VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Don't Know Where To Turn Next...

Rate this question

drftit808

Question

Hey guys, i'm new so not sure i'm even posting in the right place. I'm stressed to the max and don't know what to do or who else to talk to. I'm getting absolutley no support here and feel like i'm just getting blown off.

Here's the short story:

The beginning of this year we deployed (navy) and I suddenly lost 22 pounds (using same workout and diet routine that gained me 17 pounds 4 months prior) I started waking up with numb hands and tingly arms and just being totally out of breath for hours. I started having dizzy spells and feeling nauseous like i was going to pass out. I kept ignoring until we came back from deployment where i finally went to the ships sick bay. They told me i needed to go to the hospital. At the hospital i was diagnosed with "possible hypoglycemia" and just told to "eat more". The next day i started having the sweatiness, dizziness and fainting feeling. Again... i was told to go to the ER. Here's where it get's interesting.

At the ER i was on the EKG and talking to a tech and remember saying "i think i might pass out", apparantly my heart stopped for 16 seconds and when i came back i went totally stiff and had a seizure. SO i got to stay there for 4 days and of course got no diagnosis... I was told to wear a heart monitor and come back. I came back, had an ultrasound of the heart done and had to wait for 2 MONTHS! to see him again. I just saw hime yesterday, did a tilt table test with no results and told to wait another month! to see the neurologist then he'll try and see me again. I've been being seen for other things in the past few months while they pulled me off the ship, put me LLD, and did a abbreviated medical evaluation board such as unknown testicle pain, sharp neck pain and stiffness, ear infection, etc...

My EAOS is in april leaving me only 5 months to figure this thing out and all i'm getting is "reffered" for moths at a time. A disbled marine buddy of mine is telling me i need to get a med discharge. I've been talking to DAV and the VA with no help at all. Everyone has the same thing to say "wait and see what the docs say", the docs that won't see me for months at a time.

My mom thinks it's all caused by the 3 anthrax vaccines they gave me and put me in contact with the VHC who i wasted $50 sending a copy of my medical record to and of course have seen no results "wait and see"...

I'm at a loss here and super stressed, i'm not allowed to work or drive and don't know where else to turn. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Answers 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I don't believe an active duty person can see a civilian doc unless the military docs refer them. You can always ask. Just let your military docs know that you'd like to be referred to the nearest civilian hospital (preferrably a large facility) because they don't seem to be able to find a cause for your symptoms. Put your request in writing and ask for an answer in writing.

Or, you can get an outside opinion at your own cost.....but that can add up $$$$$.

Ok so i went in and talked to PSD yesterday and they told me that i now have to wait for my 4 month Re-evaluation which puts me at 15FEB09... only two months out from my EAOS. At that point, from what i understand, they decide weather i'm fit for full duty, still lld, and of course decide on retention or not. I also tried to be refered out to see a neurologist seen they are too bust to see and/or diagnose me and the secretary just yelled at me and told me she was going to move me out to 11DEC instead of 26NOV lol... how helpful =\ so what now? The waiting game?

Ok, so i've searced this and even called TRICARE directly and still haven't found an answer to this question. I live maybe 3 blocks from a civilian hospital where the nearest VA hospital (tripler) is around 20 miles away. Let's say I have another emrgency and "just so happen" to bring in my medical records so the civilian docs know what's going on with my medical history, would the navy cover me with my basic coverage or would i be stuck footing the bill since there is a VA center in the area?

I spent about 15 minutes trying to find an answer for you. Unfortunately, I could not.

It is my belief that an active duty soldier may use a civilian hospital only under emergency circumstances, such as a heart attack. All treatment after the emergency is taken care of must be at a MTF, military treatment facility. Admittedly, I am not completely sure of this...

You might want to call the military hospital in your area and ask someone other than the telephone operator what the requirements are.