VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% Total Why Not Permanent?

Rate this question

Alb

Question

***Just found out that the appeals board rated my claim at 100% SC for PTSD/MST :P *** Found out through my VSO, nothing in writing yet, coming throuh mail soon. All though the board did call me a few days after I spoke with my VSO and asked for some information I did not put on the application 8 years ago, like my kids SSN and husbands info. They did find me incompetent, B) so my husband has to handle my finances. My back pay will be 4 years. :P Sure could use some of the other benifits for a permanent rating. I have two sons going to college now and the chapter 35 would be great. My VSO said it would take another 4-6 months before I see my back pay or any pay until my husband gets his interview. (finances for incompetentcy) The VA is backed logged about 45+ days on appointments and also if I don't appeal anything in the award claim

How does one go about getting permanent rating on 100% total service connection for PTSD. Do you have to wait for the VA to order another C&P and go for the permanent rating or can I appeal the decision and request permanent. If so, what documentation do they need? Should one be just happy that you are rated 100% and let the permanent go? I am just so glad of the 100% rating. How far do you push the VA before they start to mess with you and your claim. Is seems like it is automatic now that the VA has you come back in a couple of years for another C&P before they give you any type of permanent or try to reduce you claim, by stating somehow you are better because you went through treatment, medications and therapy. I only have had PTSD for 20 years now!!! Like it's going to go away-right! You would think the board would read into that. I have been DX. with PTSD for 4 years. Before that they called it anxiety disorder and depression due to military sexual harssment for the other 4 years. Advice please.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Hi, Sorry to hear about your MST PTSD....(same here). It is my understanding (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) that your kiddos will be entitled to Chap 35. That goes along with the 100% rating.

As far as making it "P&T"...wait until you receive your official decision in writing and make sure exactly what it says. In VA-speak, nothing is "permanent" even if you have the P&T attached. You have gotten over the biggest hurdle of them all----100%SC. Congrats on that...sorry that it took so long and that you had to suffer what you did.

Take care,

• HadIt.com Elder

Welcome to Hadit.

You have several issues or questions. To get P&T you have to ask for it or wait till VA gives it to you. The best way is to ask for it and to get a Doctor to give an opinion that you will not be able to work again. Its harder to get than you think. However if you ask the VARO will probably review your records and possibly give it to you. I would wait till you start getting money.

As far as being incompetent you can appeal that just because you have PTSD does not mean you can't manage your money. All you really need to demonstrate is that your checkbook is balanced and you pay your bills on time. If you are happy with your husband handling the money that is ok you can always come back to this issue.

Your husband and children will be able to secure benefits if you are rated P&T.

Good Luck

I HAVE A LETTER FROM ONE OF MY DOCTORS THAT STATES I WILL CONTINUE TO HAVE OCCUPATIONAL IMPAIRMENTS/DISRUPTION UNTIL SHE IS FULLY TREATED. You think this is good enough?

Welcome to Hadit.

You have several issues or questions. To get P&T you have to ask for it or wait till VA gives it to you. The best way is to ask for it and to get a Doctor to give an opinion that you will not be able to work again. Its harder to get than you think. However if you ask the VARO will probably review your records and possibly give it to you. I would wait till you start getting money.

As far as being incompetent you can appeal that just because you have PTSD does not mean you can't manage your money. All you really need to demonstrate is that your checkbook is balanced and you pay your bills on time. If you are happy with your husband handling the money that is ok you can always come back to this issue.

Your husband and children will be able to secure benefits if you are rated P&T.

Good Luck

• HadIt.com Elder

Not enough they need to be quite specific that you are not able to work. Getting a good letter now may save you some wait time.

Also do you have Social Security? That is another way to prove Permanent and Total

I HAVE A LETTER FROM ONE OF MY DOCTORS THAT STATES I WILL CONTINUE TO HAVE OCCUPATIONAL IMPAIRMENTS/DISRUPTION UNTIL SHE IS FULLY TREATED. You think this is good enough?

If the letter states "until she is fully treated" it will not help you. Such wording would give VA the idea that your condition is not Perm cause it will go away once you completed some type of treatment regime.