VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd And Ssdi

Rate this question

jessejames

Question

Working with combat Nam vet whose C&P 2 years ago was 45 GAF, he has been through the PTSD program twice. We have continued the Appeal for an increase from the 30% awarded for PTSD and the 60% awarded for Cardiovascular Disease secondary to PTSD. We also filed for SSDI and it has taken 2 years of appeals to get SSDI for PTSD and Cardiovascular, SSDI is paying him backpay for the little over 2 years from SSDI claim date. Just got his latest C&P in from the VA, says he remains at 30% PTSD. I do NOT want to start a NEW claim by submitting the SSDI Award which was based on the VA records from 2 years ago, but isn't there a case or Memo somewhere that the VA must consider SSDI Awards? His latest GAF after going through 2 PTSD programs and continuing in treatment was a 48. He stopped working 2 years ago because of the Cardiovascular (heart attack & open heart surgery), PTSD and medications affecting him being able to hold his job where he had worked for over 23 years.

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes, you are correct, I believe the VA has to consider the SSDI decision but don't necessarily have to agree w/it. I would submit the SSDI decision as additional evidence to the existing claim. If the claim is at the BVA, I suggest waiving the original RO deciding and considering the SSDI evidence, otherwise the BVA will remand the claim for the RO to rule. jmo

pr

JesseJames-

You said that this vet has been through the "PTSD program" twice. I hate to say it but that could be the proverbial kiss of death for the PTSD claim. The VA is pushing their PTSD program immediately upon returning OIF/OEF vets and now all other vets and then declaring them much improved or in extreme cases cured.

Those of us with PTSD know that this is complete BS. The key is to file before going through "the program".

Good luck with helping this vet...I sincerely hope it works. The SSDI should be enough to push it through. Take care,

JesseJames-

You said that this vet has been through the "PTSD program" twice. I hate to say it but that could be the proverbial kiss of death for the PTSD claim. The VA is pushing their PTSD program immediately upon returning OIF/OEF vets and now all other vets and then declaring them much improved or in extreme cases cured.

Those of us with PTSD know that this is complete BS. The key is to file before going through "the program".

Good luck with helping this vet...I sincerely hope it works. The SSDI should be enough to push it through. Take care,

Yes, I know about all the "cures" for Iraq & Afganistan PTSD vets that the VA is pushing. This guy is a Nam vet and both times, the conclusion of the PTSD Program Director was that in controlled living situations, the vet did improve...but that in normal everyday living, his PTSD symptoms would not improve. The C&P just done bears this out completely and they are just trying to screw him, they haven't changed. I will write it up stating that we are NOT submitting NEW Evidence with the SSDI approval since it was based on records the VA already had. He has a combined 130% now VA, but it equals 80% VA Math, so I am going for TDIU or 100% PTSD.

JesseJames-

Forgot to mention, we did file BEFORE he went through any PTSD program, we filed in 1999 and they awarded him 30% PTSD...we have kept this claim going through appeals for 8 years, but since he was still working until he had to stop in 2006, I am just asking for retro back to 2006. The SSDI was filed in 2006 and just finally got awarded after getting a good attorney. I know I have seen some info on SSDI and PTSD connected, but can't find the good info I had, that's what I was looking for.

Jesse.go ahead and file for TDIU.because if he stopped work because of his service connected disabilities,he sould be able to get TDIU.This is what i would do,i would download form 21-4192 (request for employment information)get him to take it by the last job and let them fill it out (the reason he stopped work)and get an appointment with his primary doctor, and take his medical records with him and also his award letter so the doctor can see that he is unable to work and if he have a pretty good doctor,he/she would probably write a letter stating the reason,why he will never be substantial gainful employable now and in the future.

mobie

I'VE BEEN READING THIS TOPIC ABOUT PTSD AND SSDI, BASICALLY HOW CAN YOU GET YOUR PYSCHIATRIST OR SOCIAL WORKER TO WRITE A STATEMENT PERTAINING TO YOUR JOB LIMITATIONS OR SAYING YOU CAN'T WORK. IT SEEMS TO ME THAT VA DR'S ARE VERY HARD TO TRY AND GET A LETTER FROM. THAY'S WHY I ASKED FOR SOME ADDITIONAL COUNSELING FROM A CIVILIAN PSYCHIATRIST. HOW WOULD YOU APPROACH THEM TO ASK ABOUT YOUR LIMITATIONS AND WHETHER NOT CAN YOU HOLD DOWN A JOB? CAN SOMEONE HELP ME OUT WITH THIS?