VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

My Congressmans's Reply To Shredder Gate

Rate this question

Rockhound

Question

Deleted the link I hope, posted letter again using a word processor.

I don't know what I did but I hope this letter from my Congressman has been attached to this post. It is in responce to my inquiry about what he was doing or going to do about the Shredder Gate scandle. Here is his reply:

Edited by Rockhound

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Sorry I couldn't do it the right way, but here is the letter.

October 23, 2008

Jim XXXXX

Thank you for contacting me to express your outrage about the conduct of the

Veterans Benefits Administration's in handling veterans' claims. I appreciate your thoughts on this important issue.

Jim, I work hard to ensure Nevada's 300,000 veterans receive the benefits and health care they need. As you may know, the Department of Veterans Affairs just

confirmed that ten documents mistakenly ended up in shredder bins in three regional offices in Detroit, St. Louis, and Waco, Texas. This mishap was discovered during a random Veterans Administration Inspector General's audit. The St. Petersburg, Florida, regional office is currently being investigated by the Inspector General for improper shredding. Joe Davis, of the Veteran of Foreign Wars said, "This is potentially one of the worst cases of mismanagement I have seen in a long time."

The VA's Inspector General is currently conducting an extensive investigation to determine that this situation is not a more widespread. All 57 VA regional offices are currently under strict orders by the VA administration to certify in writing that they are taking the necessary steps to determine that they do not have any documents in the shredder bins that should have been acted upon. Please rest assured that I will keep your thoughts in mind as I work to see the VA takes corrective actions to ensure every veteran receives the benefits they deserve.

I want you to know that I have supported many pieces of legislation that will help veterans in Nevada. For example, I was troubled by attempts to increase TRICARE fees and premiums for military retirees and their families. I supported legislation to stop increases in TRICARE fees, the National Defense Authorization Act for fiscal year 2009 (H.R. 5658), which blocked increased fees, premiums, and drug co-payments for participants in the TRICARE network. I strongly supported and voted for H.R. 5658 for this reason. Recently, with my strong support, the House also passed the Military Construction and Veterans Affairs appropriations bill for fiscal year 2009. This bill contains a record level of funding for Nevada's veterans. The legislation contains $72.7 billion in total funding, which is $8.8 billion above last year and $3.4 billion above the President's request for veterans' health care and benefit programs. This funding level is the largest in the history of the Veterans Administration. I voted for this important legislation, which passed the House.

I believe Congress also needs to remain committed to our newest veterans who

have served in Iraq and Afghanistan. Our country has a tradition, since World War II, of offering educational assistance to returning veterans including a veterans' tuition, books, fees. a monthly stipend, and other costs. Unfortunately, with the increasing cost of higher education, the G.I. Bill has not provided enough assistance. To correct this I supported increasing G.I. Bill benefits when Congress recently considered the Iraq and Afghanistan Supplemental Appropriations bill. This bill included an amendment that expanded the the G.I. Bill to restore the promise of a full four-year college education to veterans. Also, this amendment would allow service members to transfer educational benefits to their spouses and dependents. I supported and voted for this amendment, which became law on June 30, 2008

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me about this very important

issue, and please be assured of my wholehearted commitment to supporting veterans. If you have other concerns in the future, do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

DEAN HELLE

Member of Congress

Rockhound Rider :angry:

Edited by Rockhound

Rockhound,

Ten documents in three RO's...give me a break! So thank you man but look at what I have done...give me a break. Yada yada yada.

Sorry, I couldn't get it to load for me, thought I did something wrong so I copied it from a word processor and then I had to do some line corrections. I've never attached anything before, I don't understand how you can access the link when I can't.

Rockhound Rider :angry:

[Rockhound,

I was dissing your congressman, not you! I got the download 1 landscape and one picture I read it fine...I was making fun of the reply you got in your return letter. Please know I would NEVER write anything nasty to you. You have been a big help to me and other yets. The " 10files..." was in response to what your congressman referenced to. I have never been able to send/attach works here, so you are up one on me. I respect you and your deligence to help all of us here.

Next time I will be more clear when I want to diss someone who I felt dissed you. ;) :angry: :P :o

quote name='Rockhound' date='Oct 28 2008, 12:05 AM' post='111331']

Sorry, I couldn't get it to load for me, thought I did something wrong so I copied it from a word processor and then I had to do some line corrections. I've never attached anything before, I don't understand how you can access the link when I can't.

Rockhound Rider :(

No harm no faul, I thoght some how the file I attached came up 10 times. It didn't occur to me that you were refering to the files that were found in the shredder bins. Even though this letter is dated OCt 23, I'm sure it was drafted well before then and the information referencing the files is a bit old. I was surprised he responded at all. So far he is two for two in letters that I have written to him and replied to them as well. I realize that it is probably some underling that is actually answering, but at least they are making the effert to stay in touch with their constituants.

I contacted my Senetor, but I have yet to here from him. Of course his office isn't up for election this year like Congressman Dean Heller's is.

RR :angry: