VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd And Ssdi

Rate this question

jessejames

Question

Working with combat Nam vet whose C&P 2 years ago was 45 GAF, he has been through the PTSD program twice. We have continued the Appeal for an increase from the 30% awarded for PTSD and the 60% awarded for Cardiovascular Disease secondary to PTSD. We also filed for SSDI and it has taken 2 years of appeals to get SSDI for PTSD and Cardiovascular, SSDI is paying him backpay for the little over 2 years from SSDI claim date. Just got his latest C&P in from the VA, says he remains at 30% PTSD. I do NOT want to start a NEW claim by submitting the SSDI Award which was based on the VA records from 2 years ago, but isn't there a case or Memo somewhere that the VA must consider SSDI Awards? His latest GAF after going through 2 PTSD programs and continuing in treatment was a 48. He stopped working 2 years ago because of the Cardiovascular (heart attack & open heart surgery), PTSD and medications affecting him being able to hold his job where he had worked for over 23 years.

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

ltate90-

i guess just ask. i see that you are already at 100%...are you still working?...are you trying to get IU as well? let your pdoc know what you need the letter to say and why. if this is what you are trying for, you have to be extremely specific. same with ssdi, let the pdoc know why you need the letter.

PURPLE,

I'M 100% IU P&T FROM THE VA, IT'S JUST THAT I'M HAVING A HARD TIME WITH SSDI. DO YOU KNOW WHETHER THE AWARD FOR IU WILL HELP OUT. I'VE BEEN 100% IU P&T SINCE SEPT 05. I'M HAVING HARD TIME WITH MY PRIMARY DOC GETTING THAT INFO, SHE ONCE TOLD ME TO GO TO PHYSICAL THERAPY AND LET THEM HANDLE THAT. NOW I'M TRYING TO GET MY CIVILIAN PSYCHIATRIST TO DO THE SAME. RIGHT NOW I'VE ONLY SEEN THE NEW DR. JUST ONCE FOR MENTAL PROBLEMS. STARTING NEXT MONTH I'LL BE SEEING HIM AND A SOCIAL WORKER TWICE A MONTH.

Itate,what i did,even before i was service connected,i got me a private clinical psychologist by recomendation from my VSO,and i stay with him throughout the whole process,i was awarded 30% initialy in 10 months and i filed a nod and my private psy wrote a statement for me saying that i was unable to work now and in the future and 7 months later i was awarded 100% TP

mobie

Hi Jesse, I'm dealing with the second half of my husband's claim that we just got a denial from BVA on Friday when I read this post. You mention that you were/are working with a combat 'Nam vet who has already been awarded 60% for Cardiovascular Disease secondary to PTSD. They gave my husband 50% for PTSD but completely denied his claim for cardiovascular disease secondary to PTSD. I have 30 days to get a response in for him...between myself and his VVA rep in RI. I leave nothing for chance. We're in SC. Can you comment on how you got his claim approved because we had his cardiovascular surgeon and cardiologist write outstanding nexus letters, and we provided surgical documentation, lab reports, etc. I even found scientific/medical abstracts online to corroborate the links. Are there any specific cases to cite? Thanks for any advice. ~~Ruth

Working with combat Nam vet whose C&P 2 years ago was 45 GAF, he has been through the PTSD program twice. We have continued the Appeal for an increase from the 30% awarded for PTSD and the 60% awarded for Cardiovascular Disease secondary to PTSD. We also filed for SSDI and it has taken 2 years of appeals to get SSDI for PTSD and Cardiovascular, SSDI is paying him backpay for the little over 2 years from SSDI claim date. Just got his latest C&P in from the VA, says he remains at 30% PTSD. I do NOT want to start a NEW claim by submitting the SSDI Award which was based on the VA records from 2 years ago, but isn't there a case or Memo somewhere that the VA must consider SSDI Awards? His latest GAF after going through 2 PTSD programs and continuing in treatment was a 48. He stopped working 2 years ago because of the Cardiovascular (heart attack & open heart surgery), PTSD and medications affecting him being able to hold his job where he had worked for over 23 years.