VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Filed For Increase In Pdst

Rate this question

jessie0054

Question

Hello:

I just file my husbands claim for an increase in his PDST.

I have for the last year or so been keeping a diary of symptoms i have noticed in my husband's condition. The lastest was on Oct 4th, we were driving on the interstate and a car went to pass us and when it did it back fired which sounded like a big gun going off. My husband drove off the side of the road nearly hitting a road side before we got stopped. The most of which i hate is that he has become so suspicious of my daily actitivies without cause. I have caught him twice with voice recorders hooked up to our telephone lines. The first time i found it while cleaning and had to move to sofa in the basement family room which is rarly used. I just called it to his attention and he said he was sorry and i said i didn't want this to happen again. I thought that would be the last of it until a couple months ago i was cleaning out the car we were giving to one of the kids and found the instruction sheet and recept on a tiny voice recorder he had bought a few months ago. He first tried to lie about it until i showed him the evidence and said i wanted it now. he then went into the garage and i was more than surpized where he had hidded it. It took a lot of work to run that phone line out there.

He now checks the caller id to see who has called. He thinks i don't notice because i'm in the other room but i can still see the phone from where i sit. This is just a couple things i have on my list.

After this i demanded that he call his Mental Health Physican and make an appointment, I just got that report of his recent visit.

The Dr said that he was seen with a worsening of his ptsd symptom being intrusive memories, nighhmears with night sweats, Hypervigilant and arousal, Social isolation, Irritability, depressed mood and avoidance behaviors .

At the end of the 45 min session he wrote that his ptsd is chronic and severe with job related problems and gaf score of 49.

Axis 1 Clinical Disorder: Anxiety Disorder: ptsd Chronic

Axis 11 personality disorders / traits none

Axis 111 Current medical conditions: see medical history

Axis 1v current psychosocial stressors: Financial & job related

So with this information where would he stand on an increase? He is currently 30 %.

We also file for secondary conditions related to the ptsd such and his heart condition and sleep apenia with the use of cpap.

His Mental health dr signed an Nexis form relating the Sleep Apnea to the ptsd

Thanks Jessie

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I forgot to mention in the first post that my husband is supposed to retire in end of Jan 09. He has to have a physical for work on the 31st of Oct and he will have to declare he has sleep apnea and a heart condition. He is afraid they will try to force him to take early retirement or fire him since he drives an 18 wheeler and has panic attacks at least 3 times a week. So far he has managed to get his truck safety off the roadway when he has one at work. he is so afraid he will lose control and kill somebody or himself. which i'm sure adds to his stress.

I told him to take the early retirement and apply for ssdi [ now i wonder if i should have told him that?? did i sit him up for a disappointment??

Thanks Jessie

Jessie0054,if i was you i would try to get him to stop driving, because he could hurt or kill hiself of someone else, and get him into one of the PTSD programs that the VA offer.With a gaf of 49 and currently rated 30% he could probably get a increase,but remember the gaf score is only one of the tools VA use to rate, and if he is still working,he can only get a 70% Ptsd rating,but knowing how the va works maybe a 50%.He probably should tell them when he have his physical that he is service connected for ptsd,because when he try to get a total disability, Va is going to want to know the reason he retire from his job, and if he is planing on retiring the last of Jan,which is only three months from now,if it was me i would make sure they know that i had ptsd and a early retirement for any service connected disability is a plus when you try to get a total of 100% from va.The diary you been keeping on your husband write everything that you recorded on letter paper an submitt it to the va as a lay statement. Good luck1

mobie

I have to disagree with one thing. Do not get into a PTSD program while trying to get a higher rating for PTSD. Why? The VA will see that you have either completed the program or are in the program and therefore are "getting better" and/or "cured" (which any of us with PTSD know is pure BS) and you can say bye-bye to an increase.

Sneaky? Yes. You have to beat the VA at their own game.

Just my 2 cents worth. Best of luck...

I have to disagree with one thing. Do not get into a PTSD program while trying to get a higher rating for PTSD. Why? The VA will see that you have either completed the program or are in the program and therefore are "getting better" and/or "cured" (which any of us with PTSD know is pure BS) and you can say bye-bye to an increase.

Don't they video tape those PTSD programs?? I get the one on one here at home and been there every week over a year but you know I find it strange they have a program for PTSD (weird). Its like 6 weeks or something isn't it? How is this short time a life altering or changing event, not to take away from it. I guess I just don't understand it............

I always assumed it is better to be in treatment if trying for an increase. It shows that you are doing something to treat your condition. Example: If you quit taking your medication for a condition for which you are rated the VA will take away or decrease your rating.

Additionally just a few months ago I asked for an increase for my PTSD rating while at the same time taking one on one counseling and group therapy at the VA. My rating went from 50% to 100%.

Good luck!