VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Claims From Creditors And Taxation.

Rate this question

jbasser

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Congress made this law. Do not allow anyone to attempt to attach your VA comp.

§ 13.111 Claims of creditors.

Under 38 U.S.C. 5301(a), payments made to or on account of a beneficiary under any of the laws relating to veterans are exempt, either before or after receipt by the beneficiary, from the claims of creditors and State and local taxation. The fiduciary should invoke this defense where applicable. If the fiduciary does not do so, the Veterans Service Center Manager should refer the matter to the Regional Counsel for appropriate action.

[40 FR 54251, Nov. 21, 1975]

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I used it on my credit union about 8 years ago. They took money out of my checking account to make a car payment that I was behind on. I told them that my money was from the VA and they couldn't touch it. They tried to argue with me and I told them they better learn what they are talking about, because the next time they heard from me it would be through my lawyer. I checked the ATM a few hours later and all the money was back in there :angry:

It came in handy for me too. State of Fl froze my Checking account and my VA check, took me a week but they had to belly up so I could pay my rent....