VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I'm Confused Over Diagnostic Codes

Rate this question

Rockhound

Question

The standards to meet the current DSM IV have changed so much and it appears that my Acute Schizophrenic episode is now listed as Schizophreninform disorder. If one were to look at my original medical summery notes of my condition, there is no way that it meets this standard for this particular diagnsosis.

Looking at the current standards for DSM IV, it would appear that I more meet the standards for Schizoaffective disoder, depressive type, back then.

How do I see about getting a current evaluation of my condition then and whether it is the same as what I am suffering now, not withstanding that a brain injury complicates this process?

My psychotic episode was quite acute, with less than a 24 hr. onset that anyone could attest to. It was after a catatonic faze and after being medicated for a couple of days, that I at least came to my senses, enough to get out of bed and wonder into the shower room of the psychiactric ward, I was a patient on, an then proceded to pass out or become catatonic again, who knows and it was at this time I received my head injury. After I regained consciousness, I could not remember the past two or three days leading up to that time, but I had an almost instant recall as to where I was after exiting the shower room, since I was familiar with the psychiatric ward from my duties at the hospital.

I'm at the point that I am so confused, that I am droping my psychiatric claim or for what I believed was a CUE claim, that I am now going to spend my efforts trying to SC my head/brain injury as Residuals from a TBI, which I have now been able to get some helpful evidence to show that probably my problems after being medically seperated from service, stem from this injury and not from the psychiatric illness I believed it was from.

My head hurts and is swimming over this, it's no wonder I couldn't get a hand hold of this case in the past. to many twists and turns and not very many of my own making.

Rockhound Rider :lol: B) B)

Edited by Rockhound

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Just wondering what is your question about ICD vs DSM?

With all the changes since 1973, how am I to be sure that the DC code which reflected ICD codes back then and the DSM IV used today, is the correct one, when It doesn't appear to corrilate with my symptoms back then.

Seems like your symptoms have been consistent, however diagnoses and codes have come into being some since the past. Just like the diag of TBI...this is used now and is new and never was referred to before. Look at PTSD, prior shell shock and others mental probs.

As educational advances occur new diag come about, new ICD 9 and 10 codes come about and the DSM's manuals too. The physicians,some, and the coders have to stay abreast of the changes. The cross over is different when one is diag with mental/psych disorders. We now have coders working in the medical field to reflect the payment reembursement for hospitals, clincs, nursing homes, and other health care facilities too. Eval the best diag to be used to get you the best/favorable results. Check with your health care provider too.

With all the changes since 1973, how am I to be sure that the DC code which reflected ICD codes back then and the DSM IV used today, is the correct one, when It doesn't appear to corrilate with my symptoms back then.

That is going to have to be a doctor question I am afraid.

I will have to agree with you on this one Ricky and I usually only agree to disagree. LoL :angry:

But it will probably have to be one of those $1,500.00 or more answers, I'm afraid. :(

I need my past diagnosis clarified, A current diagnosis, and a strong nexus that connects them together.

Bah Hom Bug!

Rockhound Rider :P

Rockhound,

I think I posted this suggestion in another one of your threads but if not, I suggest you contact the forensic psychitrist that Josephine used. He was able to go back 44 years in her case and connect all the dots.

Good luck!

TS Snave