VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Observation From A Father

Rate this question

BamaCoast

Question

My wife and I have been at a lost understanding the mood swings, up and downs, problems remember things, he cannot sleep most nights and problems with balance. Sometimes we think he is over medicating but cannot find any evidence that he is but he almost seems drunk at times. These periods come an go and seem to be happening more often.

We almost believe his tbi has cause him to be bi-polar however we are not getting much help from his local VA mental health and medical care provider locally is not very good. He has an appointment with a VA Phyciratist every 90 days and that is it.

I don't think they have a good understanding of TBI as least not here. We live just outside of Mobile, AL.

Does anyone know if the new state of the art clinic in Pensacola, FL has a good treatment plan for TBI? It is just about an hour drive from where we live.

I have about had it with the care he is receiving right now. I am going to talk the defense and veterans brain injury center tomorrow. We have to find help.

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
My wife and I have been at a lost understanding the mood swings, up and downs, problems remember things, he cannot sleep most nights and problems with balance. Sometimes we think he is over medicating but cannot find any evidence that he is but he almost seems drunk at times. These periods come an go and seem to be happening more often.

We almost believe his tbi has cause him to be bi-polar however we are not getting much help from his local VA mental health and medical care provider locally is not very good. He has an appointment with a VA Phyciratist every 90 days and that is it.

I don't think they have a good understanding of TBI as least not here. We live just outside of Mobile, AL.

Does anyone know if the new state of the art clinic in Pensacola, FL has a good treatment plan for TBI? It is just about an hour drive from where we live.

I have about had it with the care he is receiving right now. I am going to talk the defense and veterans brain injury center tomorrow. We have to find help.

Hello Dear Father and Mother, and Welcome

I know little of TBI, but other veterans are here with that diagnosis. And I know noothing of the current VA Medical Modalities for treating TBI . . . I can help research.

However, I do know something about the VA Claims process and would be happy to help when and where I am able.

Hopefully, you have gathered together service medical records, service personnel records and all post service medical records.

Have you filed a VA Claim for TBI?

Please feel part of our family of veterans helping veterans!

I know that others will chime in . . . keep posting and asking questions!

~Wings

• HadIt.com Elder

Try this number I found from the DVA

http://www.dvbic.org/

the "Defense and Veterans Head Injury Program," DVBIC is:

A multi-site medical care, clinical research and education center

A unique collaboration of the Department of Defense (DoD), Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) health care system, and civilian partners

Funded through the Department of Defense

In 2007, DVBIC became the TBI operational component of the newly established Defense Centers of Excellence for Psychological Health and Traumatic Brain Injury.

WHAT WE DO

Develop and provide advanced TBI-specific evaluation, treatment and follow-up care for all military personnel, their dependents and veterans with brain injury

Conduct clinical research that defines optimal care and treatment for individuals with TBI

Develop and deliver effective educational materials for the prevention, treatment of TBI and management of its long-term effects

DVBIC is specifically committed to the effort to prevent, treat, and provide education on TBI for US military members currently on active duty, National Guard and reservists recently injured in the line of duty, their dependents, and retired military personnel.

FOR MORE INFORMATION

Download our fact sheet: pdf or text format

FOR HELP, CONTACT:

info@dvbic.org

To protect your privacy, do not use voice or e-mail to convey personal health information.

I am praying for you and your family. I can only imagine what life must be like for your son.

I see where you write your son is being treated at a VA mental health facility and see's a psychiatrist every 3 months...does he have a diagnosis of TBI?

Did he receive a disability rating with his discharge?

Do you have a vso helping you with his claim?

Does Biloxi offer tx for TBI?

How long has he been out of the military?

Does he work any or go to school?

What does he do to occupy his time?

Have you looked up his medication and checked for the side effects they may exhibit?

Have you ever talked (with his release of info for you)to his Dr's about his treatment plan and the objectives they are working on with him?

Are there any vet groups he might attend in the area clinics geared towards vets of his age and war time service?

If you could give us a little more background info there are folks here who will offer assistance too. Act now, do not delay. It is wonderful he has parents who will step forward and help him. Stay the course and with help things can get better. :angry:

My son is rated at 100% by the VA. His closed head injury was part of the rating.

I have talked many times to his iraqi freedom rep about tbi. Nothing seems to get

done. He does not have a vso working on his tbi claim. I don't think biloxi has anyone

who specializes in tbi treatment. He sleeps very little and especially at night and is

not able to work. He has met a very nice girl who is going to move in with him soon.

He spends most of his time alone and this is not good. My wife and I has taken

countless hours taking our son for treatment and we can't do it all anymore.

We both work and my wife is working seven days a week. Hopefully his new girl friend will

work out and she can help him with his medical needs such as appointments. I have talked over

and over again with the va about his treatment plan and they have not detailed a plan at all.

We have about lost all confidence in the VA. I did call the defense and veterans head

injury program and did not get anyone on the phone. I did get a return call but missed however

the lady did say she would call me again tomorrow. Thanks for any help.

• HadIt.com Elder

Was your son medically retired from the Military? if so is he entitled to tricare. If he is, get him away from the VA and into the private sector. The majority of brain injuries occur during auto accidents.

These folks have more experience than the VA and he wiull receive better care.

As far as a TBI claim, If your son is rated 100 percent for a closed head injury, The VA may consider a TBI claim as pyramiding.

I hope this is not the case but I woujld not put it past them.

John