb

Almost half of people suffering traumatic brain injury may later be diagnosed with axis I disorders

Evid. Based Ment. Health, May 1, 2003; 6(2): 59 - 59.

[Full Text] [PDF]

Wings: I could just kiss you for this find, but since I can't, I'll just have to say thank you very much. I think and feel if I presented this study to a neurologist, it might be the supporting information he would need to confirm the organic brain sysdrome Dx for depression and personality disorder and maybe even a basis for my adjustment disorder as well, although the study doesn't list or quantify it. But at least this is a big step in the right direction, each of the points in my neurological test results are covered in this study which would give definite support to any opinion by a neurologist and the neuropsychiatric test results.

Thank you once again.

Rockhound Rider :P :P B)

• HadIt.com Elder

Rockhound, You did all the work! Sometimes one can over-analyze (like me)! You might consider "volunteering" as "research subject" to neuropsyche residents, in exchange for an Independent Medical Opinion. For example, University of Nevada School of Medicine http://www.medicine.nevada.edu/residency/reno/psychiatry/

Edited by Wings