VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Veterans With 100% Disability

Rate this question

Guest johnson123

Question

Guest johnson123

Dear Veteran's, 100 % Permanent Disabled,

You have the right to use ALL facilities on the Bases, including Legal Services. I now have a claim in and I now have a JAG that is my POA. I hope this information may help another Vet.

Johnson

• Answers 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
Any american can get assistance at any American embassy and cousulate. You do not have to be a veteran.

Go to the Link again: there is important information about veterans able to receive medical treatment in foreign countries for service connected medical issues. Canada, for example, has an agreement with their veterans affairs to treat US vets. ~Wings

Guest johnson123
A JAG officer cannot legally be your POA for VA claim purposes it is called a conflict of intrest. As a retiree I can not even get a JAG officer to represent me in any court of law. JAg officers also have no legal authority outside a military base or military setting. You may have gotten lucky and gotten advice from a JAg officer due to the ignorance of someone in that office because only active duty and retirees are authorized legal aid. But to be sure a JAG can never act as an attorney for a retiree in any legal preceding and this includes acting as a POA for va claims. Unless things have changed in the last year (which is when I last used Jag at Randolpha AFB ) I think you are sadly mistaken in you advice concerning legal services.

Guest johnson123

I disagree with you, My JAG is not ignorant, he is a Major at the Army Headquarters Army CeCom Life Cycle Management. He has signed a VA Form 21-22 A and sent it to VA. He is my POA. Conflict of Interest? I do not think so. A JAG can handle a Federal Issue. Va and BVA, etc...are Federal Law. I have an appointment with him this friday. He has already found 2 claims, adjudificated and final, that VA failed to inform me of. My file has 12 volumes. He got those files fast too! Va had only 20 days to reply, so please do not state what you do not know. A 100% Veteran can use a JAG. I have used this Officer for 5 years and have met Veterans and Military Retired at that office. I hope this enlightens you to what you stated, that I was wrong, maybe some bases have different rules?, I live in NJ and the JAG is my POA.

• HadIt.com Elder
I disagree with you, My JAG is not ignorant, he is a Major at the Army Headquarters Army CeCom Life Cycle Management. He has signed a VA Form 21-22 A and sent it to VA. He is my POA. Conflict of Interest? I do not think so. A JAG can handle a Federal Issue. Va and BVA, etc...are Federal Law. I have an appointment with him this friday. He has already found 2 claims, adjudificated and final, that VA failed to inform me of. My file has 12 volumes. He got those files fast too! Va had only 20 days to reply, so please do not state what you do not know. A 100% Veteran can use a JAG. I have used this Officer for 5 years and have met Veterans and Military Retired at that office. I hope this enlightens you to what you stated, that I was wrong, maybe some bases have different rules?, I live in NJ and the JAG is my POA.

Are you retired? In all my 9 years at Hadit, I have never heard of an active duty JAG acting as a POA for a short-timer, vet. ~Wings

I don't want to be a bad guy, and I don't like calling anyone out, but ... I will tell you again, that a Jag officer cannot legally represent you in a VA Claim because he works for the government and the last time I checked to represent you would be called a conflict of interest, ( he cannot fight the government since he is paid by the government). He also cannot legally represent you in any civil matters. Now if you are using a Jag officer for a POA he is not representing you as a Jag officer, but as a private citizen. You can appoint anyone you POA, but legally an active duty Jag officer can not by law represent you as a JAG Officer. The most a JAG officer can do according to military regulations is to advise you on what course you can take, but he isn't going to appear in any civil court or in front of any va board as your represenative. Don't you think that if a JAG officer could act as POA's that all veterans with an Id card would be using them instead of service officers of the dav, AL, or VFW.... under the circumstances I outlined above it just is not legal, it fact it is against military regulation. Maybe your Jag officer is in the reserves, how else could he stay at one base for five years especially in a time of war?

• HadIt.com Elder

Folks I see that we disagree. If we disagree, lets just agree to disagree or take it off of the board.

Whos right whos wrong does not concern me at all,

Lets move on.

J