Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×

Retired Marine Died 2 Weeks Ago

kris
This thread is over 365 days old and has been closed.

Please post your question as a New Topic by clicking this link and choosing which forum to post in.

For almost everything you are going to want to post in VA Claims Research.

If this is your first time posting. Take a moment and read our Guidelines. It will inform you of what is and isn't acceptable and tips on getting your questions answered. 

Remember, everyone who comes here is a volunteer. At one point, they went to the forums looking for information. They liked it here and decided to stay and help other veterans. They share their personal experience, providing links to the law and reference materials and support because working on your claim can be exhausting and beyond frustrating. 

This thread may still provide value to you and is worth at least skimming through the responses to see if any of them answer your question. Knowledge Is Power, and there is a lot of knowledge in older threads.

spacer.png

Question

Hi Hadit;

There is a young women 44 yrs who just lost her husband (retired marine 21 yrs) to a heart attack 2 weeks ago. This marine did not have any SC problems. The deceased marine was recieving $1800 a month pension for retirement. Wendy (the wife) was told that she will not be able to collect any kind of pension from her deceased husband. Would this be correct. However Wendy and her children are allowed to keep the medical insurance.

Is there some kind of VA rep she can talk to in person instead of over the telephone.

Thank you

Kris

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

She can call the VA herself to find out what is available. If she can prove the Veterans heart condition was a result or secondary result of a disability from a disease in Service then she can file for DIC.

I strongly you get her onboard Hadit. There are some folks who have been through it and can help.

For example, The Veteran was diagnosed or had High Blood Pressure in service.

She should start by getting her Husbands service medical record and VA treatment records if any. I assume She has been determined the executor of his estate.

Also check into the benefits the state you live in may offer.

http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?showforum=64

Send her our condolences. I know how hard it is to lose someone and I am also 44 years old.

John

Edited by jbasser

Wow-that is very young to die of a heart attack---

Did this vet have an SBP plan for his survivors?

What did they attribute his death to-on the death certificate-the exact wording- did they perform an autopsy?

Did he get VA medical care at all?

Sounds odd to me that someone this young died from a heart attack-

If he was a VA patient (or even if he wasnt) I suggest that she get copies of his complete medical records.

VA wont charge for the first copy .

And if he was a VA patient she needs to consider if his treatment was appropriate-

I lost my husband at age 47 and proved his death was due to VA health care itself.(malpractice)

Of course this vet might have gotten excellent care- but still- this is alarming.

Even private hospitals and doctors sometimes commit malpractice.

Did he have any other disabilities?

Also she should get his complete SMRs via the NARA web site with an SF 180.

She could make application for DIC- this is the VA's widows benefit for direct SC death- and they will see if she is eligible for a VA pension too-

VA death pensions are income limited and depend on wartime service.

DIC is when the VA determines a direct SC death.

It appears that she may have no basis for a direct SC death claim- but if they (VA) malpracticed and caused or contributed to his death with malpractice they would pay her what I get DIC -under Section 1151.

She should file DIC claim under both of these scenarios.

There is more info here in DIC in the topic section.

She needs to fill out a 21-534 and get a good service rep if she can.

She will have to prove that he had a disability that could have been directly service connected in his lifetime and that this disability caused or contributed to his death.This wont be easy.

She will most probably need a good independent medical opinion.

Or prove that the VA was negligent in his care and that this negligence caused or contributed to his death. A medical opinion will be needed to prove that too.

Edited by Berta

• HadIt.com Elder

Something is wrong here. The retired Marine had paid into Social Security. Isn't the widow and underage children entitled to SSA survivor spouse pension?

Hi Hadit;

There is a young women 44 yrs who just lost her husband (retired marine 21 yrs) to a heart attack 2 weeks ago. This marine did not have any SC problems. The deceased marine was recieving $1800 a month pension for retirement. Wendy (the wife) was told that she will not be able to collect any kind of pension from her deceased husband. Would this be correct. However Wendy and her children are allowed to keep the medical insurance.

Is there some kind of VA rep she can talk to in person instead of over the telephone.

Thank you

Kris

I re-read this topic-pension taken from widow ?????

A widow sure cant get a VA pension in 2 weeks after death-

we need more info-

Chuck is right- when Rod died I got survivors SSA benefits for me and my daughter.But this only involves widows with children under 16 years of age.

• veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• Advertisemnt

• question-001.jpegLooking for Answers? Here are tips for finding the answers you seek.

All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. To post, you must register. Registration is free. You can register for a free account here.

You can read the forums without registering.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question.
    2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.
    3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading to:

Post straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    • I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
        • I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed.
    • This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines

<——>