Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×

Is It Possible To Contact The Rater Of Your Claim

nyc-vet
This thread is over 365 days old and has been closed.

Please post your question as a New Topic by clicking this link and choosing which forum to post in.

For almost everything you are going to want to post in VA Claims Research.

If this is your first time posting. Take a moment and read our Guidelines. It will inform you of what is and isn't acceptable and tips on getting your questions answered. 

Remember, everyone who comes here is a volunteer. At one point, they went to the forums looking for information. They liked it here and decided to stay and help other veterans. They share their personal experience, providing links to the law and reference materials and support because working on your claim can be exhausting and beyond frustrating. 

This thread may still provide value to you and is worth at least skimming through the responses to see if any of them answer your question. Knowledge Is Power, and there is a lot of knowledge in older threads.

spacer.png

Question

I called VA yesterday and they told me my claim for reconsideration and increase has been decided. Surprisingly it is done after only 4 months. I was able to get the guy on the phone to give some info. He told me one of my conditions stayed the same for dermatitis at 10%. According to my physical exam however it covers 35% of my exposed body which i thought warrants 30% rating. When you read my physical exam i was examined for dermatitis and shaving disorder.

Here the way it appears on the physical

1. FOR DERMATITIS, ECZEMA, -1) DIFFUSE WHITE SCALE OF SCALP. ERYTHEMATOUS SCALY PATCHES OF FOREHEAD, POST AURICULAR REGION, CENTRAL CHEST AND UPPER MID BACK. 2) CHIN/JAW WITH MULTIPLE FOLLICULOCENTRIC FIRM PAPULES ENTIRE BODY SURFACE AFFECTED - 8% EXPOSED BODY SURFACE AFFECTED - 35%

I BELIEVE THE EXAMINER MISREAD THIS AND HE CALLED DERMITITIS 8% EXPOSED AREA AND SHAVING DISORDER 35% OF EXPOSED AREA.

AS OF NOW I HAVE 30% FOR SHAVING AND 10% FOR DERMATITIS. DUE TO WHAT I BELIEVE IS A MISTAKE ON HOW THEY READ IT.

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF I CAN CONTACT THE RATER OR SOMEONE BEFORE THEY SIGN OFF ON THIS SAME MISTAKE AGAIN. BECAUSE ACCORDING TO THE GUY I SPOKE WITH THEY MISSED IT AGAIN.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

I called VA yesterday and they told me my claim for reconsideration and increase has been decided. Surprisingly it is done after only 4 months. I was able to get the guy on the phone to give some info. He told me one of my conditions stayed the same for dermatitis at 10%. According to my physical exam however it covers 35% of my exposed body which i thought warrants 30% rating. When you read my physical exam i was examined for dermatitis and shaving disorder.

Here the way it appears on the physical

1. FOR DERMATITIS, ECZEMA, -1) DIFFUSE WHITE SCALE OF SCALP. ERYTHEMATOUS SCALY PATCHES OF FOREHEAD, POST AURICULAR REGION, CENTRAL CHEST AND UPPER MID BACK. 2) CHIN/JAW WITH MULTIPLE FOLLICULOCENTRIC FIRM PAPULES ENTIRE BODY SURFACE AFFECTED - 8% EXPOSED BODY SURFACE AFFECTED - 35%

I BELIEVE THE EXAMINER MISREAD THIS AND HE CALLED DERMITITIS 8% EXPOSED AREA AND SHAVING DISORDER 35% OF EXPOSED AREA.

AS OF NOW I HAVE 30% FOR SHAVING AND 10% FOR DERMATITIS. DUE TO WHAT I BELIEVE IS A MISTAKE ON HOW THEY READ IT.

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF I CAN CONTACT THE RATER OR SOMEONE BEFORE THEY SIGN OFF ON THIS SAME MISTAKE AGAIN. BECAUSE ACCORDING TO THE GUY I SPOKE WITH THEY MISSED IT AGAIN.

It is unheard of to call a rater as the only contact a veteran has with the VA is this insane 1-800 call center who employs people with IQ's of negative 10. On top of that VA employee names are Top Secret and even unknown to God. That is why each and every one of them better hope that when they die they die in groups so they can identify each other as they try to pass thru the pearly gates :P

On a serious note contact can not be established directly with the rater. If that were allowed they would be on the phone all day instead of rating claims. When you get the decision you will have to file a NOD and lay it out for them step by step.

Edited by Ricky

Not possible to contact rater when you recieve the packet you have the right to appeal decision do so and state your reasoning on the appeal. You will still receive the disability you are rated for and the VA Will review your appeal. (well they state they will review and usually do)

• HadIt.com Elder

You might have to get the doctor to clarify the report or get a new report. If they mis read it, they could claim it was not written properly and I guarantee you they will not give you an increase unless the report is written clearly. What appears to be a mistake is not always a mistake, They often do not write the decisions clearly. Even if the rater was confused they could easily go with the lower rating and not tell you about the confusion or ask the doctor to make a clarification.

About ten years ago I walked into the RO in West LA. CA and told a VSO sitting at the desk that the RO denied my claim saying I was not treated for the condition when I was in the service. I told the VSO that I was in-fact treated in the military and that they misread my SMR. I had copies of my SMR with me. He made a phone call and about ten minutes later a person claiming to be rating my claim came down from the upper floors of the federal buliding and talked to me face to face. The person was quite interested and said that they would reconsider the claim.

The claim had been denied and closed. They re-opened the claim based on my coming in and presenting the SMR and my conversation. However, nothing was done. Not even a C&P. I did not receive an SSOC. I guess it was not considered new evidence since it was the SMR.

I won the claim based on a new letter from a VA doctor who read the SMR and wrote an opinion that denying the claim based on the statement that I was not treated in the military was a factual error and that I was in fact treated in the military..

Edited by Hoppy

I figure I will have to wait and appeal like you said. I have another similar situation with alopecia. At first they said when I took my physical it was not evident. Years later when the condition worsen I put in a claim. They recently denied it again saying it was not service connected even though it is throughout my military record and now is present.

Attempting to contact a specific VARO employee is akin to an attempt to gain access to the old Soviet Union KGB which was headquarted at dom dva (House Number Two) on Dzerzhinsky Street in Moscow.

A telling exercise is to google or attempt to find the email or telephone directly linked to the VARO's

VA Customer Service Manager for your region. I suspect you will not find a trail to those contact avenues. Richard Nixon would have been proud of the secrecy of this organization.

Ron

• HadIt.com Elder

Raters keep a very low profile since their lives are probably at risk if vets knew who they were and where they lived. They are scared of us and they should be considering the damage they have done. You get to speak to a DRO face to face if you ask for a hearing.

• veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• Advertisemnt

• question-001.jpegLooking for Answers? Here are tips for finding the answers you seek.

All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. To post, you must register. Registration is free. You can register for a free account here.

You can read the forums without registering.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question.
    2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.
    3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading to:

Post straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    • I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
        • I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed.
    • This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines

<——>