VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Don't Know Where To Turn Next...

Rate this question

drftit808

Question

Hey guys, i'm new so not sure i'm even posting in the right place. I'm stressed to the max and don't know what to do or who else to talk to. I'm getting absolutley no support here and feel like i'm just getting blown off.

Here's the short story:

The beginning of this year we deployed (navy) and I suddenly lost 22 pounds (using same workout and diet routine that gained me 17 pounds 4 months prior) I started waking up with numb hands and tingly arms and just being totally out of breath for hours. I started having dizzy spells and feeling nauseous like i was going to pass out. I kept ignoring until we came back from deployment where i finally went to the ships sick bay. They told me i needed to go to the hospital. At the hospital i was diagnosed with "possible hypoglycemia" and just told to "eat more". The next day i started having the sweatiness, dizziness and fainting feeling. Again... i was told to go to the ER. Here's where it get's interesting.

At the ER i was on the EKG and talking to a tech and remember saying "i think i might pass out", apparantly my heart stopped for 16 seconds and when i came back i went totally stiff and had a seizure. SO i got to stay there for 4 days and of course got no diagnosis... I was told to wear a heart monitor and come back. I came back, had an ultrasound of the heart done and had to wait for 2 MONTHS! to see him again. I just saw hime yesterday, did a tilt table test with no results and told to wait another month! to see the neurologist then he'll try and see me again. I've been being seen for other things in the past few months while they pulled me off the ship, put me LLD, and did a abbreviated medical evaluation board such as unknown testicle pain, sharp neck pain and stiffness, ear infection, etc...

My EAOS is in april leaving me only 5 months to figure this thing out and all i'm getting is "reffered" for moths at a time. A disbled marine buddy of mine is telling me i need to get a med discharge. I've been talking to DAV and the VA with no help at all. Everyone has the same thing to say "wait and see what the docs say", the docs that won't see me for months at a time.

My mom thinks it's all caused by the 3 anthrax vaccines they gave me and put me in contact with the VHC who i wasted $50 sending a copy of my medical record to and of course have seen no results "wait and see"...

I'm at a loss here and super stressed, i'm not allowed to work or drive and don't know where else to turn. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Answers 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Welcome aboard and hang in there. Others with more experience can help you better than I can but I wanted to make what may seem like an absurd suggestion - that you remain in the military, re-enlist if needed, to make sure that you get an accurate diagnosis BEFORE you leave service.

The reason I say this is after reading this board for several years, one of the biggest problems is when a vet does NOT have a diagnosis while in service and has to prove that whatever he has now is what he had then. This is especially hard if there was no firm, clear, or more importantly, accurate diagnosis while in service. If you get out before you have the right dianosis then you finally get the correct diagnosis which doesn't line up with the military's diagnosis you have to depend on the VA examiner to connect the dots or, more likely, get your claim denied and them go the IMO route which is time consuming and expensive (especially if you have heart/neuro problems).

Again, this may seem like an absurd suggestion, and I respect others who might disagree with my conclusion but the logic I use to get there is sound. The easiest way to make sure your future VA claim is adjudicated properly is to make sure the military gives you proper medical care and that you have copies of ALL of your military records.

Don't believe anyone who tells you the VA will take care of you when you get out - they will but ONLY if they approve your claim for service connection. Remember, the military medical boards and the VA do not use the same evaluation method so what one says is not binding on the other.

Good luck with your situation. Others here with more experience with medical issues as well as the VA will chime in to help you. In the meantime, hang in there.

Welcome Aboard,

TS Snave

Edited by tssnave

tssnave is right on, I have seen to many veterans put out without a diagnosis just to have to fight like Hell later to get it service connected and you have no idea what is wrong with you. When you copy those records I would do it without telling anyone or requesting them either because you may find down the road medical records missing that might connect your condition and if you have mental health records get them too. I am with snave most definitely don't leave till you know whats wrong with you and believe me brother you wont have to ask for the door they will show it to you. I'd go home for a while and if it happens go to a real Hospital they will foot the tab if there is no bases near by they did for me I know they will for you but when you loose that bumper to bumper coverage you very well could be left out on your own.

Yup...ditto what was said. Demand a dx!! Don't let them put you out of the service without a firm dx. And first and foremost get a copy of your active duty medical records. If your records are still "paper", go and check them out yourself saying that you have an appt with a civilian provider (make one if you have to and then just cancel it)....and then copy your records. All medical/dental/mental health records to include all tests done, EKG read outs (those are sometimes separate).

And if you have dependents....copy their records as well.

Good luck and take care

Yeah that's the first thing i did was copy all my records from the hospital and then when i went to hand transfer my actual record from the ship to my new place i just kept it. No one is asking for it becuase they all thing that one of the other 3 providers has it. I go every 2 weeks and get copies of all the updates as well...

So, i'm supposed to reenlist? What if i reenlist then they end up deciding to keep me and i'm stuck in for another 4 years? I'm lld six months now but what if they can't find the cause? WOn't they just make me fit for full duty and put me back on the boat?

Yeah that's the first thing i did was copy all my records from the hospital and then when i went to hand transfer my actual record from the ship to my new place i just kept it. No one is asking for it becuase they all thing that one of the other 3 providers has it. I go every 2 weeks and get copies of all the updates as well...

So, i'm supposed to reenlist? What if i reenlist then they end up deciding to keep me and i'm stuck in for another 4 years? I'm lld six months now but what if they can't find the cause? WOn't they just make me fit for full duty and put me back on the boat?

Brother get that "Diagnosis" work it till you get it. If your that sick you are not fit for duty on a ship or combat. like I said they will show you the door, your mission now is to fix or find out whats wrong with you its better than the alternative, you get out you get gravely ill you file to have your problem that you got in service connected you are denied because there was no diagnosis connected to service its 3 or 4 years down the road your confined to a chair or bed or dieing no money for bills no insurance to take care of your medical care to help those that are trying to help take care of you if it gets worse another year and a half goes by while you wait for a BVA. Yes stay till your fixed or diagnosed, times are tough and you got to think about the job market as well, but be smart and think it through these are just suggestions its up to you to make this call. If your are as bad as you say (i don't doubt you) find out whats wrong with you if you have to live at sickbay or what ever you guys call it....

Edited by yoggie2